[AA3] The Crypt of the Forgotten Lord

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: [AA3] The Crypt of the Forgotten Lord

Post by chiisu81 »

r4 uploaded to first post. Corrected all XP values.
borgar

Post by borgar »

I felt it was time to do another map and ended up drawing the map from this module because it was limited in size. I also wanted to see if I could come up with a filler style that at looked different from Dyson Logos. Though I doubt I'll use this particular decoration style a lot since it was a much slower than the crosshatches.

Here is the result :
crypt_of_the_forgotten_lord.png
crypt_of_the_forgotten_lord.png (157.06 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
The full scale XCF (gimp) file is in the AA3 project folder.

Let me know if there are any errors. All numbers, markers, stairs and similar are on separate layers and can be moved, adjusted or replaced.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

That's really great work, thanks! 8-) I'll include in the next release.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r5 uploaded to first post (and copied to Projects folder). Added Borgar's map, corrected spelling of Forsaken in all needed instances, and removed italics in the tables.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are the corrections I made:

Page 7 – 9. The Descent – Boxed text
Awkward language, descend and downward both mean the same thing.
Was:
The stairs descend downward.
Change to:
The stairs descend for 10 feet at the bottom is a 10 foot hall that turns to the right and goes for anther 10 feet.

Page 7 – 10. The Memorial of Yllsdrid … – 2nd Boxed Text
Awkward language
Was:
They carry no weapons, but they set up you in complete disregard of yours.
Changed to:
The former pillars carry no weapons, but still attack in complete disregard of your weapons.

Page 7 – 10. The Memorial of Yllsdr … – Between 2nd and 3rd Boxed Texts
Was:
After Yllsdrid defeated, read the following:
Changed to:
After Yllsdrid is defeated, read the following:

Page 7 – 10. The Memorial of Yllsdr … – Between 2nd and 3rd Boxed Texts
Was:
The statue crumbles to ground.
Changed to:
The statue crumbles to the ground.

Page 8 – 4 Shambling Keepers – Stat Block
Changed o match creature stats on page 9
Was:
AC 10, HD 2,
Changed to:
AC 12, HD 3,

Page 8 – 11. The Room of Portals – Portal 11c description
Was:
If at least one of the PCs enters this portal, they are all teleported back to Room 10. The room will reset to how it was when the PCs first entered the room and initiated the encounter including the secret door being sealed, but the PCs will now appear as the shambling keepers that guard the room. They will not be able to move or act until their past iterations trigger the encounter.
Change to:
If at least one of the PCs enters this portal, all the PCs are teleported to Room 10. The room will be reset to how it was when the PCs first entered the room including the secret door being sealed, but the PCs will now be the shambling keepers that guard the room. The PCs will not be able to move or act until their past iterations trigger the encounter.

Page 8 – 11. The Room of Portals – Boxed text after portal 11c description
Reducing pronouns
Was:
You stand frozen, facing the stairs that lead into the room containing Yllsdrid’s statue. Then you see them. That is, you see yourselves moving cautiously towards the statue. You cannot see them anymore, but you know what must be happening. That sound, that rumble. You are free, but what has happened? Your limbs are … wood?
Changed to:
You stand frozen, facing the stairs that lead into the room containing Yllsdrid’s statue. The statue is whole and back on the pedestal. You then see a group of people enter from the stairs, and they look familiar. You are seeing yourselves moving cautiously towards the statue. Suddenly you cannot see the adventurers anymore, but you know what must be happening. That sound, that rumble. You are free, but what has happened? Your limbs are … wood?

Page 8 – 11. The Room of Portals – Paragraph after boxed text after portal 11c description
Reduce pronouns
Was:
The PCs will be set upon by their former selves. To break the enchantment, they must defeat themselves. Otherwise, if the Yllsdrid falls, the encounter will reset yet again. When the enchantment breaks, the PCs return to their normal selves. Provide the PCs with the following stats:
Changed to:
The PCs will be set upon by their former selves. To break the enchantment, the PC Shambling Keepers must defeat their adventurer counterparts. Otherwise, if the Yllsdrid statue falls, the encounter will reset yet again. When the enchantment breaks, the PCs return to their normal selves. Provide the PC Shambling Keepers with the following stats:

Page 9 – Shambling Keeper – Paragraph 1
Was:
Upon initial appearance, Shambling Keepers are wooden supports in his memorial chamber. In stasis, they stand 10’ in height. Animated, they unfold to about 6’ in height, with long appendages. In fact, they were once human, or at least human-like as members of the Forsaken race. Through magic, they have been transformed and are bound by the magic of Yllsdrid. They serve to protect his memorial and, thus, his true resting place. They are recklessly aggressive in nature because they are willed to be so. Because of their enchantment, they are highly susceptible to fire. A successful hit with a flame implement or fire magic deals 50% more damage than a similar attack without fire. Similarly, a highly dexterous attack may sever a sinew connecting their wooden limbs, which will reduce their attack by 50%. They are unknown to those outside of the crypt save for those who have extensive knowledge of Forsaken lore.
Changed to:
Upon initial appearance, Shambling Keepers are wooden supports in Yllsdrid’s memorial chamber. In stasis, they stand 10’ in height. Animated, they unfold to about 6’ in height, with long appendages. In fact, they were once human, or at least human-like as members of the Forsaken race. Through magic, they have been transformed and are bound to Yllsdrid. The keepers serve to protect Yellsdrid’s memorial and, thus, his true resting place. The Shambling Keepers are recklessly aggressive in nature. Because of the enchantment, keepers are highly susceptible to fire. A successful hit with a flame implement or fire magic deals 50% more damage. Similarly, a highly dexterous attack may sever a sinew connecting their wooden limbs, which will reduce their attack by 50%. The Shambling Keepers are unknown to those outside of the crypt save for those who have extensive knowledge of Forsaken lore.

Page 9 – Slithering Terror – Paragraph 1
Removed bold from ‘reptilian’. Bolded first instance of the creatures name.

Page 10 – Slithering Terror – Paragraph 1
Change ‘They’ to ‘Slithering Terrors’.

Page 10 – The Forsaken – Paragraph 1
Was:
As such, the undead of this creature share all the same common strengths and weaknesses of human undead – most commonly skeletons.
Changed to:
As such, the undead of these creatures share all the same common strengths and weaknesses of human undead – most commonly skeletons.

Page 10 – Yllsdrid, The Forsaken Lord (Statue) – Paragraph 1
Removed bold from ‘statue’ and ‘Golem, stone’. In last sentence corrected spelling from ‘Ylldrid’ to ‘Yllsdrid’.

Adding r6 to the first post.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I also had a few things that I didn't fix, but may need an answer for:
Page 3 – Entrance and Main Corridor – Paragraph 2
Awkward language.
Currently:
While the complex is located in the rock of the cavern floors, the crypt itself is constructed from smoothly cut stone.
Suggest:
While the rest of the cavern is rough, the walls and floor of the crypt itself is constructed from smoothly cut stone.

What is meant by ‘very high’, ‘high’, or ‘moderate’ ability checks used throughout this module? Percentage roll, ‘y in dx’ or another type of roll?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I like your revised sentence, but shouldn't it be "are constructed"?

Dunno about the ability rolls. Is the author of this one still around?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I was thinking of the crypt system as a singular whole (catacomb) instead of the plural crypts (graves) that are in the complex.

The author of this one was online last week so we may get a response.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

It would need to be either:
While the rest of the cavern is rough, the walls and floor of the crypt itself are constructed from smoothly-cut stone. -or-
While the rest of the cavern is rough, the crypt itself is constructed from smoothly-cut stone.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:35 am I was thinking of the crypt system as a singular whole (catacomb) instead of the plural crypts (graves) that are in the complex.
In the sentence given, "is constructed" modifies "walls and floor" which are properly plural.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org