Equipment Emporium Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
LleijS

Re: Equipment Emporium Supplement

Post by LleijS »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:13 pm Yeah, that would be a crazy number of chickens to take care of, even in a large family with many children.

BTW... I've tended chickens before; 20 to 30, if I remember right, for a couple of years.
Ok, but we're talking about heroes here. If we go by Gygax's (if I remember correctly) analogy that a heroic "fighting-man" is equivalent to about 10 normal men in prowess, then a character who takes the chicken-tender class would be able to raise 200 to 300 chickens individually. So a party of five or six chicken-tenders could conceivably raise 1500 chickens. Even more with hirelings and retainers.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

LleijS wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:32 am Ok, but we're talking about heroes here. If we go by Gygax's (if I remember correctly) analogy that a heroic "fighting-man" is equivalent to about 10 normal men in prowess, then a character who takes the chicken-tender class would be able to raise 200 to 300 chickens individually. So a party of five or six chicken-tenders could conceivably raise 1500 chickens. Even more with hirelings and retainers.
Lol, I don't think Gary Gygax was thinking about tending chicken when he said they were equivalent to ten men :) Good meme though :D
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

I've noticed something a bit weird in the headwear section, Page 23 of R.21

Headband, Mens 25gp and
Headband, Womens 40gp

I don't see anything wrong with the price difference, but that seems like a hell of a lot of money for
"Headband: Leather band to keep the wearer’s hair out of his or her eyes.", this means a leather hairband is 5gp more than a full set of leather armour

especially when a gold circlet is only 15gp, I would suspect the Headbands should be in silver, or maybe even copper?
No matter where you go...there you are
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

TrickyNikki wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:42 am
LleijS wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:32 am Ok, but we're talking about heroes here. If we go by Gygax's (if I remember correctly) analogy that a heroic "fighting-man" is equivalent to about 10 normal men in prowess, then a character who takes the chicken-tender class would be able to raise 200 to 300 chickens individually. So a party of five or six chicken-tenders could conceivably raise 1500 chickens. Even more with hirelings and retainers.
Lol, I don't think Gary Gygax was thinking about tending chicken when he said they were equivalent to ten men :) Good meme though :D
Can you imagine? A fighting man can dig a moat in the same time as 10 regular men. Fighting man can harvest wheat at 10x the rate of a regular farm hand. Yeah, we can assume that it was meant that a fighting man is worth 10 normal men in battle and not that they could build a stone wall 10x faster than a normal person.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Equivalent in fighting prowess, guys, not overall capabilities.

And in the game system of which you speak, it's not that pronounced. A fighting man of 10th level is about equal to 10 men, using either the wargame rules or the 1E-era rule for multiple attacks vs. opponents having less than one hit die (which includes Normal Men).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Boggo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:51 am I've noticed something a bit weird in the headwear section, Page 23 of R.21

Headband, Mens 25gp and
Headband, Womens 40gp

I don't see anything wrong with the price difference, but that seems like a hell of a lot of money for
"Headband: Leather band to keep the wearer’s hair out of his or her eyes.", this means a leather hairband is 5gp more than a full set of leather armour

especially when a gold circlet is only 15gp, I would suspect the Headbands should be in silver, or maybe even copper?
Even those materials wouldn't warrant such prices. Not sure how we missed that, but for leather I'd mark them as 2gp and 4gp, at most.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Pretty much what I've house ruled it, though I just made them sp, which ends up equivalent to 2.5gp and 4gp
No matter where you go...there you are
cb-nz

Post by cb-nz »

Is Equipment Emporium missing on Lulu? Couldn't find it by search of title, ISBN or via the BFRPG store front. Thanks
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Weirdly, it was in fact missing. Actually, it was there but was set to private access, for no apparent reason. So I've activated it, and you should be able to find it here:

https://www.lulu.com/shop/joe-ludlum/th ... pageSize=4
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
cb-nz

Post by cb-nz »

thanks