Beginner's Essentials

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
wezlo

Re: Beginner's Essentials

Post by wezlo »

One thing I noticed on my first read through is the first column in tables doesn’t have a consistent vertical alignment.

For the the ”Character Abilities” and “Typical Actions” tables it’s middle aligned. Elsewhere it’s top aligned. It’s a small thing, but I noticed it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Bottom alignment should be standard. I'll take a look and make a revision for the next release.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Sleep:
"Slapping or shaking a such a creature" --> "Slapping or shaking such a creature"

Ventriloquism:
"...the caster's voice to appear to come from other some location" --> "the caster's voice to appear to come from some other location"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

My working R15 is updated, but I'm waiting to see if additional things are found in R14 before releasing it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

R15 is uploaded. The TOC links should work now (click the page numbers).
Wing_department

Post by Wing_department »

The problem with the Sleep spell (it works on creatures with <=3HD but the creatures, which are immune are >=5HD), as mentioned in the Core Rules thread also snuck its way up to Beginner's Essentials. The Polish translation is almost ready, there's only this spell left (and some proofreading, of course).
The biggest fan of Ockham's razor.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Wing_department wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:20 am The problem with the Sleep spell (it works on creatures with <=3HD but the creatures, which are immune are >=5HD), as mentioned in the Core Rules thread also snuck its way up to Beginner's Essentials. The Polish translation is almost ready, there's only this spell left (and some proofreading, of course).
well the one in BE IS a cut and paste :D
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sleep in the current 4E draft is now 4 and 5 instead of 3 and 5.

BE should get fixed soon. Have to switch to the new font pack.
Wing_department

Post by Wing_department »

First of all: Polish Beginner's Essentials translation is finished! I attach it to this post.
Also:
  • BE uses dice shortcuts (i.e. d4, d20 etc.) but doesn't explain their meaning. Some readers might not be familiar with the shortcuts (and they are pretty much the target reader of the booklet). A short explanation in the intorduction could be helpful to them (as I did with the Polish translation, let me know if it's against the authors' concept).
  • COMBAT>Combat Cycle: "On their turn, individuals may move and then attack (in
    that order), just move, or just attack". I suggest replacing the term "on their turn" with "in their round" or something similar, since this is combat time and a "turn" is a term used to measure time outside of combat. This subchapter is right below the explanation of the difference between rounds and turns, too.
Attachments
BF-BeginnersEssentials-r14-pl1.odt
4e Beginner's Essentials - Polish translation
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 167 times
The biggest fan of Ockham's razor.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Wing_department wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:00 am First of all: Polish Beginner's Essentials translation is finished! I attach it to this post.
Also:
  • BE uses dice shortcuts (i.e. d4, d20 etc.) but doesn't explain their meaning. Some readers might not be familiar with the shortcuts (and they are pretty much the target reader of the booklet). A short explanation in the intorduction could be helpful to them (as I did with the Polish translation, let me know if it's against the authors' concept).
  • COMBAT>Combat Cycle: "On their turn, individuals may move and then attack (in
    that order), just move, or just attack". I suggest replacing the term "on their turn" with "in their round" or something similar, since this is combat time and a "turn" is a term used to measure time outside of combat. This subchapter is right below the explanation of the difference between rounds and turns, too.
I agree for the target audience defining the dice type is probably a good idea, though would need something much simpler than the dice info in the Rulebook (as the entire BE is only 12 pages)

While technically correct, the current wording is as you say confusing, and replacing it with something using round would be much clearer.
No matter where you go...there you are