Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by daryen »

Seven wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:22 pm I'd rather we don't get into individual guys like Asmodeus, Demogorgon and the like.
For the record, I completely agree with you.

In fact, I am not sure individuals like that should even really get stats. To defeat a unique, powerful individual, the solution should be something besides beating it to death with metal sticks.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

AlMan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:53 pm
Bumblepig wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:42 am
Seven wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:16 am That's not Pazzuzu. Pazzuzu is the king of wind demons. That is just a lowly wind demon subject.
Gotcha. Yeah, I'm always mixing up my mesopotamian wind demons... :roll: :twisted:
You could call it Derecho, I'm still cleaning up after the last one came through a month ago.
That's pretty hilarious (the name idea, not the fact you're still cleaning up)
Seven

Post by Seven »

A Derecho would be a great name for a wind demon, but it would be quite stronger than the one I wrote. Would be solitary and be able to level up a village. The one I wrote levels up crops.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

This corn was 7 to 8 feet (2 to 2.5 meters) tall and was flattened by the derecho that went through Iowa last month. And according to the Des Moines Register there were 14 Million acres of crop destruction through the state of Iowa (that amounts to about half the crop land in Iowa). I can see your point about a Derecho being a bigger demon. Your Pazzu would probably hit about 500 to 600 acres about 1 mile squared (2 kilometers squared).
Attachments
20200820_180056.jpg
20200820_180056.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 3419 times
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

This is how I envisioned the Ward Pixie.
I'm no artist, so if it isn't up to snuff to use for that entry I completely understand.... the Ward Pixie can wait its eventual turn in the Art queue (and yeah, I understand Field Guide Vol 3 illustrations aren't at the top of the priorities list. :) ).
Ward Pixie by Kyle Hettinger.png
Ward Pixie by Kyle Hettinger.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3397 times
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I like the style 8-)
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Elf, Brugh

Armor Class: 12 (armored 17)
Hit Dice: 1*
No. of Attacks: 1 weapon
Damage: By weapon
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing: 1d6, Wild 2d6, Lair 5d10
Save As: Magic-User: 1 (with elf bonuses)
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: S each; G in lair
XP: 37

The Brugh Elf is an elf subspecies that dwells in underground complexes beneath earth mounds known as “Brughs”.
A Brugh Elf has a slight build and is about the same height as the average Human. One usually has thick hair, which can be any color. Though a Brugh Elf shares the pointed ears so commonly associated with elfkind, its riotous hair often obscures this feature.
A Brugh Elf is generally capricious, quick-tempered, and indolent. Each can also be extremely vengeful for perceived slights, real or imagined..
In folklore, the Brugh Elf is known as a type of “fairy”, which can lead to confusion with other
beings of the same name.
Brugh Elves are powerful magicians, with innate magical abilities similar to those of a brownie. Each Brugh Elf can detect magic at will, become invisible at will, and once per day can cast confusion as a 7th level caster. Unlike a brownie, however, a Brugh Elf cannot attack or cast spells while invisible. A person peering through a stone with a naturally bored hole in it can see an invisible Brugh Elf as though by a see invisible spell.
A Brugh Elf Magic-User can be a particularly formidable foe, casting spells as through he or she is one level higher than other Magic-Users at that class level.
The Brugh Elf has unique strengths and vulnerabilities related to its fairy nature and ancient curses visited upon their wicked race:
• Increased (+1) damage from metal weapons.
• Reduced (-1) damage from stone or wood weapons.
• Inability to enter any dwelling with a crafted metal object (e.g., horseshoe) placed over its doorway.
• An inscrutable mind makes Brugh Elves immune to charm or sleep spells, or any form of mind control.

The average Brugh Elf wields a stone-tipped spear or shortbow. One is rarely armored, but when a Brugh Elf does wield armor it is fashioned from tough hides of exotic subterranean monsters such as the purple worm.
Brugh Elves have a completely alien mindset and inherent magical abilities, so it's not recommended that the GM allow them as a playable race.
Last edited by Bumblepig on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like em.

I would suggest a re-write losing all the "they" pronouns. We try to use singular writing style for monster entries. For instance (and just a rough effort at such re-writing, there can certainly be other choices made here):

A Brugh Elf has a slight build and is about the same height as the average Human. One usually has thick hair, which can be any color. Though a Brugh Elf shares the pointed ears so commonly associated with elfkind, his riotous hair often obscures this feature.
A Brugh Elf is generally capricious, quick-tempered, and indolent. Each can also be extremely vengeful for perceived slights, real or imagined.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

SmootRK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 pm I like em.

I would suggest a re-write losing all the "they" pronouns. We try to use singular writing style for monster entries. For instance (and just a rough effort at such re-writing, there can certainly be other choices made here):

A Brugh Elf has a slight build and is about the same height as the average Human. One usually has thick hair, which can be any color. Though a Brugh Elf shares the pointed ears so commonly associated with elfkind, his riotous hair often obscures this feature.
A Brugh Elf is generally capricious, quick-tempered, and indolent. Each can also be extremely vengeful for perceived slights, real or imagined.
Done. Thanks, I was unaware of that convention.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not fond of the singular approach, to be honest, but given the era we're cloning we don't use "singular they."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org