Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by Seven »

Hrūl don't sound advanced enough to use sabres. I'd go with stone axes instead.
Should probably have a lair number. Being that big, I wonder what kind of lair it would be.

For Issuv I would limit the number to 1. I think community creatures are a lot more likely to be competing with one another than living in fake communities of fake creatures. However, when an Issuv is found in an area, they would be a common encounter for that area.

For the Rhek, I don't see the need for a lair, but I don't understand the 1d6 or 1d10. When is one number more appropriate than the other? That should be spelled out.
Last edited by Seven on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Skerraxis

Why is there a range for AC?

Maybe it's already fixed but the text seems to be missing a word "as an extra immediately after being hit".

Also, movement seems low for an enraged creature.
Seven

Post by Seven »

This is inspired from the Tupilaq.

Bagobone

A Bagobone, also possibly called a Bugaboo, is an undead construct. It is made from the stitched up skins of animals and filled up with organic matter and bones. Some of the bones have to be human. The creature can be turned as a mummy and is immune to sleep, charm and hold. It can only be injured by spells, fire and magic weapons. When dry, any sort of fire based attack will do double damage, but when wet, a fire based attack will only do the minimum possible damage, so every die is treated as a 1. Furthermore, blunt weapons will only do 1 single point of damage and piercing weapons will only do 1 point plus the magic bonus of the weapon.
A bagobone is single minded and will always be trying to carry on the single command that was given to it when it was created.

Bagobone, Aquatic*

Armor Class: 18 (doubledagger)
Hit Dice: 8**
No. of Attacks: 2 claws/1 bite
Damage: 1d6/1d6/2d10
Movement: 20' Swim 50'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 8
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: None
XP: 1015

An Aquatic Bagobone is made from the skin of a large seal to which is attached the head of a great white shark and the claws of a polar bear. The creature will typically be instructed to guard a river passage. It is able to capsize canoes and small boats and will seek to climb aboard large vessels.

Bagobone, Forest*

Armor Class: 18 (doubledagger)
Hit Dice: 6**
No. of Attacks: 2 claws/1 bite
Damage: 1d4/1d4/1d10
Movement: 20' Swim 10'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 6
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: None
XP: 610

A Forest Bagobone is made from the skin of a moose or a buffalo to which is attached the claws of a bear and the head of a lion. This creature is typically created to guard an entrance near a pond or a waterfall.
Last edited by Seven on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey All,

I've created this monster long ago and forgot to submit them. Let me know if we could add them? It's alright if not :)

Troll, Marsh

Edit (chiisu81): see revised entry below
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Seven

Post by Seven »

For No. Appearing, I don't think you need a Wild number if it's the same, but it doesn't hurt.
I like to see a lair number for things that breeds and raise offsprings.
So maybe just add Lair 1d10.

Not sure why the AC is worse than regular trolls.

Not sure "Consult the monster reaction table in the core rules." is needed. Maybe that's a good reminder to put at the beginning of the book though.

I don't know why bashing into the ground would hurt less than being submerged.
I don't believe BFRPG has a clear drowning mechanism.
I'd go with a saving throw to see if the victim managed to hold its breath.
A drowning character would have to fight for air while a character holding his breath would need to continue fighting with an underwater penalty for non-thrusting weapons.

Finally, I don't see how you would burn a troll with cold.
I like the addition of lightning, which is hard to come by, but I think it's better to stick with fire, which mean you might have to dry the trolls first. Yikes. But the cold could slow them if you want to go that way.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

For No. Appearing, I don't think you need a Wild number if it's the same, but it doesn't hurt.
I like to see a lair number for things that breeds and raise offsprings.
So maybe just add Lair 1d10.
Will add!
Not sure why the AC is worse than regular trolls.
Marsh Trolls are designed to be like less tanky cousins of the real thing.
I don't know why bashing into the ground would hurt less than being submerged.
I don't believe BFRPG has a clear drowning mechanism.
I'd go with a saving throw to see if the victim managed to hold its breath.
A drowning character would have to fight for air while a character holding his breath would need to continue fighting with an underwater penalty for non-thrusting weapons.
I will add the paralysis roll. The reason why I want the ground pound to deal less damage is to make the drowning effect more significant, it's their go-to tactic and should deal more damage.
Finally, I don't see how you would burn a troll with cold.
Cold is slowing down healing in this case!

Troll, Marsh

Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 7*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws/1 bite + Special
Damage: 1d4+2/1d4+2/1d8+2
Movement: 30' Swim 50'
No. Appearing: 1d10, Wild 1d10, Lair 2d10
Save As: Fighter: 5
Morale: 9 (7)
Treasure Type: D
XP: 735

Just like their cousins, marsh trolls stand at around 9 feet tall and weighs 500 or so pounds. Their hide and skin have a deep black and green color to them, while their hair is usually a weird shade of orange, unnaturally colorful. One other key physical feature for these creatures is that their noses are extremely long and pointy, to the point they could poke one's eye out. They have a great lust for anything shiny or see-through and they have a basic capacity for intelligence. In their very limited understanding of social norms, the marsh troll with the most shinies is the leader. As such, they could be bartered with, instead of fighting. Consult the monster reaction table in the core rules.

These creatures swim well, even better than their walking capabilities. As such, they are usually found around swamps, rivers, or lakes. In this instant, local townsfolk may have called them river trolls, to they were first discovered in marsh regions.

Marsh trolls have the power of regeneration; they heal 2 hit points of damage each round after being injured. They can regenerate slightly faster than their cousins due to their great adaptability. A troll reduced to 0 hit points is not dead, but only disabled for 2d10 rounds, at which point it will regain 2 hit points. Note that the troll may “play dead” until it has regenerated further.

If the marsh troll hits with one of its claws and a bite, they may perform a special attack. They must succeed in connecting said attack with a roll. If they succeed, they can submerge the victim underwater. The victim must make a save vs Paralysis or be dealt an additional 2d8 damage, or half as much on a successful roll. If there is no water nearby, the marsh troll will simply bash the creature into the ground with this attack, but that will only deal 2d4 damage, though there is no save allowed.

Damage from cold and lightning cannot be regenerated, and must heal at the normal rate; a troll can only be killed by this sort of damage. The lower morale rating (in parentheses) is used when the troll faces attackers armed with cold or lightning. If a troll loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in one turn; or, the creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump. Trolls are hateful creatures, reveling in combat and bloodshed. Though trolls could easily use a variety of weapons, they much prefer the sensation of flesh being rent by their teeth and claws.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

A friend of mine drew the Hag and the Marsh Troll. If you will use his drawings - please add his name: Evan Griffiths!
Attachments
Marsh Troll
Marsh Troll
Marsh-Troll-ink.jpg (353.39 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
Hag
Hag
Hag-ink.jpg (495.49 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Those are great 8-)
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Thanks! I especially like the way the Marsh Troll turned out, very creepy!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »