[TSGS] The Simple Game System, 2nd Edition

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Danielaurence

Re: [TSGS] The Simple Game System, 2nd Edition

Post by Danielaurence »

Very interesting! The simplicity and the success/failure roll mechanic immediately reminds me of BEAN! The D2 RPG. Have you ever played that? The D2 beans used in that game could potentially work in TSGS. The mechanic used there is that every roll is either a 1 or a 0. This would of course eliminate the system you set up with boxcars and snake eyes, but it could be replaced by the even simpler system used in BEAN, which is that a roll of all 1s allows you to add another bean to your roll, and keep adding them until you get a 0, while a roll of all 0s is just an automatic failure of whatever you were trying to do.

In any case, I like what I see! The ability/disability mechanic is very clever. Nice work!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

GreatTheAlfred wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 am This looks great!

- In Character Generation: "For each ability, the equivalent disability is listed in parentheses beside it.", but there are no actual parentheses.
Oops. Fixed.
GreatTheAlfred wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 am - I think it should be better explained how skills influence rolls with bonuses/penalties: a "normal" one gives one extra die and a "+" one gives two, am I right?
You are right, with respect to what the rules say, but I now realize I have that part wrong; choosing a skill once lets you do it with no bonus (without the skill, you either can't do the thing or suffer a penalty doing it). Additional picks should add a number of additional dice.

Will fix for R5.
GreatTheAlfred wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 am - When an opposed roll occurs, how do you manage bonus dice rolls?
"Any time a 6 is rolled on a die, the player (or GM) may add an a bonus die to the pool.
The decision of whether or not to add dice does not have to be made right away; the player may wait to see what result the opponent has rolled before choosing whether to add the additional dice or not. Of course, the opponent can do the same thing."

Let's say two characters rolled three dice with these results:

Char1 - 6 5 5 -> 3
Char2 - 6 4 2 -> 2

Char2 wants to roll his boxcar bonus die because he could tie getting to 3.
Char1 doesn't know whether he should roll his one or not because Char2 could just fail his boxcar but could also tie, and Char1 could win his boxcar getting to 4.
Can Char1 wait for Char2's boxcar and THEN decide whether to roll or not his?
Or do they have to roll their boxcars simultaneously?
No, they don't have to be simultaneous. Naturally, Char2 wants to roll, so he does. If he rolls a success, then Char1 will roll his bonus too; if Char2's bonus is a failure, Char1 would sensibly not try it.
GreatTheAlfred wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 am - Effects of Being Wounded: "Immediately upon being wounded, a character must make a toughness roll against the total number of wounds he or she has accrued."

If Char1 gets hit by a normally strong character with a shortsword getting 1 wound point, he has to roll toughness against 1.
Let's say he saves and is now wounded (1).
Later on, he gets hit again by the same normally strong character with the same shortsword getting another wound point, reaching two wound points.
What does Char1 have to roll against? 1 or 2?
Is "the total number of wounds he or she accrued" the total of wound points of the single attack or the total of wound points that got stacked on him?
2. Total accrued is total unhealed points.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Does this mean that Dirigible of Doom will be ramping back up?
:D
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded R5, fixing the things noted above.

Sounds like BEAN! has an interesting mechanic. Honestly though, this mechanic works for me.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

rredmond wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:05 pm Does this mean that Dirigible of Doom will be ramping back up?
:D
I'd run it if players suddenly appeared.

I'd rather restart Space Force though.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Phooey. ;) None of those cats are here anymore?
Where's the Space Force game? I'm in a Star Trek (STAGitFF) PbP that I'm enjoying very much. If ou are missing a player from the Space Force game... :mrgreen:
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

More like missing all the players.
Elouin

Post by Elouin »

Can someone tell me how exactly now the licensing on those works?
Because above the CC notice you write "All Rights Reserved", but CC licenses are "Some Rights Reserved", if iam not completely mistaken. So what of the Materials, especially Dead Cities, can i modify and share under cc-by-sa without getting a letter from a lawyer?
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

This looks really neat.

Only a bit of technical criticism. To me, reading "boxcars" or "snakeeyes" means specifically a 2d6 roll resulting in either 12 or 2. Just a six or one is just that result. Mechanically what's in the text is probably fine, but I was slightly confused at first.

I'd been thinking of a 2d6 system somewhat along these lines (though even more streamlined) as a way to start up an RPG game quickly without needing to refer to (or be familiar with) rules. I think these rules might really fit the bill.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Elouin: You are right. I need to revise that. Under the OGL, we say that first and then give details revising the original statement; I'm not actually sure that's correct, but it's how I've always done it. For TSGS it's definitely confusing, so I do need to revise it.