Magic-User Options

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Sir Bedivere

Re: Magic-User Options

Post by Sir Bedivere »

An idea I want to import here from the 'What are you magic-user house rules?' thread:
Sir Bedivere wrote:If you don't allow multi-classed MUs to wear metal armor, then it seems like one could incapacitate an MU by putting him in a metal cage, or forcing him to wear chainmail. You could even have a small room with stone facade walls over iron to trap a powerful MU. I think the concept is pretty interesting, but in the past it's seemed like more trouble to work out all the ramifications than it was worth. Thinking about it now, it seems kinda cool and maybe I should add it to the supplement.
EDIT, Feb. 4, 2012: From the same thread, is it just iron or any metal? Could the MU wear bronze armor? And what happens when a dungeon hall runs through an ore-rich area?
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

More from the same thread, and this one came before the previous post:
Master Lok wrote: some old house rules to give them a fighting chance:
1) max hp to start. even an extra d4 to start.
2) extra spells in the spellbook.
3) remove many low level non-combat-related spells and make them cantrips e.g. detect magic, magic mouth, read languages, ventriloquism.
4) I used to give new magicusers bracers ac8 (when ac10 was naked).

new suggestions:
1) I don't like the idea of spellcasting in metal armor, even for elf fighter-mages. For every wizard, no one could cast magic spells while wearing metal armor. if they were multi-class, i'd give them leather armor. for elves, they would have to wear elfin chain (akin to magic armor - rare find). Why? Because if the players could wear armor, then so can the monsters (i.e. NPC opponents).

2) more useful spells. I mean doesn't it make sense for the wizard school to teach some level of basic armor protection as the very second spell (first being read magic)? Does it make any sense that the wizard school would let their students go off adventuring armed with a light spell or floating disc? ('have fun storming the castle!'
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I don't really like the idea of MU in armor either (even as combo-classed). But I will concede that Combo-Classed Elves can wear 'elf-made' armor (meaning armor made by elves to fit elves, not necessarily a specific Elfin Chain). This is specifically an Elf perk, and it goes back to the roots of the game.

In my mind, these Elf-Made Armors have the essential qualities of the Mage-Armor idea in your supplement. Other races don't wear armor because they do not have these armors available, they are not elves, and they don't have the additional training to utilize such.

That all said, assuming these are all trained/learned qualities, and with enough $$, a character could have such made for him (and be trained in its use). But I would (for game purposes) only allow for characters with Combo classes utilize such armors (and would be limited by the other combo class in question). So, a Thief-MU would be allowed to train/acquire Leather (more if the GM allows Thief to use other armors, and of course at the expense of Thief abilities). Fighter/MU (or Cleric/MU if allowed) can utilize any armor that is constructed in the manner of Elf-Made (or your Mage-Armor). Again, single classed MU would not have such options, even Elves.

Other than the Armor Subject, my favorite new house-rule is the idea of the Arcane Bolt. A Magic-User is never unarmed, able to either shoot an arcane bolt (range 10/20/30) for 1d4 damage (modified by INT), or deliver the same damage by hands delivery, must roll to hit (with normal modifiers, typically Str and/or Dex). The damage is a generic magical force (concussive, like a hammer or sling bullet). For flavor, I will allow a MU to launch such from his or her Dagger, Staff, Rod, or Wand... and if magical, giving the appropriate bonus to the attack... for instance a +2 Dagger would give +2 Hit/Damage bonus on such attacks cast through the dagger. For Wands, Rods, Staff, I will assign bonus commensurate with deemed power-level of the magic item.

Additionally, when MU hits 5th level, he may choose to utilize other forms of magical energy, choosing from Fire, Cold, Electrical, Sonic, etc. Each additional 5 levels (ie 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th) he chooses another energy form to add to his repertoire. As an additional perk, when MU chooses a particular energy type, he gets a +1 bonus on saves versus attacks using such.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

That's a great idea! Do you limit how many times a day they can use it?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Smoot, I like the idea of extending Arcane Bolt to touch, and the idea of expanding to fire, etc., at higher levels.

Just to explain where it is different in the supplement, I decided to use an intelligence roll instead of to hit because this is a magical ability instead of a mundane weapon. Strength, dexterity, and armor would all be irrelevant to my mind; those are the province of the fighter, cleric, and thief.

Also, BTB, the MU has no reason to want an INT higher than 9, so I wanted to reward having a higher INT. If success in using the Arcane Bolt depends on intelligence, that's a pretty good incentive, I think.

Finally, I used d3 instead of d4 so there'd be less overlap with using a dagger, and because the bolt ignores armor so I wanted to reduce its power slightly. (Not that that is so very different.)

Hm, if it's concussive, then skeletons would take full damage. That's a good detail to include.

I'll keep your version in mind when I write the third revision.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Blazeguard wrote:That's a great idea! Do you limit how many times a day they can use it?
No limit. It is basically a flavorful way to give the MU unlimited strikes (at power level of dagger). Does not seem too game breaking, and gives the MU something to do in combats that is more 'wizardly'. In effect, it is just the equivalent of having unlimited daggers to throw (blunt force though, instead of cutting/piercing).

One perceived drawback is that it usurps the function of Magic Missile somewhat, but in all reality, that is OK with me and allows MU to memorize other sorts of spells than Magic Missile. A simple change that makes the MU a tad more functional at lower levels, and allows for more chance to memorize esoteric utility spells instead of combat related ones.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Sir Bedivere wrote:Smoot, I like the idea of extending Arcane Bolt to touch, and the idea of expanding to fire, etc., at higher levels.

Just to explain where it is different in the supplement, I decided to use an intelligence roll instead of to hit because this is a magical ability instead of a mundane weapon. Strength, dexterity, and armor would all be irrelevant to my mind; those are the province of the fighter, cleric, and thief.

Also, BTB, the MU has no reason to want an INT higher than 9, so I wanted to reward having a higher INT. If success in using the Arcane Bolt depends on intelligence, that's a pretty good incentive, I think.

Finally, I used d3 instead of d4 so there'd be less overlap with using a dagger, and because the bolt ignores armor so I wanted to reduce its power slightly. (Not that that is so very different.)

Hm, if it's concussive, then skeletons would take full damage. That's a good detail to include.

I'll keep your version in mind when I write the third revision.
All very reasonable interpretations on the same idea. d3, INT for all mods, however I would not ignore armor of target (concussive attack) even with the d3 damage considered... It also complicates combat (figuring out unarmored AC of targets, and what about monsters etc. unnecessary complication to combat... just use normal AC).
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

SmootRK wrote:... I would not ignore armor of target (concussive attack) even with the d3 damage considered... It also complicates combat (figuring out unarmored AC of targets, and what about monsters etc. unnecessary complication to combat... just use normal AC).
No, the INT roll just determines if the MU successfully casts the spell. There's no to-hit roll; if the INT roll is successful, the bolt hits, just like Magic Missile.

(For ability rolls, see p. 141 of the Core Rules. There's a chart there to roll on.)

EDIT: Basically, I didn't want the Arcane Bolt to be just like a thrown magical dagger, so it's not treated like a weapon. AC, to hit, dexterity & strength are all irrelevant. Arcane Bolt in the supplement is a form of spell.
Last edited by Sir Bedivere on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

SmootRK wrote:
Blazeguard wrote:That's a great idea! Do you limit how many times a day they can use it?
No limit. It is basically a flavorful way to give the MU unlimited strikes (at power level of dagger). Does not seem too game breaking, and gives the MU something to do in combats that is more 'wizardly'. In effect, it is just the equivalent of having unlimited daggers to throw (blunt force though, instead of cutting/piercing).

One perceived drawback is that it usurps the function of Magic Missile somewhat, but in all reality, that is OK with me and allows MU to memorize other sorts of spells than Magic Missile. A simple change that makes the MU a tad more functional at lower levels, and allows for more chance to memorize esoteric utility spells instead of combat related ones.
Keeping the to-hit role (and I like the idea of Int-based bonus), MM still has three advantages: 1)auto hit, 2)more (potential) damage, and 3)multishot at higher levels.

From a resource and balance perspective, I'd be inclined more towards the d3 if it's truly unlimited. This matches the damage (though not the range) of a sling stone - which is another "free" missile option. It would also keep dagger-tossing a relevant option - and also leaves the Pyromancer's Fire Athame spell somewhat useful.

An idea I have been toying with is the use of Foci - a wand, staff, athame, etc., that has no other effect beyond allowing a MU to better focus their casting. The initial thought was using this to allow "free" 0 level spell casting (which might be a bit much), but in the arcane bolt arena, this could be what takes you up to d4 damage, and possibly increases range. I'm looking at this as purchasable equipment, but not cheap - something in the 25gp+ range, and difficult to replace outside of a wizards' lab or academy. It also helps you to define the "look" of a wizard in your campaign by what tools they use.

My first inclination was to say "let them pick the energy/effect," but then I came to the conclusion that this would be rather imbalancing - who wouldn't take fire at 1st level (besides an ice or water themed caster)? I suppose you could allow initial non-force damage for appropriate specialties.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I don't think auto-hit would be an option in my mind... automatic (even just) 1d3 every single round would make the MU more powerful than the fighter at fighting (at low levels), and continues to be more powerful as higher level spells come into play (albeit these can get quickly used up in long combats or multiple combat situations in any given day).

Leave the Auto-Hit for Magic Missile spell or other higher level functions.