Necromancer Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Re: Necromancer Supplement

Post by daryen »

New question: After finally going through the Magic Items in more detail, I have a request.

I would like to make up a brand new magic item, either a ring or amulet, that protects the wearer from negative levels or death effects. This just seems to be a needed item for people who commonly work with powerful undead and is completely missing from anywhere.

However, I really don't want the magic items to take more than a page, and it is currently full. That means I would need to delete an existing item. I would like to delete Flying Ointment to make room. There is nothing particularly "necromancy" about it other than the fluff description of its purported creation. The item and effect itself has nothing to do with necromancy, and the fluff seems rather gratuitous and unnecessary.

So, this is really two questions:
1) Can I add the new ring/amulet?
2) Can I remove the Flying Ointment to keep it all to a single page?

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Post to a message here (or in the relevant thread for other works), and we'll pick it up, check your work, and eventually update the Downloads page.

If you become a regular editor/contributor, we'll hook you up with our Dropbox sharing folder.

Remember to bump the release number.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, here is my submission for the Necromancer update.

I did a lot of editing to the prior version:
- I removed zero level and seventh level spells. They will go to the appropriate spell supplements.
- I buffed out the spell list to match the Magic-User's 12-12-12-12-10-10.
- I found some spells that had material components, so I deleted the components.
- I changed Stoneskin to Boneskin and simplified it a bit. I also moved it from first level to second level because there were too many first level spells.
- I added a magic item to protect against losing negative levels. (Nothing was deleted.)
- I made some other minor cleanups and left a comment if it changed anything.

Of the new spells, I want to highlight Symbol of Pain (and by extension Symbol of Fear) to be carefully reviewed to ensure that the mechanics of the Symbol are acceptable. I plan on referring to Symbol of Pain for the eventual seventh level spell Symbol of Death.
Attachments
BF-Necromancer-Supplement-r6.odt
(98.96 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds good. I may look a this update this weekend, but Chi, if I don't say I'm handling it, feel free to take it on.

By the way, a few spells have slipped through with the verbiage "ranged touch attack." We do not have "ranged touch attacks" nor anything like that specifically, so those spells should be revised to use BFRPG mechanics. I know they just slipped in from the SRD, no big deal, just something to watch for.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Crap. I thought I caught those! I was even trying to be careful. I also tried to always say what the mechanical effect of a 'condition' was, too, and be consistent with it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think the one I saw was not your fault.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are the corrections for Necromancer R6.

Update copyright to 2020

Double space after sentences.

Page 1 – Necromancer – Paragraph 2
Was:
They may not wear any armor of any sort or use shields, …
Changed to:
They may not wear armor of any sort or use shields, …

Page 2 – New Equipment – Table
Updated Spade to match the Equipment Emporium on page 3.
Was:

Spade
1 gp
M
1d4
Changed to:

Spade
2 gp
M
1d6

Page 2 – Spells – Paragraph 1
Mentions Druid here, not mentioned in the page above.
Was:
Below are listed spells available to the Druid subclass described above.
Changed to:
Below are listed spells available to the Necromancer subclass described above.

Page 2 – Second Level Necromancer Spells
Change spell name to match Core Rules
Was:
Detect Invisibility
Changed to:
Detect Invisible

Page 3 – Black Tentacles – Paragraph 1
Use ft or (in) in place of foot, feet or (‘) mark or inch, inches or (“).
Was:
A field of 10 foot long rubbery tentacles will spring from the ground. The area is up to 30 feet by 30 feet, and they will appear from whatever surface is present, including water.
Changed to:
A field of 10 ft long rubbery tentacles will spring from the ground. The area is up to 30 ft by 30 ft, and they will appear from whatever surface is present, including water.

Page 3 – Black Tentacles – Paragraph 2
From Style Guide: Any Basic Fantasy RPG titles referred to should be capitalized and bold. "Basic Fantasy RPG" should always be spelled out, not shortened to "BFRPG".“Basic Fantasy” by itself is not sufficient; it must include “RPG”.
Was:
… (as in the Wrestling rules in the BFRPG rule book) …
Changed to:
… (as in the Wrestling rules in the Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rule book) …

Page 3 – Blight – Paragraph 1
Was:
The creature is allow a save vs. Spells for half damage.
Changed to:
The creature is allowed a save vs. Spells for half damage.

Page 3 – Blight – Paragraph 2
Limit use of pronouns especially “it”.
Was:
… it has not effect on anything else in the area.
Changed to:
… the spell has no effect on anything else in the area.

Page 3 – Call Poltergeist – Paragraph 1
Limit use of pronouns especially “it”. Also used third person instead of second person.
Was:
This spell binds a minor spirit to an area. The poltergeist is an invisible, shapeless force that performs simple tasks at your command. It can run and fetch things, open unstuck doors, and hold chairs, as well as clean and mend. The poltergeist can perform only one activity at a time, but it repeats the same activity over and over again if told to do so as long as you remain within range. It can open only normal doors, drawers, lids, and the like, having an effective Strength score of 3. It can trigger traps and such, but it can exert only 20 pounds of force, which may not be enough to activate certain pressure plates and other devices.
Changed to:
This spell binds a minor spirit to an area. The poltergeist is an invisible, shapeless force that performs simple tasks at the Necromancer’s command. A poltergeist can run and fetch things, open unstuck doors, and hold chairs, as well as clean and mend. The poltergeist can perform only one activity at a time, but it repeats the same activity over and over again if told to do so as long as the Necromancer remains within range. A poltergeist can only open normal doors, drawers, lids, and the like, having an effective Strength score of 3. The poltergeist can trigger traps and such, but it can exert only 20 pounds of force, which may not be enough to activate certain pressure plates and other devices.

Page 5 – Enervation – Paragraph 1
From Style Guide: Any Basic Fantasy RPG titles referred to should be capitalized and bold. "Basic Fantasy RPG" should always be spelled out, not shortened to "BFRPG".“Basic Fantasy” by itself is not sufficient; it must include “RPG”.
Was:
If the narrow ray of crackling black energy hits, the target suffers 1d4 negative levels and all of the effects described in Energy Drain in the BFRPG rulebook.
Changed to:
If the narrow ray of crackling black energy hits, the target suffers 1d4 negative levels and all of the effects described in Energy Drain in the Basic Fantasy RPG Core Rule book.

Page 5 – Eyebite – Paragraph 3
Was:
If a creature is sickened, it suffers from a -2 modifier for its attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.
Changed to:
If a creature is sickened, it suffers from a -2 modifier for attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.

Page 5 – Eyebite – Paragraph 4
Was:
After that, it will flee again for 1d4 rounds if it can still see the caster.
Changed to:
After that, the victim will flee again for 1d4 rounds if it can still see the caster.

Page 5 – Eyebite – Paragraph 5
Was:
During this time, it cannot be awakened by any means short of dispelling the effect. Even if the coma is dispelled, it is still subject to fleeing if the caster is visible, and is still sickened.
Changed to:
During this time, the victim cannot be awakened by any means short of dispelling the effect. Even if the coma is dispelled, the creature is still subject to fleeing if the caster is visible, and is still sickened.

Page 5 – Fear – Paragraph 1
Was:
A panicked create will drop whatever they are holding and flee using any means necessary. If they are cornered, they will cower in fear. They also suffer a -2 to all saving throws. They will do this for the duration of the spell. If the save is made, they will suffer -2 to their attack rolls and saving throws for 1 round.
Changed to:
A panicked creature will drop whatever it is holding and flee using any means necessary. If cornered, the creature will cower in fear. The victim will also suffer a -2 to all saving throws. The creature will do this for the duration of the spell. If a save is made, the victim will suffer -2 to attack rolls and saving throws for 1 round.

Page 5 – Fireskull Familiar – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell animates a single skull in to serve the Necromancer.
Changed to:
This spell animates a single skull to serve the Necromancer.

Page 5 – Fireskull Familiar – Paragraph 2
Was:
It has an Armor Class of 13 and only a single attack for 1d2 points of damage, attacking with the same basic chance to hit as the Necromancer. The skull can be charged with spells that must be delivered by touch, with the spell effect being available to the skull on the following round. While a fireskull familiar is within 5 feet, the caster's chance of being surprised is reduced by 1.
Changed to:
The skull has an Armor Class of 13 and only a single attack for 1d2 points of damage, attacking with the same basic chance to hit as the Necromancer. The skull can be charged with spells that must be delivered by touch, with the spell effect being available to the skull on the following round. While a fireskull familiar is within 5 ft, the caster's chance of being surprised is reduced by 1.

Page 7 – Maggot Spray – Paragraph 1
Was:
… affecting all within a 10 foot section immediately adjacent to and chosen by the caster.
Changed to:
… affecting all within a 10 ft section immediately adjacent to and chosen by the caster.

Page 7 – Mask of Life – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster can decide what race and clothes worn the undead creature is to look like.
Changed to:
The caster can decide which race and style of clothes is worn by an undead creature.

Page 7 – Minor Warding – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell cloaks an object of less than 10 cubic feet with an invisible aura of harmful energy.
Changed to:
This spell cloaks an object of less than 10 cubic ft with an invisible aura of harmful energy.

Page 8 – Protection from undead – Paragraph 3 of the spell description.
Was:
… but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect.
Changed to:
… but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from undead spell.

Page 8 – Protection from undead 10’ Radius – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell functions exactly as protection from undead, but with a 10 foot radius rather than a 1 foot radius.
Changed to:
This spell functions exactly as protection from undead, but with a 10 ft radius rather than a 1 ft radius.

Page 8 – Protection from undead 10’ Radius – Paragraph 2
Was:
… except that it covers a 10 foot radius around the target rather than the normal 1 foot radius.
Changed to:
… except that it covers a 10 ft radius around the target rather than the normal 1 ft radius.

Page 9 – Spirit Wrack – Paragraph 1
Was:
Alternatively the caster may choose to cause a burst of 1d4 points of damage per level to any such beings within 20 feet of the caster, whether visible or not.
Changed to:
Alternatively the caster may choose to cause a burst of 1d4 points of damage per level to any such beings within 20 ft of the caster, whether visible or not.

Page 9 – Stench – Paragraph 1
Was:
… living creatures within 10 feet must succeed …
Changed to:
… living creatures within 10 ft must succeed …

Page 9 – Symbol of Fear – Paragraph 1
Use ft or (in) in place of foot, feet or (‘) mark or inch, inches or (“). Bold spell names.
Was:
This spell functions like symbol of pain, except that all creatures within 60 feet of the symbol of fear instead become panicked for 1 round per caster level. A panicked create will drop whatever they are holding and flee using any means necessary. If they are cornered, they will cower in fear. They also suffer a -2 to all saving throws. They will do this for the duration of the spell. If the save is made, they will suffer -2 to their attack rolls and saving throws for 1 round.
Changed to:
This spell functions like symbol of pain, except that all creatures within 60 ft of the symbol of fear instead become panicked for 1 round per caster level. A panicked creature will drop whatever it is holding and flee using any means necessary. If cornered, the creature will cower in fear. The victim will also suffer a -2 to all saving throws. The creature will do this for the duration of the spell. If a save is made, the victim will suffer -2 to attack rolls and saving throws for 1 round.

Page 9 – Symbol of Pain – Paragraph 1
Use ft or (in) in place of foot, feet or (‘) mark or inch, inches or (“). Bold spell names.
Was:
When triggered each creature within 60 feet of the symbol of pain are wracked with pain.
Changed to:
When triggered each creature within 60 ft of the symbol of pain are wracked with pain.

Page 9 – Symbol of Pain – Paragraph 3
Was:
The symbol is triggered by one or more of the following, as determined by the caster: looks at the rune, reads the rune, touches the rune, or passes near the rune. Regardless of the triggering methods, it cannot be triggered by a creature more than 60 feet away.
Changed to:
The symbol is triggered by one or more of the following, as determined by the caster: a victim looks at the rune, reads the rune, touches the rune, or passes near the rune. Regardless of the triggering methods, it cannot be triggered by a creature more than 60 ft away.

Page 9 – Symbol of Pain – Paragraph 4
Was:
Triggering methods can be further modify by qualifiers, …
Changed to:
Triggering methods can be further modified by qualifiers, …

Page 10 – Symbol of Pain – Paragraph 5 of the spell description.
Was:
Each time the ranger is entered, …
Changed to:
Each time the range is entered, …

Page 11 – Wall of Bones – Paragraph 1
Was:
The wall is composed of up to one 10 feet x 10 feet square section, 1 foot thick, per caster level. Unlike the similar spell, wall of stone, the caster may not double the wall’s area by halving its thickness, as the structure is already very porous and would lose its structural integrity, but of course the wall can be made thicker. For instance, a 10th level caster could conjure a section to fill in a 10 foot cube (10 feet x 1 foot, 10 sections thick).
Changed to:
The wall is composed of up to one 10 ft x 10 ft square section, 1 ft thick, per caster level. Unlike the similar spell, wall of stone, the caster may not double the wall’s area by halving its thickness, as the structure is already very porous and would lose its structural integrity, but of course the wall can be made thicker. For instance, a 10th level caster could conjure a section to fill in a 10 ft cube (10 ft x 1 ft, 10 sections thick).

Page 11 – Wall of Bones – Paragraph 2
Was:
The spell also differs from the wall of stone spell in that the semi-animated wall attacks those within close proximity to its structure (10 feet) for 2d4 piercing and slashing damage from the bones. The structure is not completely solid, so high-strength individuals may attempt to break through with a Strength check, but they take an additional 2d6+1/level points of damage while making the attempt for each 1 foot of thickness that they attempt to move through. A separate Strength check is necessary for each 1 foot of thickness of the wall section in order to break through.
Changed to:
The spell also differs from the wall of stone spell in that the semi-animated wall attacks those within close proximity to its structure (10 ft) for 2d4 piercing and slashing damage from the bones. The structure is not completely solid, so high-strength individuals may attempt to break through with a Strength check, but they take an additional 2d6+1/level points of damage while making the attempt for each 1 ft of thickness that they attempt to move through. A separate Strength check is necessary for each 1 ft of thickness of the wall section in order to break through.

Page 11 – Waves of Fatigue – Paragraph 1
Was:
This spell sends an invisible wave of harmful energy out forward of the caster to a range of 30 feet.
Changed to:
This spell sends an invisible wave of harmful energy out forward of the caster to a range of 30 ft.

Page 12 – Black Candles – Paragraph 1
Was:
These three-inch diameter candles will burn for six hours although once lit the candle expends its magic. While burning, each candle creates an area of unholy disturbance which bolsters undead within 50 feet of the candle.
Changed to:
These three-inch diameter candles will burn for six hours although once lit the candle expends its magic. While burning, each candle creates an area of unholy disturbance which bolsters undead within 50 ft of the candle.

Page 12 – Gravedigger's Spade – Paragraph 1
Was:
It functions as a +1 weapon, +3 v. Undead …
Changed to:
It functions as a +1 weapon, +3 vs Undead …

R7 has been put into the Projects folder.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are some suggestions to consider for the Necromancy Supplement.

Page 1 – Necromancer – Paragraph 1
“Witch-Doctor” is mentioned as a replacement for Magic Users in other supplements and books for humanoid cultures, there isn’t mention of necromancy in those groups. I would suggest removing it from the list here.

Page 2 – Fourth Level Necromancer Spells
Fear” spell, suggest using the “Cause Fear*” spell mentioned on page 31 of Basic Fantasy Core Rules, it is the reverse of Remove Fear spell.

Page 4 – Ectoplasm Spell
The spell is here and is listed as a Necromancer 3 spell, but isn’t in the Level 3 Spell Table on page 2. I’ll leave it here for now until the next go over, so you have a chance to copy it to the new spells supplement.

Page 5 – Fear Spell
Fear” spell, suggest using the “Cause Fear*” spell mentioned on page 31 of Basic Fantasy Core Rules, it is the reverse of Remove Fear spell.

Page 10 – Undeath Spell
Is this a save vs Magic Wand or save vs Spell
Currently:
Most normal individuals roll a saving throw vs. Magic to avoid coming back …
Suggest:
Most normal individuals roll a saving throw vs. Spell to avoid coming back …

Up next by special request Spellcaster.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Where were you when I was doing the original work here?
I really could have used such editorial skills. :D

Then again, it was among my first couple efforts to share around here. And we did not have Style Guide around back then. Bound to be full of problems. Glad it is getting a fresh go-over.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
daryen

Post by daryen »

AlMan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:23 pm Here are some suggestions to consider for the Necromancy Supplement.

Page 1 – Necromancer – Paragraph 1
“Witch-Doctor” is mentioned as a replacement for Magic Users in other supplements and books for humanoid cultures, there isn’t mention of necromancy in those groups. I would suggest removing it from the list here.
I agree with this. There should be no confusing a witch-doctor with a full blown necromancer.
Page 2 – Fourth Level Necromancer Spells
I'll have to check. I think I was intending Fear to be more powerful, and a higher level, than the pedestrian Cause Fear. I will double-check and possibly replace the spell.

And I never use the reverse of a Core Rules spell. They just get the Core Rules spell as is, and it's left to the reader to figure out the intent.
Page 4 – Ectoplasm Spell
The spell is here and is listed as a Necromancer 3 spell, but isn’t in the Level 3 Spell Table on page 2. I’ll leave it here for now until the next go over, so you have a chance to copy it to the new spells supplement.
Holy crap! It never occurred to me there was a "free floating" spell in there. I'll see if I can use it first, otherwise it gets moved.
Page 5 – Fear Spell
See above.
Page 10 – Undeath Spell
Is this a save vs Magic Wand or save vs Spell
Currently:
Most normal individuals roll a saving throw vs. Magic to avoid coming back …
Suggest:
Most normal individuals roll a saving throw vs. Spell to avoid coming back …
Supposed to be Spells.
Up next by special request Spellcaster.
Thanks!