Illusionists Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Illusionists Supplement

Post by Dimirag »

A low level illusionary shield could work for a couple of hits, once the attacker realizes its not real it stops trying to avoid it, but a more "solid" one is higher level for sure
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 pm Shield is too solid for low level illusion spells. Quasi-real matter is an advanced feature of the class, though I rarely if ever actually use that terminology.
Probably why it didn't stick past Dragon Mag #12.

Let me try again.

1. Hypnotism (Basically the Jedi Mind trick)
daryen

Post by daryen »

Seven wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:51 am 1. Hypnotism (Basically the Jedi Mind trick)
Actually, that was "spell 13" for the first level spells. It didn't make the cut because:
1. They already have Color Spray.
2. I thought Gaze Reflection and Silent Illusion were more important.
3. I didn't bump it to second level because it has Hypnotic Pattern, which is better.

Plus, when you get down to it, unlike Color Spray and Hypnotic Pattern, Hypnotism has no illusory manifestation to trigger the effect. Therefore, it isn't an illusion; it's an enchantment.

I included Gaze Reflection because, while it has a rather specific effect, it is a very cool specific effect to solve a real problem that characters will encounter. I really like it.

I included Silent Illusion, Minor Illusion, and Major Illusion (which are just the Silent/Minor/Major Image spells from 3.5SRD) to give the Illusionist actual, honest *illusions* at lower levels. Honestly, I think Illusionists should get Silent Illusion for free: it should be their "training" spell during their tutelage that they just get because they are Illusionists.

But still, the main reason Hypnotism isn't there (and I did have the spell under heavy consideration) is because I ran out of room.
Seven

Post by Seven »

There are 2 types of illusions. The ones that everyone can see and the ones that only one person can see.The second types are usually called phantasms. It's not clear what the hypnotized person actually experiences.

Also, the real world illusionists often use hypnosis. Mesmer for example.

Finally, I personally like the evil illusionist who makes good folks do bad things.

At any rate, I suppose the rejects will end up in the libram, no?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Real-world illusionists aren't the same thing at all, and should not be used for comparison.

Molly Carpenter (from Dresden Files) is a sterling example though.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Making progress on the Illusionist spells. However, I realized I made a mistake in that I don't need the following spells, as they already exist:
1 - Silent Illusion (it's Phantasmal Force)
2 - Minor Illusion (it's skipped, but doesn't fit anymore)
3 - Major Illusion (it's Spectral Force)
3 - Improved Phantasmal Force (it's also Spectral Force)

I have replaced them with:
1 - Phantasmal Image. Basically, this is a Phantasmal Force that doesn't move; it is a static image. Still gives the Illusionist an actual illusion spell at first level.
2 - Phantom Trap. Fake trap.
3 - Color Cloud. Improved Color Spray.
3 - Stinking Cloud. Goes with Obscurement, Solid Fog, and Cloudkill.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK. Here it is!

I have added all of the spells necessary to get them to 12-12-12-12-10-10. The spell list is posted earlier in this thread, but modified by the spells in the previous post. Despite your comment to the contrary, I did include a section on Illusionist related magic items, but it's all on a single page, so it will take very little effort to just delete the page if they are not wanted after all. I figured it better to include them and have them deleted than to not give it a shot. There is a little too much "change self" in there, but it fits each time.

Hopefully, I have done well by the Illusionist.
Attachments
BF-Illusionist-Supplement-r5.odt
(48.73 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK posted r6 of the Illusionist in the Projects folder. It made no substantial changes, just little things (30' -> 30 ft and 30 feet -> 30 ft), adding 2020 to the copyright, and a couple other little things like that. The only change warranting a comment was Shadow Walk where I had to reword it a little to remove direct references to the "Material Plane" and the "Plane of Shadow".
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r7 added to Projects. Added John's illustration, and a little bit of editing.
Note that per the Style Guide we prefer "feet" or "foot" rather than the shortened "ft". I also personally tend to notate radius and such as "10-foot radius " rather than "10 foot radius" (that's just my personal preference).
daryen

Post by daryen »

chiisu81 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 amNote that per the Style Guide we prefer "feet" or "foot" rather than the shortened "ft". I also personally tend to notate radius and such as "10-foot radius " rather than "10 foot radius" (that's just my personal preference).
Hold on.

Can we please make a decision here at some point? The *only* reason I changed everything to "ft" is because that was done for Druids and other supplements I was working on. In fact, if you go look at the changes AlMan made to both Druids and Spellcasters, the vast majority were changing the "feet" and "foot" I had written into "ft".

So, can everyone please get on the same page as to how we are supposed to write this in the text? Right now I think we are getting version inflation as we keep working at counter purposes.

Just sayin' ...