AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Post by Seven »

Page 121
Final Exam

So, the thieves guild is actually a guild of assassins?
Why not make that clear to the GM from the start?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 122
Encounter with Lady Etheld Symes

"The purpose of the PCs’ encounter with the princess is to start (if not already) to question the motives of the Order and who’s really in charge."

"to start" is a hanging phrase. I suggest "is to give the PCs an opportunity to start questioning the motives of the Order..."

“It’s you!. You are the ones killing the councilmen."

Extra .
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 123

"Don’t you think it’s strange for a brotherhood of assassins to concentrate on just councilmen?"

"Just" here is ambiguous and awkward. Is it an adjective? Have they killed the just councilmen?
It's redundant to specify concentrate this way.

"it's strange ... to concentrate on councilmen?" has more clarity. Not that the player would know what the rest of the order is doing, but still.

"If you really and truly are committed to the original strife of the Order that is."

Strife means conflict, continuous fighting. Not idea what the "original strife of the Order" refers to. Maybe "goal", "purpose", "aim", "ideal", etc....

However, at this point, the PC joined because they had to and were told not to question anything. There has been no indoctrination, so there isn't much to question. For this to work, there should be some mantra that the order is supposed to embody that they can question. Instead, they just have this ring in a shield symbol. If instead it was a dagger with the words "Do what is right" or "Death to the Oppressors" or something like that... There could be some dissonance.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Just" could be replaced by "only" which is the meaning here. Not sure it's ambiguous; it's a construction I use all the time.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

BTW: In my opinion, ALL adventures should ALWAYS have "What's Going On Here?" or similar to let the GM know the overall situation. I'm actually running Finley Manor and would have loved to have that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

Yeah, I'm just talking about just/unjust. Only would work fine too.

I'm not finding enough time to review this in one sitting, so losing the thread might be totally on me.
However, it seems to be a Roman setting with elected senators, so I'm still confused about the status of the princess.

That's the problem with political intrigues, it can get complicated. The French revolution is another decent backdrop for a league of assassins, but who can keep all the parties straight? (the Paris Commune, the National Guard, the Jacobins, the Mountain, the Girondins, etc...)
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 126.

I think there should be hit point boxes for all 3 sailors, not just one or it's kinda useless.

Also, looking more closely at the "monster" entries throughout the adventures.
Most of them are for NPCs and lack XP values.

Page 127.

There should be hit point boxes for 5 thugs.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Didn't notice r7.
Last edited by Seven on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 138.

"Characters can use torches and lanterns, or cast light in this room, and will work normally. "

"It" being the light source?
Maybe something like "Any light source, normal or magical, will work normally in this room."

"Any investigation into the hallway might reveal a slight shimmer or sheen further down into the hallway—evidence of the gelatinous cube that makes this area its home."

Wouldn't they see the magical dagger and quarterstaff floating in midair? As I presume they are inside the cube.

I guess the Grick is the "mass of reptilian scales under the table"?
Where's the treasure? (1 gem and one scroll?)

8. "The room is well lit"

by what?

Does 4 orcs and 2 goblins qualify as "various creatures"?
When I think about various creatures sitting around a table, I image 4 or more different creatures. Or they would have to be dressed differently.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 140.

12. "soft rocks"

I don't get it. What's a soft rock? Sounds like music. I might replace that with sand bags, if I were running the module.