¡Basic Fantasy en español!

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: ¡Basic Fantasy en español!

Post by chiisu81 »

I'll let Solo respond with any suggestions as well as a possible file. Please note that the Core Rules ODT file is a monster, and it's not surprising that it causes crashes or just doesn't load correctly; even I am unable to work on it.

The MEGA link from Bitan works (for now), but he didn't follow our file-naming protocol, so I don't know which is truly the "latest and greatest". Hence why Solo will need to let you know which file to actually work from.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I haven't experienced any crashes with the old documents, so I don't know what I can tell you.

As to taking this on, please, feel free! But I don't know what file is most up to date, so your first job is to figure that out...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Artanisace (and anyone else wanting to work on this): I would first check the very first post of this thread, and download the file attached. I'd consider that the latest "official" copy.

Then, if you want, compare it to the "Work in progress v5" that Bitan has linked from his MEGA url. Being the large Core Rules odt, it may not be feasible to use LibreOffice's document comparison feature to try to compare/consolidate the two. If not useable, then stick to the file attached to the first post in this thread.
Artanisace

Post by Artanisace »

Hey guys, thanks for the answer. I was using OpenOffice and seems like it couldn't handle this document, so I downloaded LibreOffice (didn't know is a fork of OpenOffice, updated). I can open it without any trouble now.

Seems like until the files in the MEGA folder are the latest, using the layout of the core book. He was writting the translation in a document without the layout (the one presented in the first comment of the post), and then he was moving the text to the layouted one. I'll take it slowly but surely, and I'll make sure to update from time to time. Good luck me... o buena suerte para mi! :D
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ah ok, I now notice the filesize of the first post's attachment being way smaller than what's in the MEGA link. As you work on the larger document, it will be too large to attach to a post in this thread, and while we have a Projects Dropbox it's for those who have been here awhile and made enough contributions to get added. So, perhaps once you've done enough additional work, if you could email Solo and send him a Dropbox/OneDrive/etc. link. He can then update the first post's attachment. Over time, he can either set you up with Showcase access or such.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I set up a reserved Dropbox folder for the translation; we have one for the Italian translation already.

I want to change the naming convention for translations. Presently we're using a 3-letter identifier using an arbitrary English abbreviation; I'd like to change to the international standard 2-letter codes. This will change the Spanish version from -spaN to -esN, the German from -gerN to -deN, etc. There are so few translations that I think it's safe to just say this here, rather than try to make some kind of announcement or "standard" or something. I'll begin revising the names sometime soon.
Clarion

Post by Clarion »

Dear Solomoriah and other colleagues:
First of all, Solomoriah, let me thank you for bringing Basic Fantasy to live. Although I was born in Spain in 1980, I managed to play D&D Basic Set in 1988 (the Spanish translation of the so-called "Red Box"). Since then I have been luckily accompaigned by Role games and it was thanks to Artanisace (with whom I play regularly) that I first noticed your interesting project.

Having said that, I would like to help in the task of translating the 3rd Edition Core Rules of Basic Fantasy into Spanish. Artanisace and I could, if allowed, join efforts in order to have the text fully translated in a reasonable deadline.

Thanks one more time and I would like to change my username to "Clarion" (my first character's name when I was just eight years old...). If you can help me with that as administrator of the forum, I would be more than pleased :D

Best regards.
Artanisace

Post by Artanisace »

Hi everyone! I didn't advance much on the translation (real life problems, unfortunately); but with Luis helping with it I'm sure we'll give it a big push forward. Soon we'll have this wonderful game in Cervantes' mother tongue! :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Name changed to Clarion.

The main thing is, I need you to share your work-in-progress on a regular basis so that, should something happen to your participation, the work can be completed by someone else. We use a Dropbox folder for sharing such work, and I can send you an invitation if you guys want to use it.

And one more thing... we don't know what "deadline" means around here. :D
Clarion

Post by Clarion »

Ok, as Clarion was a cleric (which indeed I am still playing with), I guess I should better use "undeadline" :D

I will send you an email so you can send me the link to the Dropbox folder.

Thanks for the change of the name and we hope to do a good job.