BF1 Morgansfort

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

BF1 Morgansfort

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments on module BF1 Morgansfort here.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#bf1
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Omote

Re: BF1 Morgansfort

Post by Omote »

I know this is probably going to be an unpopular comment, but I have to say that I hate the fact that there is any OSRIC/Labrynth Lord statistics in these modules, particularly this one. It's not that hard to convert on your own if you are a fan of those games. Basic Fantasy stands out on it's own as not only a simulacrum type game, but innovative and fresh in some aspects. I think making the Basic Fantasy modules instantly compatible with these other products only dilutes what Basic Fantasy is.

-O
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ouch... hate. I, um, dislike hate. :D

It was always my intent that Basic Fantasy RPG work perfectly well as a stand-alone game; that's why the Core Rules have no compatibility statements of any sort. But while the game works as a stand-alone "product," that's not what the Basic Fantasy Project is about.

The Project is inclusive. I'm a fan of OSRIC and Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry (though issues with claiming S&W compatibility are still being discussed). Like the Basic Fantasy Project, those projects are about recapturing and revitalizing the game systems and styles we grew up with. It's true, the time required to convert a BFRPG module to one of those systems is pretty small, and I could put that on the GM to do for himself (or herself). But I don't want to. I want to include them by name, not just by default. I hope to foster an inclusive, rather than a divisive, relationship with those projects.

I'd like us to be on the same team, not on a bunch of different teams. I've already seen talk of the divisions of the old-school/retro-clone/simulacrum movement, and I don't like it. I've seen bad blood with fans of a certain other game which predated BFRPG, and I don't like that either. It's stupid.

So yeah, we don't need OSRIC or LL stats in the BF and AA modules; but in the interest of harmony, it's my intent to include them.
hjmartin70

Post by hjmartin70 »

I've been using Morgansfort as the basis for the campaign world I've been running for the last two years now. For the most part I just started using it to give me a larger town for the PC's to travel to. Since then the group has gone through all of the dungeons included and gotten much enjoyment from all of them. In the beginning, I had problems with the sketchy nature of the political details included but it pushed me to develop my own. None of the PC's have any idea what's going on around them anyway so it has all stayed in my head. I will review the PDF and my notes and see if any detailed comments occur to me.
My overall review is two thumbs up. High quality with an old school feel.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks, HJ. The political information was left explicitly sketchy to allow other authors to use the world pretty freely... the "less is more" approach. I'm glad it worked for you.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like the fact that different system stats are included... however, I would suggest an alternate method.

Have the stats listed in a couple of appendixes, one appendix for each different system. Each of these appendixes should begin with 'how to convert' instructions, followed by abbreviated stats for each location/npc. This would keep the clutter out of the main text, and even be quite user friendly for the alternate systems having the stats in one location.
Extra appendixes might be produced later through 3rd parties who convert to yet other systems... heck, you might even see Savage versions or even conversions to other systems, submitted via this very forum by intrepid individuals.

Of course this produces a degree of extra workload for authors, but I think the finished product becomes a more professional offering at the same time. However, much of the work is already being done; it is simply mixed into the main body.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

By far may favorite part of Morgansfort is the fort itself, its easy to ignore the history/campaign info, and drop the fort into almost any setting. Like KotB it makes a great base for a starting party, proving a safe haven, healing and supplies, as well as patrons eager to hire them.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

SmootRK wrote:I like the fact that different system stats are included... however, I would suggest an alternate method.

Have the stats listed in a couple of appendixes, one appendix for each different system. Each of these appendixes should begin with 'how to convert' instructions, followed by abbreviated stats for each location/npc. This would keep the clutter out of the main text, and even be quite user friendly for the alternate systems having the stats in one location.
Extra appendixes might be produced later through 3rd parties who convert to yet other systems... heck, you might even see Savage versions or even conversions to other systems, submitted via this very forum by intrepid individuals.

Of course this produces a degree of extra workload for authors, but I think the finished product becomes a more professional offering at the same time. However, much of the work is already being done; it is simply mixed into the main body.
I like this idea as well, plus if eash appendix is seperate, I only have to print off the page for whatever system I am running. Having all the monsters/NPCs listed on a seperate sheet is nice also.
Omote

Post by Omote »

A series of statistics for other games in the appendix you say? Now that is not a bad idea at all. In this way, you keep the Basic Fantasy game traditional with a single set of statistics and at the same time providing the other games the level of support Solo wants. And for fans of other game platforms you simply print out the appedix for the game you are running. That is a fantasic, fantastic idea!

-O
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. It meets the requirements of the OSRIC license (which ain't hard). It should work for LL. I'll need to check on S&W; I'd love to have S&W compatibility, for the reasons stated above.