Druids Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
GregF

Re: Druids Supplement

Post by GregF »

Happy to be on the forum and just getting into using these mechanics. We have started a campaign and one of our players is a druid. This may seem like a silly question but how do you define what would be considered a monstrous or near natural creature? I understand it can be DM discretion but I was wondering if there was a general standard on this?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think you answer it yourself with the GM discretion thing.

Really hard to define. Of course, natural animals are easy... if they exist normally, then they are natural animals. The real question is if something exotic in a fantasy setting is "natural".
Is a bat-winged cat a natural creature (fleddercatz ?)... or is a pseudodragon a natural creature?
really... if you think a druid should have access to such critters as natural... so be it.

Just my 3 cents here.. as one who did a lot of the work on the druid supplement.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
TPFox

Post by TPFox »

My take is - natural to our world - a bear, a stag, an otter, a cat, etc...
GregF

Post by GregF »

Thank you for the response. The individual playing the druid has a very "rule" mindset. He is fine if I just give some explanation to my thinking. Different personalities keep things interesting but sometimes pushes the management skills.
daryen

Post by daryen »

The main approach I would take is, "Does this creature exist now in the real world, or has it existed at any time in the past?" If the answer is, "Yes," then it is a natural creature. Otherwise it is not. Note that this includes various "dire" creatures, various non-magical giant versions of creatures (like a giant rat or giant insect), and dinosaurs.

Anything that is magical (pseudo-dragon), above an animal level of intelligence (giant eagle), created by magic (owlbear), or from another plane of existence (hell hound), is not a natural creature.

For another approach, just go to the d20 SRD and look at the creatures that are of the "animal" subtype. That should give you a great start.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Obscuring Mists seems to be missing from the latest version.
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:23 am Obscuring Mists seems to be missing from the latest version.
Page 5. The name is missing the final "s" so it's "Obscuring Mist" but that is in fact the spell.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Note to editors: I've started an R12, but with just the one change I'm not releasing it yet.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Doing more revisions to R12. Some notes:

In general, spell descriptions should use the generic "caster" in place of any specific class, to make it easier to transplant spells for new classes as well as to handle spells cast by items. The exception, of course, is if the specific class is important.

For example, tree sanctuary can have Druid replaced with caster almost everywhere it appears. The one exception:
This spell enables the caster to create an invisible door in the trunk of a tree that is visible only to dryads and Druids.
Druids have the ability to see the magical door, and so are called out specifically.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Druids: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 12 -- December 11, 2022
A number of minor edits have been made to this supplement, but nothing significant has really changed, just some overdue cleanup.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#druids