Spellcrafters Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Re: Spellcrafters Supplement

Post by daryen »

OK, so I don't go to an r7 immediately, please note that like resist cold, heat and hold portal, I also screwed up on Striking. It is also in the Core Rules and should not have the spell description in the file.

Rather than update again, I'll leave this note and see if I missed something else in the Core spells before updating. Worst case, whenever someone edits it, they can delete the unneeded spell description.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. There are two schools of thought on including all the spells... I don't like it, as it makes the supplements artificially larger and also introduces the possibility of creeping discrepancies. But others feel the class supplements are more useful if they are complete, so that the player doesn't have to look for spells in both the core rules and the supplement. In the past I have bowed to the desires of those who wanted the "full" class supplements.

Perhaps we need to have a discussion on the subject.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:13 amPerhaps we need to have a discussion on the subject.
As you can probably deduce from my short time here, I do have suggestions on that. Where is the proper place for the discussion?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Smoot has started this thread in General Discussion:
https://www.basicfantasy.org/forums/vie ... f=2&t=3898
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, here is an r6 of the Spellcrafters. I added the "missing" experience point table. Changed some section headers to be more consistent with the other class supplements (I cribbed from Illusionist), fixed a few typos, and removed the unneeded Striking spell description (its in the Core Rules). The comments for the substantial changes are are still there. Hopefully, it should now be relatively complete from my efforts, at least.

EDIT: Had a horrible error in the newly added Experience Point table (used the Sorcerer spell progression). Fixed it with a quick update.
Attachments
BF-Spellcrafters-Supplement-r7.odt
(52.3 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last edited by daryen on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Regarding the spell scroll creation question on your file, yes, any spellcaster can: Spell scrolls as long as they can cast the spell, any other scroll at 7th level, Spellcrafters can do any of them from the get go (a 40 + Int Score base percentage).

I think they should also get a benefit when casting unknown spell scroll, something like reducing their level from the failure chance.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are the corrections for Spellcrafters Supplement:
Update copyright to 2020

Double space after sentences.

Page 2 – Spellcrafter Spells – Paragraph 2
Was:
Likewise, a Magic-User may learn spells shared by the classes from an Spellcrafter.
Changed to:
Likewise, a Magic-User may learn spells shared by the classes from a Spellcrafter.

Page 3 – Alarm – Paragraph
Use ft or (in) in place of foot, feet or (‘) mark or inch, inches or (“).
Was:
An audible alarm produces the sound of a hand bell, and anyone within 60’ of the warded area can hear it clearly. Interposing doors or walls may reduce the distance by 10' or 20'.
Changed to:
An audible alarm produces the sound of a hand bell, and anyone within 60 ft of the warded area can hear it clearly. Interposing doors or walls may reduce the distance by 10 ft or 20 ft.

Page 3 – Analyze Magic – Paragraph 3
Was:
The item or area to be studied must be within 5' of the caster for the full duration of scrutiny, and he or she must maintain moderate concentration.
Changed to:
The item or area to be studied must be within 5 ft of the caster for the full duration of scrutiny, and he or she must maintain moderate concentration.

Page 4 – Channel Blast – Paragraph 1
Was:
The blast is cone shaped, 60’ long and 40’ wide at its end.
Changed to:
The blast is cone shaped, 60 ft long and 40 ft wide at its end.

Page 4 – Channel Blast – Paragraph 4
Was:
Scroll: up 1d6 per level of the spell or 3d6 for non-spell scrolls
Changed to:
Scroll: 1d6 per level of the spell or 3d6 for non-spell scrolls

Page 5 – Guards and Wards – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell casts a ward of misdirection and protection on an area of 200 square feet per caster level. The warded area can be as much as 20’ high, and shaped as the caster desires.
Changed to:
This spell casts a ward of misdirection and protection on an area of 200 square ft per caster level. The warded area can be as much as 20 ft high, and shaped as the caster desires.

Page 5 – Guards and Wards – Paragraph 3
Was:
Fog fills all corridors, obscuring all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5’. A creature within 5’ are concealed (missile attacks have a -1 to hit).
Changed to:
Fog fills all corridors, obscuring all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 ft. A creature within 5 ft is concealed (missile attacks have a -1 to hit).

Page 6 – Guards and Wards – Paragraph 12
Was:
You select an area of up to 5’ square, and any creature who enters or passes through the area receives the suggestion mentally.
Changed to:
You select an area of up to 5 ft square, and any creature who enters or passes through the area receives the suggestion mentally.

Page 6 – Guards and Wards – Paragraph 13
Was:
You select an area of up to 5’ square, and any creature who enters or passes through the area triggers the sleep spell.
Changed to:
You select an area of up to 5 ft square, and any creature who enters or passes through the area triggers the sleep spell.

Page 6 – Hardness – Paragraph 2
Was:
The item may not be larger than 10 cubic feet plus 1 cubic foot per level of the caster.
Changed to:
The item may not be larger than 10 cubic ft plus 1 cubic ft per level of the caster.

Page 6 – Heat Metal – Title
Since it mentions a reverse added the * to the name of the spell to indicate reversal.

Page 6 – Heat Metal* – Paragraph 2
Was:
… stored in vessels within affected metal item, possibly causing an affected vessel to burst.
Changed to:
… stored in vessels within an affected metal item, possibly causing the affected vessel to burst.

Page 6 – Mass Armor Enhancement – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster can affect with enhance armor up to 3 armor sets within 30’ with a +1 bonus for every three levels of the caster.
Changed to:
The caster can affect with enhance armor up to 3 armor sets within 30 ft with a +1 bonus for every three levels of the caster.

Page 7 – Mass Weapon Enhancement – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster can affect with enhance weapon up to 3 weapons within 30’ with a +1 bonus for every three levels of the caster..
Changed to:
The caster can affect with enhance weapon up to 3 weapons within 30 ft with a +1 bonus for every three levels of the caster..

Page 7 – Minor Creation – Paragraph 1
Was:
The volume of the item created cannot exceed 1 cubic foot per caster level.
Changed to:
The volume of the item created cannot exceed 1 cubic ft per caster level.

Page 7 – Minor Spell Immunity – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell creates a 1 inch thick green translucent shell around the caster that protects him from the effects of low level spells, …
Changed to:
This spell creates a 1 in. thick green translucent shell around the caster that protects him from the effects of low level spells, …

Page 7 – Minor Warding – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell cloaks an object of less than 10 cubic feet with an invisible aura of harmful energy.
Changed to:
This spell cloaks an object of less than 10 cubic ft with an invisible aura of harmful energy.

Page 7 – Move Earth – Title
Ft is used in the body of the spell the Range still uses the double quote marks.
Was:
Range: 400 ft.
Changed to:
Range: 400’

Page 7 – Move Earth – Paragraph 1
Was:
The spell can move up to one 150-foot square (up to 10 feet deep) per round.
Changed to:
The spell can move up to one 150-ft square (up to 10 ft deep) per round.

Page 7 – Permanency – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell makes is used to make permanent another spell of 6th or lower level.
Changed to:
This spell is used to make another spell of 6th or lower level permanent.

Page 8 – Private Sanctum – Title
Ft is used in the body of the spell the Range still uses the double quote marks.
Was:
Range: 30 feet
Changed to:
Range: 30’

Page 8 – Private Sanctum – Paragraph 1
Was:
Eavesdroppers do not perceive any sound, no matter how loud, exiting (emanating?) from the area.
Changed to:
Eavesdroppers do not perceive any sound, no matter how loud, emanating from the area.

Page 8 – Private Sanctum – Paragraph 1
Was:
… or such as that between a Magic-User and a familiar.

Changed to:
… or such as that between a Magic-User and a familiar.

Page 8 – Protection from Lightning – Paragraph 1
Was:
When the spell absorbs 12 points per caster level of magical fire damage, it is discharged.
Changed to:
When the spell absorbs 12 points per caster level of magical lightning damage, it is discharged.

Page 8 – Rock to Mud – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell turns natural, uncut or un-worked rock of any sort into an equal volume of mud; up to two 10’ cubes per caster level may be so transformed.
Changed to:
This spell turns natural, uncut or un-worked rock of any sort into an equal volume of mud; up to two 10 ft cubes per caster level may be so transformed.

Page 9 – Secret Chest – Paragraph 1
Was:
Regardless of the chest’s actual size, (which is about 3’ by 2’ by 2’) it can contain up to 1 cubic foot of material per caster level.
Changed to:
Regardless of the chest’s actual size, (which is about 3 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft) it can contain up to 1 cubic ft of material per caster level.

Page 9 – Stone Shape – Paragraph 1
Was:
… (of up to 10 cubic feet + 1 cubic feet per level) …
Changed to:
… (of up to 10 cubic ft + 1 cubic ft per level) …

Page 9 – Warp Wood – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster causes non-magical wood in a 20 foot radius to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength. A warped door springs open or becomes stuck; a boat or ship springs a leak; warped weapons (like bows and arrows) are useless. The caster may warp wood object(s) up to 1 foot on all sides per caster level.
Changed to:
The caster causes non-magical wood in a 20 ft radius to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength. A warped door springs open or becomes stuck; a boat or ship springs a leak; warped weapons (like bows and arrows) are useless. The caster may warp wood object(s) up to 1 ft on all sides per caster level.

Revision 8 has been uploaded to the Project Folder.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are some suggestions for the Spellcaster Supplement.

Page 4 – Channel Blast – Paragraph 9
What is the save against? Magic Wand or Spell or Poison?
Currently:
Targets may save for half-damage.
Suggest:
Targets may save vs Spell for half-damage.

Page 4 – Charm Constructs
Question: are there any consequences for when the construct breaks the charm? Does it attack the Spellcaster and the party or does it just run away?

Page 4 – Drainblade
Just a note: I had a similar blade in a game when I was first doing TTRPGs. My character had a detect magic on the blade and found it was a Bastard Sword that was made from the tooth of a demon. To top it off it was discovered that if the blade was used too often to heal from blood drainage, the wielder would eventually become a “day vampire”, a vampire without the hindrance of not being able to go into the sun.

Page 7 – Permanency – Paragraph 2
Is the Constitution loss permanent or can it be regained with rest?

There are 4 Druidic Spells in here. Since those spells would be a more divine nature (granted from the nature entities the Druid would pray to) would they actually be suitable here?

Page 8 – Repair – Paragraph 3
Which save should be used by the magic item suggest vs Spells with level of spell in magic item being the MU level used.

Page 9 – Serious Repair – Paragraph 3
The spell effect is the same as for Repair, should this include medium-sized items being destroyed since it has a greater effect on repair or shrivel? And should the save vs be against Spell again?
Currently:
This spell has no effect on living creatures, it will shatter small items, and if the target is a magic item, it gets to roll a saving throw.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Unlike with Necromancer, I don't have direct answers for the spells here as I didn't write any of them. I simply copied them from whatever the sources were and included them here. Really, I was just trying to make sure it matched the standards we talked about regarding the spells. (And the including the experience chart.)

However, I believe I can answer one question from my POV:
There are 4 Druidic Spells in here. Since those spells would be a more divine nature (granted from the nature entities the Druid would pray to) would they actually be suitable here?
While these four spells are also Druidic spells, the spells here are not actually Druidic spells. They look and act exactly the same, but they are not Druidic spells.

For example, that's how the Magic-User and Cleric can both use Protection from Evil (and a handful of other duplicate spells). If the Cleric casts Protection from Evil, it is a divine spell granted by the Cleric's diety. If the Magic-User casts Protection from Evil, it is an arcane spell they learned and added to their spellbook. They are effectively different spells despite having identical spell effects.

I would say it is the same with these four spells that Spellcrafters share with Druids.

(And, again, I really need to stress that literally all of the spells in this Supplement were originally there. I just moved the spell descriptions inside the Supplement. I did not change any spells, remove any spells, or add any spells for Spellcrafters. These are the spells they started with.)

Now, having said all of that, I do have suggested answers that are simply that: suggestions.
Page 4 – Channel Blast – Paragraph 9
What is the save against? Magic Wand or Spell or Poison?
I would expect that any spell that doesn't specify what the save is against is against Spells. So, I say "Spells".
Page 4 – Charm Constructs
Question: are there any consequences for when the construct breaks the charm? Does it attack the Spellcaster and the party or does it just run away?
Constructs are not, for the most part, intelligent. I would expect that once the effects of the charm spell end, they simply revert to their original programming. Do note that the charm effect can last for a long time. What that actually means in any specific case is probably simply left to the GM.

If they are intelligent, then I would expect the result would be the same as with intelligent living humaniods affected by Charm Person. Which is to say that it is left up to the GM again.
Page 7 – Permanency – Paragraph 2
Is the Constitution loss permanent or can it be regained with rest?
Unless the intention is to make Permanency a very limited restricted spell that is rarely used, I would think it has to be able to be regained. Otherwise the spell really becomes fairly useless. So, "regained with rest" seems the most appropriate.
Page 8 – Repair – Paragraph 3
Which save should be used by the magic item suggest vs Spells with level of spell in magic item being the MU level used.
As mentioned before, I would assume Spells.
Page 9 – Serious Repair – Paragraph 3
The spell effect is the same as for Repair, should this include medium-sized items being destroyed since it has a greater effect on repair or shrivel? And should the save vs be against Spell again?
I would assume the save is the same: Spells.
As for effect, I would assume it should be ramped up at least a little to make the increased spell level worthwhile.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Since I don't know if you have access to the Dropbox Project Folder I will post the latest version here.
Edit: latest file in Projects