Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by chiisu81 »

Correct, FG3 is still open for submissions. 8-)
Elf_Bait

Post by Elf_Bait »

Uhul
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 3*
Attacks: claw/claw/bite or by weapon type
Damage: 1d3/1d3/1d4 or by weapon type
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing: 1d6, Wild 4d6, Lair 4d6
Save As: Fighter 3
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: Q each, B & O in lair

Huge and hairy, uhul have the appearance a shaggy-furred humanoid with the head of an owl. Feather cover their head and dapple their shoulders. Possessing sharp talong and beaks they are formidable unarmed opponents but prefer to use weapons made from natural materials such as wood and bone, the latter of which they take from their preferred food sources of other humanoids.

Uhul are skilled stalkers and hunters, exhibiting cunning and cruelty in their tricks and traps they set for their unsuspecting victims. They prefer to shadow their prey from afar, often over a number of days in which they will move closer to harass and harry potential prey. Preferring to remain hidden from sight, they will make haunting calls and disorienting sounds to keep their quarry on edge and unable to rest. If they feel they may be up against a more formidable foe, they will often send in a few of their number to make a probing attack before committing to a main attack. These probing attacks are seldom to the death and will often retreat once they have acquired a good idea of the capabilities of their enemy.

Uhul have a mystical ability to move through their environments without leaving any sign of their passage. They leave no footprints or scent behind regardless of the terrain they move through, making them impossible to track through non-magical means. So stealthy are they, that they surprise on a 1-3 on a 1d6.

If the Uhul successfully strikes with both claws in one round, the Uhul also squeezes their prey in a powerful hug that does an additional 1d8 points of damage. Uhul are quite strong and when they use weapons crafted by their own people (and thus designed for their clawed big hands) they do an additional +1 point of damage. In spite of their relatively large bulk Uhuls are quite stealthy and will surprise their opponents 50% of the time.

If 5-6 Uhul are encountered, there is a 25% chance that one of them will be a leader. Leaders carry magical totems crafted from the regurgitated remains of previous victims. These totems allow the leader to cast a bestow curse spell once per day. If encountered in their lair, 1 in 6 will be a leader of this sort. The lair will also include a shaman who is 4HD and casts spells as a 4th-level Cleric.

Art Credits: Illustrations were done by Todd Ulrich as imagined and contracted by me, Eli Arndt. I own the art.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

As you are the owner of the art, you should know that submitting it places you under the same terms as other artists. You are granting me personally non-exclusive rights to use the artwork in Basic Fantasy Project works. In general, the art will be used where appropriate, so in the Field Guide as well as possibly in any adventure that includes your submitted creature.

Of course, your stats and descriptions must be submitted as Open Game Content, as with all submitted text.

I've only encountered a handful of people who have commissioned art, so when one pops up I feel like I need to explain all that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Elf_Bait

Post by Elf_Bait »

Being a common sense guy, I assumed as much.

I'm happy to make it available for the compendium and adventures. I even have earlier, less refined, sketches done by myself that might be used and would be happy to post them as well.
leon

Post by leon »

Some of the creatures in the "Unusual Monsters" section of Terror in Tosasth would be appropriate for FG3. I grant non-exclusive rights to my crude sketches of what these guys look like. I have better quality images offline if needed.

EDIT: replaced images with attachments.
cactus-man-1050x1504.jpg
cactus-man-1050x1504.jpg (232.99 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Cactus Man
Armor Class: 15
Hit Dice: 5
No. of Attacks: 2 claws or hug
Damage: 1d8/1d8 or 2d8
No. Appearing: 1d3
Save As: Fighter: 5
Treasure Type: None
XP: 360

The cactus man resembles a Saguaro cactus with arms and legs. In battle, he will either bash with his arms or attempt a hug, treated as a grapple that deals 2d8 damage each round. He can communicate empathically with plants.
dogboy-1080x1672.jpg
dogboy-1080x1672.jpg (259.91 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Dogboy
Armor Class: 18
Hit Dice: 3
No. of Attacks: 1 bite or 1 breath
Damage: 1d6 or 3d6 breath
No. Appearing: 2d6
Save As: Fighter: 7
Morale: 7
Treasure Type: A
XP: 600

Dogboys are 5’ tall semi-humoid versions of hell hounds that have learned to walk on their hind legs. They are cowardly bullies who will taunt victims and then flee to avoid getting hurt.
Like hell hounds, they choose to breath fire 1 in 6 times, producing a 10’x10’ code that does 3d6 damage.
tommyknocker-1050x1331.jpg
tommyknocker-1050x1331.jpg (426.53 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Tommyknocker
Armor Class: 15
Hit Dice: 2
No. of Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1d4
Movement: 40’
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Thief: 2
Treasure Type: none
XP: 75

Tommyknockers infest mines where they cause trouble by stealing or sabotaging operations. These mischievous little people stand only two feet tall, with big heads, long arms, wrinkled faces and white beards. They possess the thief-like abilities of Move Silently and Hide using a 75% success rate, which allows them to move about a mine undetected. They are master pickpockets, succeeding 99% of the time.

Tommyknockers have a mischievous nature that drives them to sneak up on unsuspecting adventurers to steal small items from pockets or backpacks. They may also spill containers or damage machines, such as dropping pebbles into gears. But for all the distress they cause, miners can appreciate one beneficial quality of the tommyknocker: the habit of tapping to communicate a level of danger. Out of sight, the little fellows tap out a rhythm that increases in tempo as those they ogle approach danger.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

While editing Estates of the Eliari found some creatures that didn't have all attacks listed in the stat area. May want to do a look through for any in this book. And for any future entries.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

LURKER

Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 10
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage: 1d6 + suffocation
Movement: 10', Fly 30'
No. Appearing: 1-4
Save As:
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: C, Y
XP:

At ground level, the lurker is similar in appearance to a manta ray. However, its normal method of hunting is to attach itself to the ceilings of caverns and dungeons until it detects prey below. Viewed from underneath, it has the appearance of natural stone. There is only a 10% chance of recognizing it in this position. While up to 4 may be present in an area, they are territorial and will space themselves accordingly.

A lurker will attack with surprise on a roll of 1-4, dropping from above and enveloping everything within its 20’ wingspan. Trapped prey is then constricted for 1-6 damage per round, and will eventually suffocate in 2-5 rounds unless freed. Only small weapons are effective while inside its grip, and these must have already been held by prey at the time they are covered.

On the ground, lurkers move slowly and they prefer to fly toward missed or additional prey. They are unintelligent and will fight to the death.
Last edited by toddlyons on Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, don't we already have one of those?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:09 am Okay, don't we already have one of those?
I couldn't find it. You do have the Cloaker, which is nearly as old and has a similar technique but a different environment.

Edit: Actually the "Cloaker" in FG1 is nothing like what I remember growing up. If it's alright, I'd like to draft something called a Cunning Cloak, which corresponds to the creature my party encountered back then.
Last edited by toddlyons on Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Chi did say I should submit this one. It scratches a personal itch of mine, but doesn't necessarily have any merit. It's somewhere between a monster and a trap.

DISPLACER KITTEN

Armor Class: 13
Hit Dice: 2-4*
No. of Attacks: 2 blades
Damage: 1d3/1d3 (6-9 months), 1d4/1d4 (12-15 months), 1d6/1d6 (16-20 months)
Movement: 50'
No. Appearing: 1d4+4
Save As: Fighter: 2 (6-9 months), 3 (12-15 months), 4 (16-20 months)
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: none
XP: none/optional

Highly desired as pets by people who don’t know any better, these offspring of the Displacer are a quarter to a third of adult size, but otherwise blue-black and catlike, with bladed winglike arms. Their displacement abilities are less well developed, and their actual location can vary between 1’ and 3’ from the image they project. This results in a 50% chance of a miss by any adventurer making their first attack (or attempt to grab), and a -1 to hit on subsequent attempts.

The desire to own these creatures has led to many thieves becoming poachers, and no shortage of pet lovers trying to do it for themselves.

They will always be encountered in their lair; never wandering, unless being led by a parent. They will never be left unprotected before the age of 6 months and none will be older than 1 year. If any in their litter are threatened, all will swarm the attacker. Depending on the commotion, the GM will determine the chance of one or both parents returning to the lair.

In the event that any are successfully abducted, there is no chance of domestication if they are raised together. Hand-reared alone, they will appear to be tamable. If their food, exercise, and social needs are fully met, there is a 70% chance they will obey their new “owner” at the age of 6 months. Friends and associates have no control, but will not be attacked. This chance decreases by 5% per month and must be re-rolled monthly—meaning a 0% chance by 20 months under ideal conditions. If 1 of their 3 needs are not fully met for a month, the chance decreases by 15% the following month. If two needs are not fully met, the kitten will go feral.

At the GMs discretion, a happy kitten may hunt for and/or protect its owner. A feral or uncontrolled one may flee, harm its owner, or attack the entire party, depending on its treatment during captivity.

No experience points are earned killing this as a former pet, but hopefully it becomes a learning experience for everyone involved.