The Glain Companion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Ironwolf

Re: The Glain Companion

Post by Ironwolf »

I love this supplement. It can nicely function as a general "Basic Fantasy Companion" to expand upon the core rules. Its a clean and simple all-in-one document that almost turns Basic Fantasy into "Advanced Basic Fantasy", in a way. :) I've been a BFRPG fan for years, but somehow I've just discovered this gem today.

I found a very tiny nit-pick though. Page 12, under the Racial Adjustments section. The last line reads:

The Thief Abilities Racial Adjustments Table above details these adjustments.

But that table is printed below the text, not above.

Nit-pick aside, thank you very much for making this document available in The Showcase!
daryen

Post by daryen »

This is almost exactly what I want. Now I'm inspired to make my own version with what I want in it!

Three notes that jumped out at me:

1. You list the Cleric as gaining seventh level spells, but they are neither listed nor described.
2. The Druid Calm or Befriend Animal Chart that is supposed to be on page 30 is missing.
3. It doesn't say that the Ranger and Scout are to use the adjustments to thieving abilities shown in the Thief section. It seems implied, but is never stated.

Also, as a recommendation, where the Paladin is said to revert to just being a Fighter if they violate their code or oaths, it should also state they are never able to use specialization, even if they stay a Fighter.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks for the corrections. I'll get them into the next version, whenever I get around to releasing it... it's not a priority right now.

The table was probably eaten by a LibreOffice flow issue. Pretty much everyday stuff for us, I'm afraid.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

You can forget my first point. The number of cleric 7th level spells is so small they get no table. So, there isn't supposed to be a chart. Didn't figure it out until later.

The other two still stand, though.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am The table was probably eaten by a LibreOffice flow issue. Pretty much everyday stuff for us, I'm afraid.
Sounds like a new monster:

Libre-O a bane to sages, mages and proofreaders alike. This beast looks for documents that are being edited and will stealthily attack the document eating pages and tables to cause the author and editors to have to go over the document again and again. And once it is sent to the scribe the formatting is all changed. Being incorporeal it is impossible to hit even with magic weapons. A move known as the "three-finger-salute" will stop it temporarily, but it will eventually return. :D

Everyone have a safe and fun Fourth of July weekend.
Ironwolf

Post by Ironwolf »

Looking through this document today, I noticed that the Classes section does not list what races Druids and Illusionists can be. Whereas the other "new" classes do mention what races are available.

It also seems that the "new" Races section only lists the core rulebook classes when it talks about the race's available classes. For example, the races section says that Gnomes may become Clerics, Fighters, Magic-Users, Thieves, or Magic-User/Thieves. But later in the Classes section, it says all races can become Bards, all races can become Paladins, etc. I don't know if you want all of this wording to match up or not.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I may or may not fix the errors noted; this book is, effectively, my house rules document, and it's "good enough" for that usage. If I ever planned to print it, I'd put a little more effort into it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org