AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Pirate GM13

Re: AA3 Adventure Anthology 3

Post by Pirate GM13 »

I have a question: Are you guys accepting any more adventures for this anthology or have you begun finalising it?
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

AA3 is closed for submissions, and is already far larger than the previous entries.
However, it won't be too long before AA4 is slowly put together; there's already quite a few adventures in Workshop in various states that will go into it, and I have two more near completion as well.
If you have an adventure, in whatever state, as always feel free to post in Workshop; unless it exceeds a general page-count limit, it's safe to say it'll make it into AA4.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think we need to rewrite some of the boxed text too. For example, the first interior room's text includes a description of the floor tiles, but goes on to say that the entire ground floor is covered with them... the players won't know that at this point.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'd just remove the reference to the rest of the house; not really an important detail unless the players ask.
For the double-dagger, I likely used the first one that came up in the symbol list, which is the plain one, where-as the one we should use is the more ornate one.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 70. Last sentence. " It would only be when discussing the events
with the local Cleric, Cephas Willems, that the party's recants will be taken seriously."

What belief is the party recanting? I have no idea.

Page 79. "The crypts in this adventure are numerous and a part of the overall complex. This may get somewhat confusing, but every effort has been made to distinguish between the two."

Distinguish between what 2 things?

Page 79. "The recessed floor/pedestal in the first corridor uses a well notation on the map."

Maybe it would be clearer to say that it's represented by a well on the map. Or by a well symbol.

Page 79. "The PCs enter the crypt complex through an entrance archway"

Maybe just "enter the crypt complex through an archway"

Page 79. "At the north end of the corridor is a small recess and is described in 1a."

Not sure what is described in 1a. The recess? The corridor? "Maybe just "At the north end of the corridor, there is a small recess as described in 1a."

Page 83.
9. The Descent.
"at the bottom is a 10 foot hall that turns to the right and goes for anther 10 feet. "

Should be "another"
Last edited by Seven on Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

It should probably be "claims" or "stories"
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 90. " Dorcas will abuse and attempt to drive away anyone who comes to her house."

Unless she's going to beat the party to a pulp, "Abuse" is probably not the right word here.

Page 91. Cigarettes are a bit of an anachronism. The word itself was coined in France around 1830 and adopted in English around 1840 and the use became popular in the Crimean War when people used newspapers. Certainly people were smoking tobacco but often with pipes but paper wrappers don't seem very medieval. Cigars? Cigarillos?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 92. Weird Object

1. "A child’s toy, scuffed but in otherwise good condition. "

Would be nice to actually describe the toy. Shouldn't be up to the DM to improvise and then possibly forget what it was. A doll maybe? A teddy bear? A wooden drum?

3. "Moisture has ruined the ink on all of the other papers, but an address in Knobstone is still legible."

Maybe include the address. The PC will probably want to go check it out, so what's there?

4. " All PCs must save vs. Paralysis or recognize the crows as harbingers of death (crows being bearers of souls to the underworld in local lore) and become stricken with
fear (per the spell) for 1d6 hours."

I don't think there is a Fear spell. Maybe it's meant to be Cause Fear, the reverse of Remove Fear? So the PC will flee for 1d6 hours? Seems excessive.

Page 97. Latrines.

The description suggests that the rot grub scores an automatic hit and that you only roll the saving throw. The monster description says "the grubs will attack if they can come into contact with the victim's skin." It doesn't say anything about an automatic hit and they should only be able to attack naked skin, like a bare hand.

Page 98. 21.

Seems like an exceptionally big loot for gnolls. Platinum is not something normally found in gnoll lairs. I doubt lumberjacks would be paid in platinum, either.

Page 99.
"The GM should award XP for discovering the true cause of the camp’s demise, rescuing Maydl, and/or destroying her shrine."

Would be nice to suggest proper XP rewards.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 103. "Seagulls fill the air with their cries, and the pilings are covered with their droppings."

Only the pillings?

Page 106. The 6 ghouls have 360 lbs of copper and 170 lbs of gold.

Are they carrying that?

Page 107. Gallus is described as a Human Magic-User 10, but he has 4 first level spells, 1 second level spell, 2 third level spells, 2 fourth level spell, 1 Cleric first level spell, 1 Cleric second level spell, 1 Cleric third level spell, 1 Cleric fourth level spell and 1 Cleric fifth level spell.

Any explanation for the unusual spell list?

Page 108. 7. "Large squares of hay are piled against the wall, with more spread out over the area."

Is that fresh hay or rotten hay from many years ago?

Page 109. 21. "besides the two un-lit torches"

Should be unlit.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Page 115.

"Menorin stretches over 4,364 square miles; 1,763 sq. miles is farmland and 2,601 sq. miles of wilderness."

That seems like way too much precision for things measured by hand. I would never use more than 2 digits. The traditional measurement is acre. One acre is defined as one chain by one furlong and was thought as the area one man could plough with an ox in one day. There is 640 acres in one square mile.

Same with the population of cities which changes by the hour.

" The Cardinal’s real name is Gyles Lardye, who is one of
the 20 councilmen in the council of Vadrifell. "

Unless the Cardinal has a fake name, I don't see the need for the "real" adjective.
As written, it's "the Cardinal's real name" who is on the council.

So, "The Cardinal's name is Gyles Lardye. Lardye is one of the 20 councilmen of Vadrifell." would be better.

"On the surface, the order masks as a thieves guild, and not all thieves are initiated."

Hmm. Order is usually a name for a religious organization. The "orders" refers to religious vows that member have to take. Also "The Order of the Shield and Ring" is a really weird name for a thief guild since thieves cannot use shields of any kind.

An alternate name could be something like "The Society of the Ring and Rondel" where Rondel is type of dagger or "The Guild of the Cloak and Ring" or something similar.