Druids Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Druids Supplement

Post by Seven »

Technically, Dispel Evil should be reversible.

Supplement 3 had Dispel Magic as a Druid level 4 spell.
Dispel Evil is level 5.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

daryen wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am1) First the easy one: I would like to replace the spell "Dispel Evil" with "Dispel Magic". Dispel Evil is particularly focused on outsiders, which makes no real sense for Druids. They are grounded in the natural world, so having this one-off spell dealing with them doesn't fit well. Instead, I'd like to replace it straight up with Dispel Magic. This does have a long association with the Druid classes, and its pretty useful. So, I'd like to do a one-for-one swap on it.
No, sorry, this one stays. The druid's connection to the natural world means that outsiders are particularly distasteful to them; further, they are the only line of defense in the frontier and woodland areas where they are most common, and they must have spells that support that position.
daryen wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am2) Second one is really a sneaky way to get an extra spell: I would like to make Heat Metal reversible, so that it includes Chill Metal. The damage chart remains unchanged; it just causes frostbite damage instead of burning.
I'm not against this. What does everyone else think?
daryen wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:50 am3) Third one is a little more subjective, but here it is: I'd like to replace Wall of Fire with Wall of Thorns. Wall of Thorns just seems a little more thematic, and in the 3.5SRD both Wall spells are the same spell level.
Eh, not terribly fond of this. I'm not at all sure where everyone gets the idea that druids hate fire... druids are connected to the entire natural world, equally at ease with fire as much as air, earth, and water. And at higher levels, they inspire terror in those who cross them.

I guess it's the modern connection of druids with environmentalism. Druids are people, concerned with the natural world, certainly, but more concerned with the tribes or villages they serve. They do not fight against natural things, they cooperate with and control them. The "treehugger" druid is a newer construct; we are focused on the older, more fearsome version.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

It's more a "treepasser" actually.

I think it's informed by the campaign one runs.
You're druid might be closer to a witch because you don't have many religions.
My druid might worship Gaea which is definitively earth centric.

Yes, the original had fire. Maybe not Flame Strike though.
That one has a biblical reference.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I see the point about flame strike.
daryen

Post by daryen »

For the record, I am not "anti-fire" for Druids. I *am* "tree-hugger" Druid, though.

Anyway, the reason for the Wall of Thorns instead of Wall of Fire for Druids is this: I only get one Wall spell; I can't have both.

Both are completely "on topic" for the Druid, and either can be used. But ... I think that Wall of Thorns has more utility for a Druid, is more flexible, and is Druid-only. Wall of Fire is a Magic-User spell as much as anything. Using Wall of Thorns gets a new spell in the game.

Flame Strike can be viewed as Biblical, but then, it is really just Call Lightning with Fire instead of Lightning. That said, I am more than willing to replace it. Hey ... Flame Strike is a 5th level spell. I could replace it with Wall of Thorns ...
daryen

Post by daryen »

Also, how about the magic items section?

Here are the magic items I want to add:
Ring of Control Animal: This item is from the BFRPG rules, but is highlighted as a particularly Druidic item. When created by a druid it is usually made out of polished bone.
Ring of Control Plant: This item is from the BFRPG rules, but is highlighted as a particularly Druidic item. When created by a druid it is usually made out of polished soft wood harvested from the core of a large bush.
Ring of Photosynthesis: This ring made of what appears to be a tight collection of tiny green vines. When worn, the vines will writhe and (painless) grow into the wearer’s finger. It takes a full week for the ring to fully bond with the wearer. Once bonded, the ring provides two benefits. The first is that as long as the wearer is outdoors for a full hour of sunlight (or two full hours of overcast weather), the wearer doesn’t need to eat or drink anything for the day. The second is that each hour of complete rest in the outdoors is the equivalent of four hours of sleep.
Ring of the Dryad: This ring is made of highly polished wood. When worn the user is able to manifest the effects of a tree sanctuary spell once per day. The duration is for up to an hour, though the wearer can exist at any time.
Slippers of the Dryad: When wearing these light slippers (or sandals; their appearance can vary), the wearer is under the continual effects of the pass without trace spell, and is able to pass through any naturally overgrown area unimpeded.
Staff of the Woodlands: This staff operates as a +2 staff and provides its user with the continual effects of pass without trace spell. These abilities require no charges and continue to work even if the staff is exhausted of all charges. In addition is has several other abilities that do cost charges. The following powers cost one charge per use: charm animal, speak with animals, and hold animal. The following powers cost two charges per use: summon animals II, animate natural object. This item may only be used by Druids.
Sword of the Sylvan: This slightly curved singled edged sword (counts as a longsword/scimitar) is a +1 magic weapon under normal circumstanced, but when used outdoors in a temperate climate it becomes a +3 magic weapon.
Torc of Protection: This ornamental neck ring functions as a ring of protection, but its power is passively activated by the wearer. If the wearer is level 1 through 8, the protection is +1; if the wearer is level 9 through 14, the protection is +2; if the wearer is level 15 or above, the protection is +3. As the protection is drawn from the wearer, this may only be used by Druids.
Vestment of the Druid: This is a light covering that can be worn over other clothing or armor. It is typically green (though sometimes brown) in color with natural scenes embroidered across the front and back panels. The wearer may manifest the effects of the animal shape spell once a day. The duration is for up to one hour, though the wearer may end the effect early. This item may only be used by Druids.

The Rings of Control are already in the main rulebook. They are just highlighted here.
The Ring of Photosynthesis is just a 3.5SRD Ring of Sustenance that is tweeked.
The Ring of the Dryad I just made up.
The Slippers of the Dryad I *thought* was 3.5SRD, but I think I stole them from Pathfinder. I can make them Sandals, if that helps. Or I can make them boots. Or I can delete them.
Staff of the Woodlands and Sword/Scimitar of the Sylvans have been around forever.
Torc of Protection is inspired by an obscure 1e item.
Vestment of the Druid is taken from 3.5SRD.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No reskinned items from the Core Rules, please, and we need to think of a non-scientific word (Photosynthesis) for that item. Magic items added to class supplements should be things we would not have without that class.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Ring of the Green?
daryen

Post by daryen »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:06 pm No reskinned items from the Core Rules, please, and we need to think of a non-scientific word (Photosynthesis) for that item. Magic items added to class supplements should be things we would not have without that class.
I wasn't trying to reskin the two items so much as highlight how apropos they are. In fact, I just refer to them; I do not actually describe how they work. But, I'll take them out.

How about if I make a quick list of Core Rules items that are thematically appropriate? No description, no reskin, no explanation of the item itself. Just a list to highlight them.

How about Ring of Natural Aliment. (And, yes, I did some Thesaurus diving for that one.)

EDIT: Or Ring of the Green works, too. I am good with either. With mine, people will need to get out the dictionary. :)
Seven

Post by Seven »

Yours come with the cursed version, Ring of Natural Ailment.