AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Post by Solomoriah »

The name could be a cover; however, if it is, I'd love to see the story behind it's selection.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

AA3 Adventure Anthology Three, Release 7 -- July 12, 2021
Here's an updated version of this adventure multimodule, with many revisions, but there's still a ways to go. Jump in, and let us know if you find anything that could be better.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#aa3

One thing I'd like to call to the attention of all proofers and reviewers for this book... please look over the boxed text carefully. There are a lot of failures of information hiding in them. If the GM gives anything away to the players just by reading the boxed text, that's our fault. I fixed a few things in this release, but did not have time to be anything like thorough.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Cumbana820

Post by Cumbana820 »

Would love to see more measurements of distance on the maps. For example: One hex=x miles or 1 square equals x feet.

It's not critical, but certainly helps.
Cumbana820

Post by Cumbana820 »

Let me re-phrase: Not all the maps have the measurements, but many do. Would be helpful if they all did imo.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 115. Ciphers

Weird to have the encrypted letters above the non encrypted letters.
I guess it's okay if it's presented as a way to decrypt, but I still find the lowercase/uppcase usage confusing here.

Is the key fixed or included with the message?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 119, first paragraph.

"All you can see are mast heads and cross trees"

Maybe "crosstrees" ?

" After awhile you arrive at a large square, a sign revealing it is called “Procurator's Circus”.

The square is revealed by a sign and the sign is called Procurator's Circus?
Maybe "a sign reveals that it is called Procurator's Circus".

" You shiver as you see the gallows, dead center in the square; one poor soul hangs here."

Maybe not literally. Something more descriptive would be much better here. What do I see? A stiff figure? With or without clothes?

"Just to your right is a large building with an elaborate sign that says“Council”. "

"elaborate sign" begs for a more detailed description. What's elaborate about it? Is it not just one word on a wood board?

Encounter with Terey

"These men are thieves (#3 in random encounters). and will fight to escape when discovered. "

The thieves are actually #4 in random encounters.

Extra "."

"fight to escape"? should that be "try to escape"? Fighting is kinda like the opposite. Would be better if the thieves already had precise escape plans detailed here.

" I couldn’t help but notice your vigilant eyes and how you discovered those thieves and dealt with them accordingly. "

That's assuming the thieves didn't escape.

Terey's story

"If you agree to join us, you’ll have to endure pain and make sacrifices. But the reward is bigger, and you can rest assured that you will make a difference for the grassroots of Vadrifell."

The reward is bigger than what? The pain and sacrifices? That's an apple to orange comparison. Sure, NPCs can suck at grammar, but he could also say that the reward will be big and leave it at that.

The initiation

"You are brought into a large,rectangular, dimly-lit room. "

I think it's just a "dimly lit room".
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 120.

"The gnome replies, “I do sir, your servant Master Terey."

Terey is described as a human thief in the NPC list.

"Master" might be the wrong title for a mid-level thief who calls himself a servant.

"So strangers are you ready to commit your life into our hands?”

So, if anyone in the party answer no, it's an instant total party kill? Should probably make that more obvious. Like pointing out everybody in the room is staring at the party and standing on their toes with their hands hidden. (I assume they are a quiet sort with short swords in leather scabbards.)
Last edited by Seven on Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PerformanceChecks

Post by PerformanceChecks »

Page 55- "The adventurers happened to meet in The PillowHead Inn, a hostel that doesn’t serve food or drink."
Shouldn't that be hotel?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

PerformanceChecks wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:51 pm Page 55- "The adventurers happened to meet in The PillowHead Inn, a hostel that doesn’t serve food or drink."
Shouldn't that be hotel?
Hostel works for me:
Definition of hostel (Entry 1 of 2)
1: INN
2: an inexpensive lodging facility for usually young travelers that typically has dormitory-style sleeping arrangements and sometimes offers meals and planned activities
3: chiefly British: a supervised institutional residence or shelter (as for homeless people)

Noting that the latter two definitions are more modern uses of the word. Inn as the primary (and more historic definition) is a good fit.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 120.
The Training

I'm a bit confused here. I'm supposed to give thieves skills to all the players?
What about the actual thieves? They get no benefit?
Personally, I'd give an extra level to any thief right there and non thief would only get the equivalent of a level 0 thief:

Open Locks 20
Move Silently 20
Climb Walls 75
Hide 5
listen 25

I think that would be pretty generous.