BF2 Fortress, Tomb, and Tower

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: BF2 Fortress, Tomb, and Tower

Post by chiisu81 »

Thanks for looking through all of those. :) Interesting about the hyphenated or not specifics, I'm going to read more into that.
Solomoriah wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:- Page 40, 11b, 2nd paragraph: change "...this room is long-disused;" to "this room is long-abandoned;"
No, I think it's right as is; the secret door isn't abandoned, it's disused.
I dunno why I suggested abandoned. How about "unused"?
Solomoriah wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:- Page 41, 14. Count Down Trap, 1st paragraph: change "...pointing clockwise." to "pointing toward to the clock."
Um... what? Your suggestion doesn't make sense. The existing statement seems correct as is; what am I missing?
Like above not sure why I suggested what I did. However the phrase "pointing clockwise" still stands out as weird/wrong to me. How about "pointing up to the clock"?
Solomoriah wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:- Page 42, 19. Zombie Room: change "It is dirty, its ragged..." to "It is dirty; its ragged"
Hmm. I'm not sure my version is wrong, and I like it, so I think I'm keeping it that way.
"It is dirty" and "its ragged hand..." are 2 separate clauses, and really needs to be separated by a semi-colon or period. Using a comma makes it look like it's reading as "It is dirty, it's ragged" or such.
Solomoriah wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:- Page 46, 8th paragraph: change "...can be used again, except that in no event can the pipe summon more than one rust monster in any 24-hour period." to "can be used again; except that the pipe can only summon one rust monster in a 24-hour period."
Eh, I think the original is correct.
How about "except the pipe..."? "Except that" just reads wrong to me.
Solomoriah wrote:
chiisu81 wrote:- Page 48, 2nd boxed text: change "...the crack. It is as if.." to "the crack, as if"
No, sentence is too long already.
How about "As the lock clicks open the door opens inwards a tiny amount, thousands of tiny black beetles begin to pour through the crack. It is as if the room beyond were completely full of beetles."? Does it really need to halfling "flavor text"?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... post overwritten accidentally ...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Well crap in a hat, I thought I cliked Quote NOT Edit. :oops: "Solo's" reply above is actually my reply to his latest post. *sigh* I need time away from the computer screen.
Solomoriah wrote:It's NOT pointing up to the clock. It's pointing in a clockwise direction. To wit:
I keep re-reading the text: "Below the clock on the wall is a brass button marked with a curved arrow pointing clockwise." This makes no sense to me, and neither does your example image. Why is your arrow pointing left? That's not clock-wise. To me clock-wise isn't a cardinal direction, it's a circular movement. Am I the only one baffled with the written text and what I should be envisioning? :oops:
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not sure what's giving you so much trouble here. The arrow on the button points in the direction the dial would have to turn to move clockwise; if the button were on top, it would point right instead of left.

I'll recap my original image, since it got deleted:
example.png
example.png (33.08 KiB) Viewed 6641 times
(click the picture to see all of it.)

The description was clear to me when I first read it, so I'm not sure why this is hard for you.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Interesting. I have to agree with Chiisu here though. To me, whether the button/knob is above of below the clock is irrelevant. You twist something to the right to go clockwise, and left to go counter-clockwise.
Clockwise.jpg
Clockwise.jpg (3.21 KiB) Viewed 6624 times
What if you describe the arrow like this image? It's pointing left, kind of, but still more properly indicating a clockwise rotation.

EDIT: OK, you DO actually describe it as a curved arrow. I think the issue is says it's "pointing" clockwise, which I can see as a bit confusing to some. How about saying "the knob is adorned (or emblazoned?) with a symbol indicating it should be twisted in a clockwise direction?" Wordy, but maybe more clear that way.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Download the current PDF and take a look at the new diagram I added... then check back in here if you still think it needs more explanation.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Whoops, haven't uploaded it yet. Hold on a bit...
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

I think that definitely looks better than a straight arrow. The image does clarify what you mean by "points clockwise," but I still think it's a bit oddly worded.

That said, I'm horrible at puzzles like that though - so as a player, I doubt I'd "get" it, or if I did, if I'd risk twisting that knob. :o
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

The image does help out, thanks! :)
PapersAndPaychecks

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

That's exactly what I envisaged. :)