AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Post by Solomoriah »

The current R8 includes their names. It wouldn't hurt to go over all the boxed text and make sure it's organized correctly, but the rooms I mentioned I've already revised. Really, never hurts to look these things over in any adventure... I sometimes cringe when reading my older works.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

While putting together the "skeleton" document for AA4, I already noticed a few needed corrections in AA3, so along with a pending read-through I'll start work on r9 in the near future.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Excellent, thanks!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I've begun work on r9. I've added Francisco's illustration of Meat Grinder, and have done a pass-through for HP checkboxes, text formatted incorrectly, etc.
Next will be a full read-through, primarily to check/edit boxed text as has been mentioned.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r9 has been completed and put into Projects.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I'll start an editing pass soon.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are some comments on Adventure Anthology 3
AA3 Comments – Ver 9

Whole Book

Whole book – Skeleton Stat Blocks
Do we want to add the note about special armor abilities to any skeleton descriptions (Haunted Bone). Starting in Morgansfort BF1 there is the note “(half damage from edged weapons, 1 point only from arrows, bolts, or sling stones) “ added to skeleton stat block AC entry.

Fire Mountain

Page 6 – 7 – The Trap
The chance to remove the sword is a roll above but if the DEX bonus is added then the chance to remove the sword is diminished. A roll below would make getting the sword easier for more dexterous character and harder for the less dexterous.
Example: A fighter with a DEX of 17 has a +2 DEX bonus. As written the character would need to roll a 19 or 20 to get the sword. A cleric with a DEX of 5 has a -2 DEX bonus. As written this character would need to roll a 15 or higher to get the sword. Using the suggestion below the fighter would need to roll a 1 to 5 and the cleric would need to roll a 1 or 2.

Currently: If there is no Thief in the party, the sword may be removed on a 1d20 roll of 17 or higher (+/- DEX Bonus).
Suggest: If there is no Thief in the party, the sword may be removed on a 1d20 roll of 3 or lower (+/- DEX Bonus).

A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Page 45 – Wandering Monster Table
The wandering monster table is using Soutane 9 pt font. The rest of the main text in the book is using Century Gothic 9.5 font. Should the table fonts be the same as the rest of the book?

Page 53 – GM Map of Temple
Page 55 – Players Map of Room 3

Suggest that one of the squares be blacked out and one whited out with an L or S in the opposite color to denote where the ladder and slide are. The starting image should show where the L and S are when the characters come in. The GM can then use a copy of Room 3 to keep track of where the L and S are too.

The Ruined Sawmill

Page 94 – Blood Rose Stat Block
I’m not going to correct this, but wanted to get a ruling.
The Blood Rose as described in the Core Rules page 61 has the HD from 2* - 4* and the attack as 1-3 whip canes. I think that a 2* HD Blood Rose will have a single cane, a 3* HD Blood Rose having 2 canes and a 4* HD Blood rose having 3 canes. If I’m not correct in this thinking let me know, if I am then the Blood Roses in the Wandering Monster Table will need to the Attack changed. I could see more shorter canes on a lower HD Blood Rose and could be easily persuaded otherwise.

Reclamation of Castle Devyn

Page 109 – 8. Foundry
Are any of the weapons usable? Do any have bonus to hit or damage?

Page 109 – 9. Barracks
Are there any chests or footlockers and if so is there anything in them? What condition is the furniture in does it look recently used or has it been sitting for the past 50 years?

Page 109 – 10. Officer Quarterstaff
Is there any treasure in the dresser, under the bed, table drawer? What condition is the furniture in does it look recently used or has it been sitting for the past 50 years?

Page 109 – 11. Great Hall
What condition is the furniture in does it look recently used or has it been sitting for the past 50 years? Are the windows broken out? If the windows are broken, is the statue covered with guano?

Page 109 – 12. Stairs to Second Level
Is the door to the stairs locked, stuck or open, do the hinges creek when it is opened or do they sound like they are oiled? Are the candles and torches burned out or are they ready to light? Are they actually lit?

Page 110 – 22. Visitors Chamber
Is the door locked, stuck or open, do the hinges creek when it is opened or do they sound like they are oiled? What is the condition of the furniture in the room? What condition are the books in (pages falling out, bound tight, are the pages clean and crisp or about to disintegrate if read?

The Assassins Conundrum

Pages 133 and 134 – Maps for Under the Council should have compasses to show which way is north, the description on page 125 and 126 make it seem like one map is set as Level 1 has North to the top and Level 2 has North to the bottom of the page.

The Grave of Gareth

Page 139 in the paragraph before the stat blocks it mentions that the Kobold may fight to the death if the party has been “herded” into the room. Should the stat block have a (12) in the Ml section to note this?

Page 139 since the Kobolds and Gnolls are not in active guard duty should they be armored or not using armor and have the AC and movement changed to reflect this?

Page 140 in the section 16. Shrine of the Harp the paragraph under the boxed text mentions that “ their loyalty to Smasher, means they are willing to die to defend their posts”. Should the stat block have a (12) in the Ml section to note this?

Page 140 since the Kobolds and Gnolls in this area are on active patrol the AC and movement should indicate that the creatures are armored.

Page 141 since the first paragraph after the boxed text mentions that the wolves “ There is no negotiating with Smasher, and his wolves are hungry enough to fight to the death” should the Ml for the wolves and smasher be 12?

Page 141 since Smasher is active his AC should be armored and the unarmored numbers for AC and movement don’t need to be used

Unbaronable Circumstances

Page 147 – 151 – Cave Areas and Map the map and rooms are not in a specific order going from cave entrance (which appears to be the east end of 9, and isn’t mentioned) and the far back corner (room 6 and above it room 6a which has the big bad villain.). The rooms seem to be randomly numbered.

Page 148 – 5. Cave Area 5 might want to mention how many Hobgoblins have armor and how many don’t or leave it up to a d12 roll to see how many still have armor on.

Page149 – 10. Cave Area 10 might want to mention that these Hobgoblins are not in armor giving the AC and movements shown.

Page 150 – 12. Cave Area 12 might want to mention that these Hobgoblins are not in armor giving the AC and movements shown.

Page 150 – 13. Cave Area 13 mention the special electrical attack of the Shocker Lizards.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here are the corrections I've made and put into Version10. I'm posting version 10 to the Dropbox folder.

Fire Mountain

Page 3 – Leofic’s Offer – Paragraph 1
Comma usage
Currently: Leofric the Venerable believes that a spell he discovered in an ancient grimoire will destroy the disease. Unfortunately the enchantment requires an ingredient he does not possess: a black diamond from a dragon’s brain.
Changed to: Leofric, the Venerable, believes that a spell he discovered in an ancient grimoire will destroy the disease. Unfortunately, the enchantment requires an ingredient he does not possess: a black diamond from a dragon’s brain.

Page 6 – Fire Elemental – Stat block
HD doesn’t match the Core Rules; number is parenthesis is an AB bonus not a bonus to HP.
Currently: HD 16+12
Change to: HD 16 (+12)

Page 7 – Giant Tuatara Lizard – Stat block
Change AC and damage to match the Core Rules entry
Currently: AC 12, HD 6, #At 2 claws/1 bite, Dam 1d4/1d6/1d6, Mv 40'(10'), Sv F5, MI 6, XP 500
Change to: AC 16, HD 6, #At 2 claws/1 bite, Dam 1d4/1d4/2d6, Mv 40'(10'), Sv F5, MI 6, XP 500

Page 8 – 16 – Room and Maps – Room numbers
From here on the Rooms and Maps do not correspond. The Caverns of Sycoarx is listed in the adventure as room 18. The Map on page 16 has it listed as Room 14 which in the module was on Page 14 and had the cage with Hilda and Oswy. The Cave of Bones is listed on page 16 as 15 which in the module is the end of the corridor going into the hallway of Room 16.

Page 8 – Sycorax – Stat block
Breath weapon damage is not what is in the Core Rules, “The breath weapon of a dragon does 1d8 points of damage per hit die”
Currently: #At 2 claws/1 bite or breath/tail, Dam 1d10/1d10/5d8 or 12d8 cone or line 100’ long by 55’ at far end/1d8
Change to: #At 2 claws/1 bite or breath/tail, Dam 1d10/1d10/5d8 or 6d8 cone or line 100’ long by 55’ at far end/1d8

The Mystery of Drakestein Island

Page 21 – 10 Scrub – Wild Boar Stat Block
Page 21 – 11 Moorland – Wild Boar Stat Block
Morale doesn’t match Core Rules entry
Currently – Ml 12
Change to – Ml 9

A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Page 50 – 6. Northwest – Boxed Text paragraph 1
Currently: The ceiling is whole, but the room is moderately well-lit from within by a crystal statue. Between you and the crystal statue sits two creatures, each with two pairs of eyes and arms!

Change to: The ceiling is whole, but the room is moderately well-lit from within by a crystal statue. Between you and the crystal statue sit two creatures, each with two pairs of eyes and arms!

Page 51 – Pre-generated Characters
Add a blank line between characters to make it easier to separate each one.

The Search of Grimfall

Who wrote this drivel, wait I did. :)

Page 59 – Paragraph 4
Removed several instances of ‘it’ with actual nouns

Halls of Finley Manor

Page70 – Vampire – Stat block
Put the +8 in parenthesis to show that it is an AB and not an addition to the HP.
Currently – HD 8**+8
Change to – HD 8** (+8)

Cult of the Green Skull

Page 74 – 3. Werewolf Hall – Stat Block
AC doesn’t have indicator that silver weapons are needed to injure the creature.
Currently - AC 15
Changed to - AC 15 †

Page 74 – 4. Barracks Room – Bugbear Stat Block
Damage and Save As don’t match the Core Rules, bugbears get a plus 1 to damage from STR and the Save As is Fighter 3.
Currently: Dam 1d8+1 or by weapon, Mv 30', Sv F2
Changed to: Dam 1d8+1 or by weapon+1, Mv 30', Sv F3

Page 74 – 5. Unholy Ooze – Necrotic Ooze Stat Block
Stat block doesn’t match what is in Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1.
Currently - AC 12, HD 3*, #At 1 pseudopod, Dam 2d8, Mv 1', Sv F3, Ml 12, XP 175
Changed to -AC 13, HD 3, #At 1 pseudopod, Dam 1d6, Mv 10', Sv F3, Ml 11, XP 145

The Crypt of the Forgotten Lord

Page 81 – Corridor of the Forgotten – Paragraph 5
Northeast crypt is already described as having an Undead Forgotten, see paragraph 3.
Currently – The southwest and northeast crypts are empty except for a lever on the back wall of each crypt.
Change to – The southwest and northwest crypts are empty except for a lever on the back wall of each crypt.

The Ruined Sawmill

Page 94 – Wandering Monster Table Forest (Day) – Dire Wolves HP blocks and Hangman Tree HP blocks
Put line break (enter) and tabs for the Dire Wolves that have over 20 HP Blocks and the Hangman Tree so they don’t appear so crowded on the page and match other entries that have over 20 hit points.

Page 95 – Wandering Monster Table Forest (night) – Assassin Vines HP blocks and Black Bear HP blocks
Put line break (enter) and tabs for the Assassin Vines that have over 20 HP Blocks and the Black Bear so they don’t appear so crowded on the page and match other entries that have over 20 hit points.

Page 95 – Wandering Monster Table Forest (night) – Pixies HP blocks
Removed line break (enter) and tabs for the Pixies on the right column that have 8 HP Blocks.

Page 98 – 12. Latrines – Rot Grub HP Blocks
It is listed that there are 20 Rot Grubs with 1 HP per creature. There are 40 HP Blocks removed 20 blocks.

Reclamation of Castle Devyn

Page 106 – Directions to the Castle – Paragraph 4
Misspelling
Currently – … use the following table for random enounters along the way.
Changed to – … use the following table for random encounters along the way.

Page 107 – Along the Coast – Bear Stat Block
Might want to mention the type of Bear
Currently – Bear:
Change to – Black Bear:

Page 107 – Along the Coast – Boar Stat Block
Movement doesn’t include the turning stat listed in Core Rules.
Currently – Mv 50’
Change to – Mv 50’ (10’)

Page 110 – 19. Throne Room – Duke Gundahar’s Stat block
AC doesn’t have the magic weapon indicator (double dagger).
Currently – AC 17
Change to – AC 17‡

Page 111 – 25. Clerics Quarters – Steel Spider Stat Block
Damage is not in the usual form.
Currently – Dam 1d6,
Change to – Dam 1d6/1d6,

The Assassins Conundrum

No corrections needed.

The Grave of Gareth

Page 137 – Wandering Moster – Giant Bat Stat Block
Flying turn radius isn’t given
Currently – Mv 10' Fly 60',
Change to – Mv 10' Fly 60' (10’),

Unbaronable Circumstances

Page 144 – Introduction – Boxed Text
Remove confusing pronouns
Currently – The new Baron arrives in town, seeking help to recover his wife who was taken by change hobgoblins after they attacked their carriage.
Change to – The new Baron arrives in town, seeking help to recover his wife, she was taken by hobgoblins that attacked the Baron’s carriage.

Page 144 – At the Crazy Unicorn – Paragraph after Boxed text
Remove confusing pronouns
Currently – His carriage and guards were attacked by a horde of hobgoblins while they were on their way to Brebury. While they killed a goodly sum of their number, his guards were slain and his wife taken. The Baron was knocked unconscious during the fight and the creatures may have assumed he was dead; they left him laying in the road.
Change to – His carriage and guards were attacked by a horde of hobgoblins while on their way to Brebury. While the guards killed a goodly sum of the hobgoblins number, his guards were slain and his wife taken. The Baron was knocked unconscious during the fight and the creatures may have assumed the Baron was dead; the hobgoblins left him laying in the road.

Page 146 – Wandering Monsters – Dungeon – Tapper Stat Block
Moral stat doesn’t match the Basic Fantasy Field Guide Vol 1. Highest score for Moral is 12 since it is a 2d6 roll.
Currently – Ml 14
Change to – Ml 12
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:37 pm The Assassins Conundrum
No corrections needed.
:D
But seriously thank you for taking the time to go through the whole thing Al! 8-) I'll let Solo chime in on any of your notes, and then I'll start on r11 in the near future.
Attachments
averygoodwriterisamongus.gif
averygoodwriterisamongus.gif (3 MiB) Viewed 1231 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pm Here are some comments on Adventure Anthology 3
AA3 Comments – Ver 9

Whole Book

Whole book – Skeleton Stat Blocks
Do we want to add the note about special armor abilities to any skeleton descriptions (Haunted Bone). Starting in Morgansfort BF1 there is the note “(half damage from edged weapons, 1 point only from arrows, bolts, or sling stones) “ added to skeleton stat block AC entry.
In short, yes. I've been doing this whenever I see a place it's needed, for skeletons and zombies both.