Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
TrickyNikki

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by TrickyNikki »

Thanks for the feedback Seven!

Name: It's actually a slavic myth thing, there's a bunch of undead with the names of where exactly they drowned, so Lake Water, Sea Water, Swamp Water and etc. The water part is essential to keep that theming.

Idk if there is a Salt Water Skeleton or not, I am planning to do a series of these guys, each with the variation of where exactly they drowned. I also think we need more creatures that are around water for the game anyways.

When it comes to number of appearing, I just took what the Skeletons get and downscaled it a bit to fit with the power level of these creatures. If I am not mistaken, the dice without a designated destination are meant to represent how many of them you could encounter in a dungeon.

Edged weapons and detail on the type of damage, just added these changes, let me know if it's better now!
Creativity is just a single letter away.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Rework:

Skeleton, Lake Water

Armor Class: 15
Hit Dice: 2*
No. of Attacks: 1 weapon + Special
Damage: 1d6 or by weapon
Movement: 30' Swim 40’
No. Appearing: 3d4, Wild 3d8
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: None
XP: 100
Lake Water Skeletons (LWS for short), are dangerous undead that are created over a considerable time period. LWS resemble normal skeletons with one exception, they have bloated remains of their lungs intact. A being must first drown within the lake, and over time its body is transformed into the creature that will stalk the banks of the lake they died in. It is important to note, that only ones who drowned within the lake can become an LWS. Simply throwing a corpse into the place will not have this effect, as the being must drown within the waters.

This process is where LWS get their special ability. Once per encounter, LWS may do an extra attack which consists of using magically formed lungs to excrete water, which was the reason for their untimely death. The beam shoots out in a straight line of 15’ in length and 5’ in width. Anyone within this range must make a save vs. Dragon Breath or take 2d6 damage. This damage comes from the tormented soul of the drowned person and should be considered the same as damage from unholy water.

Just like normal skeletons, LWS take only ½ damage from edged weapons, and only a single point from arrows, bolts or sling stones (plus any magical bonus). As with all undead, they can be Turned by a Cleric, and are immune to sleep, charm or hold magic. As they are mindless, no form of mind reading is of any use against them. LWS never fail morale, and thus always fight until destroyed.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Suggested

Skeleton, Lake

No. Appearing: 3d4, Wild 3d8

Lake Skeletons are dangerous undead roaming their place of death. A Lake Skeleton resembles a normal skeleton but having the bloated remains of their lungs. A being must first drown within the lake, and over time its body is transformed into the creature that will stalk the banks of the lake they died in. Dying by other means or on other places will not result in the transformation.

Once per hour, a Lake Skeleton may do an extra attack by projecting water from its lungs. The stream shoots out in a straight line of 15’ in length and 5’ in width. Anyone within range must make a save vs. Dragon Breath or take 2d6 damage.

Just like normal skeletons, Lake Skeletons take only ½ damage from edged weapons, and only a single point from arrows, bolts or sling stones (plus any magical bonus). As with all undead, they can be Turned by Clerics, and are immune to sleep, charm or hold magic. As they are mindless, no form of mind reading is of any use against them. Lake Skeletons never fail morale, and thus always fight until destroyed.

The no. appearing feels off, should they only appear on the lake they died? Should a lake be on a dungeon and be treated just as dungeon for no. appearing?
I removed some text as it seemed redundant.
I changed the frequency of their special attack, as "per encounter" seemed off and more new school way.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

I like all your changes except for the name. As I said, it's a whole theme with the word Water :)

As for Number of Appearing in a dungeon, I mean it's possible that a necromancer took them and used them in his lair, knowing the process of how to create them and etc.
Seven

Post by Seven »

The slavic myth thing is interesting, but I think it gets lost in translation.
Lake skeleton sounds better. Often in my campaign, the PCs often never learn the real names of monsters, so it's a minor thing. Here comes some more Wet Bones.

A Lava Lake Skeleton could be a thing though. :twisted: (I'd make it from the bones of a Fire Giant).
Seven

Post by Seven »

For the number, regular skeletons don't happen naturally.
Somebody raises them, so it makes sense to make a bunch at a time.
Or the ones made by a lesser wizards/priest who could only make 1 or 2 don't hang around permanently.
For a naturally occurring thing, it makes more send to have a full range such as 1d20.

Same thing for the dungeon number, if they have to be captured and moved into the dungeon, I don't see why you couldn't find one or two.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Seven wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:31 am The slavic myth thing is interesting, but I think it gets lost in translation.
My thought exactly, "lake" already speaks of water, there is no need to put it on the monster's name.
Seven wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:51 am For the number, regular skeletons don't happen naturally.
From its description it gave the impression that Lake ones does rise on their own.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

As Seven Suggested:

Skeleton, Lava Lake

Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 7+2*
No. of Attacks: 1 giant weapon or 1 thrown lava rock
Damage: 3d6 or 2d6
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing: 1, Wild 1d3
Save As: Fighter: 7
Treasure Type: E plus 1d6x1,000 gp value ruby
XP: 735
Although rare, Lava Lake Skeletons have been immortalized due to how dangerous and resilient they are. They are created through a special ritual that involves the corpse of a fire giant, an active volcano, and a large, expensive ruby. The ruby is placed within the mouth of the corpse and then the prepared body is thrown into a volcano. After three days of ritualistic chanting, the necromancer is able to raise said creature from the dead, now filled with dangerous, constantly aflame fluids.

Unlike their living counterparts, lava lake skeletons do not need to find a rock to throw. Instead, they manifest said lava-filled rock within their appendages to throw at their opponents. The damage dealt by this attack counts as fire damage.

Just like normal skeletons, lava lake skeletons take only half-damage from edged weapons, and only a single point from arrows, bolts, or sling stones (plus any magical bonus). As with all undead, they can be Turned by Clerics, and are immune to sleep, charm , or hold magic. As they are mindless, no form of mind reading is of any use against them. Lava lake skeletons never fail morale, and thus always fight until destroyed.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Remade Lake Skeleton

Skeleton, Lake

No. Appearing: 3d4-2, Wild 3d8

Lake Skeletons are dangerous undead roaming their place of death. A lake skeleton resembles a normal skeleton but has the bloated remains of their lungs. A being must first drown within the lake, and over time its body is transformed into the creature that will stalk the banks of the lake they died in. Dying by other means or on other places will not result in the transformation.

Once per hour, a lake skeleton may do an extra attack by projecting water from its lungs. The stream shoots out in a straight line of 15’ in length and 5’ in width. Anyone within range must make a save vs. Dragon Breath or take 2d6 points of damage.

Just like normal skeletons, lake skeletons take only half-damage from edged weapons, and only a single point from arrows, bolts, or sling stones (plus any magical bonus). As with all undead, they can be Turned by Clerics, and are immune to sleep, charm , or hold magic. As they are mindless, no form of mind reading is of any use against them. Lake skeletons never fail morale, and thus always fight until destroyed.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Seven wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:48 am That's a weird name. Water seems wholly redundant here.
I'd suggest either Fresh Water Skeleton or Lake Skeleton.
I don't remember if there is a Salt Water Skeleton (or the equivalent) in the guides.
I think it's fine that does that those that drown at sea becomes something else, but I think bogs and swamps could produce the same result.

If they are created by drowning, why is there a minimum of 3?
Also, what's the non-wild value for? Don't they stay around the lake?
Normal damage reduction for edge weapons?
Maybe more details on the nature of the water damage. Is it like some time of unholy water that burns living being on contact? (Acid damage)
Drowned Skeletons maybe?
"The Drowned"
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony