Druids Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Druids Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

daryen wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:34 pmI wasn't trying to reskin the two items so much as highlight how apropos they are. In fact, I just refer to them; I do not actually describe how they work. But, I'll take them out.

How about if I make a quick list of Core Rules items that are thematically appropriate? No description, no reskin, no explanation of the item itself. Just a list to highlight them.
Any GM not savvy enough to figure this out on his or her own would worry me. We don't need it, and I'm not at all sure what the benefit would be.
daryen wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:34 pmHow about Ring of Natural Aliment. (And, yes, I did some Thesaurus diving for that one.)

EDIT: Or Ring of the Green works, too. I am good with either. With mine, people will need to get out the dictionary. :)
The latter works nicely.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Here is the updated Druid Supplement with the additions I proposed and believed were accepted.
Attachments
BF-Druid-Supplement-r8.odt
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 274 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've got this one, Chi.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, why are Druid scrolls required to be non-Common? And why the specific potion "flavor" (yuck) text? As much as possible, I try to keep the "flavor" neutral.

I'm going to omit that part for now. The only other changes I've made to your changes ( :D ) are revisions to Heat Metal which I thought of while reading the spell, and a toning down of Summon Animals III (reducing the top animal size category from 16 HD to 12 HD). I'm not sure I like 4d6 for the number of animals of 4 HD or less, but after beating the heck out of my calculator I can't find a die roll that I like better, so I left it.

The revised version will be on the Downloads page soon.

BTW, here's the original druid magic item creation text, so that others can comment on it. It's not bad, not at all, just not what I'm generally looking for.
Druids follow the rules for cleric for making spell scrolls; they cannot make non-spell scrolls. Scrolls created by Druids are almost never written in Common or any other demi-human language. Instead, they will usually be written in a language of faerie or some other unusual language. The Druid must know the language to use the spell.

Druids of 7th level and higher make potions as a Cleric. The resulting potions, while working just like potions made by Clerics, look very different. They are thick, sludgy, and gritty. All of their ingredients are made from naturally occurring items, predominately plant-based (though some may still be quite rare or expensive).

Druids of 9th level and higher may make the magic items listed here (plus any others that the GM feels are appropriate) as a Cleric.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Also, I've only reviewed the magic items in a cursory fashion; I'm not super concerned about releasing it before I do that (magic items are far less of an issue in a campaign than classes are). Likely I'll review them more later, and possibly tweak them a bit.

Daryen, just for the record, you're doing good work. For a first-time contributor, I'm quite impressed.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Druids: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 8 -- July 18, 2020
New contributor Mike West has added new spells and magic items, and a couple of other goodies, to this long-running class supplement.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#druids
daryen

Post by daryen »

Thank you for the compliments!

On the magic item creation, I could have just said "Druids create magic items like Clerics" but was trying for more flavor. I'll remember to tone that down going forward. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Druids: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 9 -- July 18, 2020
This release includes earlier edits from Tricky Nicky and Merias which I missed when I posted the previous release. Sorry guys.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#druids

Some of the changes I missed were things like 50' -> 50 ft. I hope I got them all, but I probably didn't. Gah. If I wasn't always behind...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

By the way, I tweaked the Entangle spell, which I think was the major update I missed when I posted daryen's R8; mostly fixing the writing, simplifying it, but also corrected some contradictory info about where and when the spell works.

I'm pretty happy with this supplement right now, actually. If we can find and fix any edits I've missed, it should be pretty solid.
daryen

Post by daryen »

To answer your question why I said Druids don't write scrolls in Common is because I originally wanted them to be written in the secret Druidic language. But that doesn't exist in BFRPG. What I should have done is just drop it there, but I tried to force the idea in. Again, I'll keep that in mind going forward.

As for the 50' -> 50 ft. issue, I thought that you had decided to go back to 50' as that's how the document I used as a template was done. Now that I know, I will be sure to fix that before submitting Necromancer and Illusionist.