CS2 The Dark Temple

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Temple

Post by Solomoriah »

Another question, probably for Chi: Who drew the giant cockroach artwork? I think it's from FG2.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:56 pm I've started putting the combined adventure module together, and I have a question: In Children of Zewlac, who is artist for the "seal" artwork?
By "seal" if you mean the carved door? That's me.
The giant cockroach comes from the first field guide page 19. I can't tell who the artist is.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm hoping Chi remembers who the giant cockroach artist was, but he probably won't respond before tomorrow.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

If I remember correctly, same as the author of that critter.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Um. I thought the Giant Cockroach was a Stuart Marshall monster. I didn't think he was an artist... but if he is, well, need to credit him.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Y'all need your eyes checked :p The illustration is signed by its artist, Stephen Trenkamp, and the entry, as noted in the OGL, is by Omer Golan-Joel.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Heh
Stand corrected.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, sorting out the OGL text is going to take a few revisions... my belief is that we can omit copyright statements for monsters we didn't use, but even so, that means we have to go through the book and make sure we get them all. I've gotten a start with my R1 that I'll be uploading soon; just one more thing we need to check.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

CS2 The Dark Temple, Release 1 -- October 20, 2019
Here is the very first release of this new adventure multimodule, collecting the six adventures submitted to The Dark Temple contest. Though this is an early version, it's already functionally complete and ready to playtest!

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#cs2

Just think, guys. I announced the contest on August 21. It's now October 20, two months almost to the day later, and we have a brand new multimodule! There's a long road yet ahead hammering out the formatting and proofing the text, but don't underestimate the accomplishment here... we built a complete, usable adventure collection in two months flat. MANY THANKS to everyone who contributed, as well as the team members who have and will work to get this book into print!
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I think its awesome that a complete module was put out this quickly. I always love these short compilations. They are so easy to plug into a campaign and so easy to prep for.

I didn't get a chance to write out an adventure this year but would love to sometime. I would like to suggest that the next one be an outdoor/ wilderness location.

Fun story: when I ran my very first every campaign with my son and his friends, I chose the "Island in the River" in AA1. However, I did not know that it was not really a complete adventure. It was basically just a sandbox adventure and I had to come up with the story and all sorts of other stuff. And I didn't realize that until about 3 hours before everyone was about to play. I just slapped some stuff together and went by the encounter tables in the back of the rule book. And guess what? We had the best time ever. I just created more story as they explored the island and went off of what the players said (and plugged my own ideas in). I didn't know it at the time but I was doing what every "old school"/ OSR person says to do: run a "sandbox" adventure.

It would be great to see some different adventures flow out of a specific location in the wilderness. I personally love outdoor adventures, especially ones with a lot of special rules and "wrinkles."

Great job on this contest though. I plan on running one of the adventures since my players are currently running around in a coastal city.