CS2 The Dark Temple

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Temple CONTEST ENTRY THREAD

Post by Solomoriah »

You needn't worry. The Dark Temple will be CS2, and will definitely be in print. The second contest, The Pit, did not yield a "usable" dungeon, and I blame myself for how I designed the contest; Dark Temple went back to the same model as Castle by the Sea, which was very successful (in my opinion, of course).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

MinkyBoodle wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:35 am
Oh no! Wish you could have found the time to finish, but I'm happy you will still upload it once you're finished. Reading everybody's ideas and execution has been my favorite part of this whole thing.

Good luck to everybody who is participating. Here's hoping we have enough adventures and good content to make The Dark Temple a print candidate down the line.
Exactly!
teaman

Post by teaman »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:10 pm You needn't worry. The Dark Temple will be CS2, and will definitely be in print. The second contest, The Pit, did not yield a "usable" dungeon, and I blame myself for how I designed the contest; Dark Temple went back to the same model as Castle by the Sea, which was very successful (in my opinion, of course).
Great! Glad you got enough entries and I look forward to seeing them all in one place.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Question for Sean: I'm reading through "Three Days" and I have to say, WOW. But one thing I'm not seeing in my head is the tripod. What, exactly, is this tripod? The name implies three legs, but says nothing about what's on top of it; one scene depicting it with its original owner says:
A golden tripod sits on a table behind him, which he periodically consults as he proceeds with his writing.
while another says:
A man with long black hair stares intently into a burning golden tripod.
I'm sorry, I'm very confused. The first quote seems to indicate it's an instrument of some sort, or perhaps it holds a book; the second makes it sound like a brazier. What am I supposed to be imagining here?
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:11 pm Question for Sean: I'm reading through "Three Days" and I have to say, WOW. But one thing I'm not seeing in my head is the tripod. What, exactly, is this tripod? The name implies three legs, but says nothing about what's on top of it; one scene depicting it with its original owner says:
A golden tripod sits on a table behind him, which he periodically consults as he proceeds with his writing.
while another says:
A man with long black hair stares intently into a burning golden tripod.
I'm sorry, I'm very confused. The first quote seems to indicate it's an instrument of some sort, or perhaps it holds a book; the second makes it sound like a brazier. What am I supposed to be imagining here?
The latter -- a brazier. The picture I had in mind when writing this was something along the lines of: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/255068 (albeit more sinister)

But you're right, this could use some clarification. I'll put up a r4 that adds some additional description around this object.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so I was right to see it as a brazier. (Note to self... might need to ask an artist or two to do drawings of all the "special" items from this adventure.) What does it mean that he "consults" it?
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Illustrations could be very helpful here. In my current game, our female half-orc demanded she get the large magical brazier the party just found because clearly it would fit her best. Our DM had difficulty pronouncing "brazier" and we all thought it was a kind of specialized armor.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am Okay, so I was right to see it as a brazier. (Note to self... might need to ask an artist or two to do drawings of all the "special" items from this adventure.) What does it mean that he "consults" it?
I remember watching a documentary about Nostradamus and a dramatization showed him looking into a bowl of something that hung from a tripod over a small fire (like a bunson burner) the tripod was about two foot high. There were CGI images of a nuke going off and then President Kennedy shown above the bowl, like the bowl was showing Nostradamus images of future events. When I read the module, that is the picture I imagined.

Here is a picture of what I remember under the "Satan's Prophet..." heading. When he looks into the bowl, he would be "consulting" the tripod.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 7638854648
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

AlMan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:42 pm
Solomoriah wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 am Okay, so I was right to see it as a brazier. (Note to self... might need to ask an artist or two to do drawings of all the "special" items from this adventure.) What does it mean that he "consults" it?
I remember watching a documentary about Nostradamus and a dramatization showed him looking into a bowl of something that hung from a tripod over a small fire (like a bunson burner) the tripod was about two foot high. There were CGI images of a nuke going off and then President Kennedy shown above the bowl, like the bowl was showing Nostradamus images of future events. When I read the module, that is the picture I imagined.

Here is a picture of what I remember under the "Satan's Prophet..." heading. When he looks into the bowl, he would be "consulting" the tripod.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 7638854648
AlMan that is *exactly* what I had in mind! The movie was called "The Man Who Saw Tomorrow" and was narrated by Orson Welles of all people.
ruzzzr

Post by ruzzzr »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:10 pm You needn't worry. The Dark Temple will be CS2, and will definitely be in print. The second contest, The Pit, did not yield a "usable" dungeon, and I blame myself for how I designed the contest; Dark Temple went back to the same model as Castle by the Sea, which was very successful (in my opinion, of course).
Have you considered rebooting The Pit contest? It seems like there are quite a few of us willing to do some module writing currently and something tells me you'd get a usable dungeon or 2 out of it.