AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Post by Solomoriah »

Also, I note that Al's comments mention damage that isn't in the standard format. Remember that we are revising the standard format to give damage by attack type. For example, for a monster with #At 2 claws/1 bite:

Dam 1d6/1d6/1d4

becomes

Dam 1d6 claw, 1d4 bite
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Oooo boy, there's a lot that's gonna need to be revised/updated, not just in AA3 but likely all in-progress items.
We'll also have to update the Style Guide.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:04 am Also, I note that Al's comments mention damage that isn't in the standard format. Remember that we are revising the standard format to give damage by attack type. For example, for a monster with #At 2 claws/1 bite:

Dam 1d6/1d6/1d4

becomes

Dam 1d6 claw, 1d4 bite
Too bad there isn't a facepalm emoji available.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Waitaminit... I didn't come up with that change, and I'm sure I didn't dream it. How is this a surprise?

Also, it is NOT a priority. Don't go back and mess with in-print items we aren't currently revising. Don't even bother doing that to items you've already revised once and which are waiting for me.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pm
The Grave of Gareth

Page 139 in the paragraph before the stat blocks it mentions that the Kobold may fight to the death if the party has been “herded” into the room. Should the stat block have a (12) in the Ml section to note this?

Page 139 since the Kobolds and Gnolls are not in active guard duty should they be armored or not using armor and have the AC and movement changed to reflect this?

Page 140 in the section 16. Shrine of the Harp the paragraph under the boxed text mentions that “ their loyalty to Smasher, means they are willing to die to defend their posts”. Should the stat block have a (12) in the Ml section to note this?

Page 140 since the Kobolds and Gnolls in this area are on active patrol the AC and movement should indicate that the creatures are armored.

Page 141 since the first paragraph after the boxed text mentions that the wolves “ There is no negotiating with Smasher, and his wolves are hungry enough to fight to the death” should the Ml for the wolves and smasher be 12?

Page 141 since Smasher is active his AC should be armored and the unarmored numbers for AC and movement don’t need to be used
All valid points and concerns. I'd say you're overly correct on all this, Al. Thanks.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm going to get AA3 R10 uploaded today, but I note we really need a page-wide art piece for the Introduction section. I'll post that here, and if nobody bites I'll drop a comment in the requests thread.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pm Page 6 – 7 – The Trap
The chance to remove the sword is a roll above but if the DEX bonus is added then the chance to remove the sword is diminished. A roll below would make getting the sword easier for more dexterous character and harder for the less dexterous.
Example: A fighter with a DEX of 17 has a +2 DEX bonus. As written the character would need to roll a 19 or 20 to get the sword. A cleric with a DEX of 5 has a -2 DEX bonus. As written this character would need to roll a 15 or higher to get the sword. Using the suggestion below the fighter would need to roll a 1 to 5 and the cleric would need to roll a 1 or 2.

Currently: If there is no Thief in the party, the sword may be removed on a 1d20 roll of 17 or higher (+/- DEX Bonus).
Suggest: If there is no Thief in the party, the sword may be removed on a 1d20 roll of 3 or lower (+/- DEX Bonus).
The bonus or penalty should be applied to the die roll. The author has gone for an economy of words rather than saying it all plainly; I've rewritten it to say it plainly, taking a single additional line in the text.

However, I'm concerned about the sword. Automatic trap detection that works all the time seems rather overpowered. I have not changed that yet though, as I'd like to see some discussion first.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pm A Temple of Slides and Stairs

Page 45 – Wandering Monster Table
The wandering monster table is using Soutane 9 pt font. The rest of the main text in the book is using Century Gothic 9.5 font. Should the table fonts be the same as the rest of the book?
Yes. You don't have to ask me when changing incorrect fonts. The standard is Century Gothic for running text in adventures, Soutane or SoutaneBlack for headings.

I'm going to revise this further, making it match the standard we use elsewhere (i.e. with limits to the number of monsters and full stat blocks given).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so I've noticed some of the maps aren't 300 DPI. I'm making corrections as I go, and I'll post here if I need an artist or mapper to take a look at any of them. (Or the author, if he or she wants to have at it.) But for the moment they all look to be within my capabilities to correct.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 53 – GM Map of Temple
Page 55 – Players Map of Room 3

Suggest that one of the squares be blacked out and one whited out with an L or S in the opposite color to denote where the ladder and slide are. The starting image should show where the L and S are when the characters come in. The GM can then use a copy of Room 3 to keep track of where the L and S are too.
Hoping the author can chime in here. If not, we may need to redo the map.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmThe Ruined Sawmill

Page 94 – Blood Rose Stat Block
I’m not going to correct this, but wanted to get a ruling.
The Blood Rose as described in the Core Rules page 61 has the HD from 2* - 4* and the attack as 1-3 whip canes. I think that a 2* HD Blood Rose will have a single cane, a 3* HD Blood Rose having 2 canes and a 4* HD Blood rose having 3 canes. If I’m not correct in this thinking let me know, if I am then the Blood Roses in the Wandering Monster Table will need to the Attack changed. I could see more shorter canes on a lower HD Blood Rose and could be easily persuaded otherwise.
Your assessment is not wrong. This is one of those things left to the GM, but in this case I'm revising it to a single attack.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmReclamation of Castle Devyn

Page 109 – 8. Foundry
Are any of the weapons usable? Do any have bonus to hit or damage?
I'd say outright that there are no magic items among these weapons. As to their usability, let's leave that alone for a bit; the author might let us know how this is meant to be.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 109 – 9. Barracks
Are there any chests or footlockers and if so is there anything in them? What condition is the furniture in does it look recently used or has it been sitting for the past 50 years?

Page 109 – 10. Officer Quarterstaff
Is there any treasure in the dresser, under the bed, table drawer? What condition is the furniture in does it look recently used or has it been sitting for the past 50 years?

Page 109 – 11. Great Hall
What condition is the furniture in does it look recently used or has it been sitting for the past 50 years? Are the windows broken out? If the windows are broken, is the statue covered with guano?

Page 109 – 12. Stairs to Second Level
Is the door to the stairs locked, stuck or open, do the hinges creek when it is opened or do they sound like they are oiled? Are the candles and torches burned out or are they ready to light? Are they actually lit?

Page 110 – 22. Visitors Chamber
Is the door locked, stuck or open, do the hinges creek when it is opened or do they sound like they are oiled? What is the condition of the furniture in the room? What condition are the books in (pages falling out, bound tight, are the pages clean and crisp or about to disintegrate if read?
These are also things I think we should leave alone for the moment, in hopes that the author will join the discussion.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmThe Assassins Conundrum

Pages 133 and 134 – Maps for Under the Council should have compasses to show which way is north, the description on page 125 and 126 make it seem like one map is set as Level 1 has North to the top and Level 2 has North to the bottom of the page.
Ack. Let's table this for the moment, but someone should review it before we call this one done.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmThe Grave of Gareth

Page 139 in the paragraph before the stat blocks it mentions that the Kobold may fight to the death if the party has been “herded” into the room. Should the stat block have a (12) in the Ml section to note this?
Yeah, that would be correct. I'll fix it.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 139 since the Kobolds and Gnolls are not in active guard duty should they be armored or not using armor and have the AC and movement changed to reflect this?
Yup. Fixing it.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 140 in the section 16. Shrine of the Harp the paragraph under the boxed text mentions that “ their loyalty to Smasher, means they are willing to die to defend their posts”. Should the stat block have a (12) in the Ml section to note this?
Yup. Fixing it.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 140 since the Kobolds and Gnolls in this area are on active patrol the AC and movement should indicate that the creatures are armored.
Yup again.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 141 since the first paragraph after the boxed text mentions that the wolves “ There is no negotiating with Smasher, and his wolves are hungry enough to fight to the death” should the Ml for the wolves and smasher be 12?
Yup.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 141 since Smasher is active his AC should be armored and the unarmored numbers for AC and movement don’t need to be used
Yup.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmUnbaronable Circumstances

Page 147 – 151 – Cave Areas and Map the map and rooms are not in a specific order going from cave entrance (which appears to be the east end of 9, and isn’t mentioned) and the far back corner (room 6 and above it room 6a which has the big bad villain.). The rooms seem to be randomly numbered.
Oh, wow. This will never do.

Let's see... Old number to new number:
9 -> 1
4 -> 2
3 -> 3
8 -> 4
2 -> 5
2a -> 5a
14 -> 6
15 -> 7
1 -> 8
13 -> 9
10 -> 10
5 -> 11
12 -> 12
7 -> 13
11 -> 14
6 -> 15

SO now I need to go and reorganize the adventure text. One moment... (9:57pm local time)
... 2a in the key does not match any marked area on the map. Combining with the new area 5. (9:59pm)
... found the second map (not paying attention). Fixing new area 5 to add 5a, and dealing with new areas 15a and 15b. (10:03pm)
... boxed text needs to be checked to verify if room numbers are being read to players. Was the case in old area 6. (10:05pm)
... removing "Cave Area N" titles from rooms. No titles are better, or we could actually describe them. (10:06pm)
... room text renumbering and reordering complete. (10:18pm)
... main map revised. (10:33pm)
... additional map revised. (10:39pm)
Done with the Unbaronable reorganization at 10:39pm local time.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 148 – 5. Cave Area 5 might want to mention how many Hobgoblins have armor and how many don’t or leave it up to a d12 roll to see how many still have armor on.
I don't see anything that says they are taking off their armor, so I'm making them all armored.

BTW: "or by weapon" should not appear in a monster stat string. That applies to monsters in the Core Rules who might not all be using the same weapon; the GM is supposed to decide. In an adventure text the decisions should already be made. I have not reviewed the rest of the document for this; we need to make it part of our regular checks.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 149 – 10. Cave Area 10 might want to mention that these Hobgoblins are not in armor giving the AC and movements shown.
Fixed.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 150 – 12. Cave Area 12 might want to mention that these Hobgoblins are not in armor giving the AC and movements shown.
Fixed.
AlMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pmPage 150 – 13. Cave Area 13 mention the special electrical attack of the Shocker Lizards.
Done. And this caused me to review the description of that monster in FG1, which I have now revised. I'll get a new FG1 out next.