Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seppo

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG – Finnish translation

Post by Seppo »

OK, thanks! Glad I got there eventually. :)
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Hi again! I now have a semi-decent draft of the whole text ready, but I have a few more questions:

Page 56: "A successful hit inflicts 1d8 points of damage, and the victim becomes entangled, suffering an additional 1d8 points of damage thereafter." Just to be sure: on the first round, the victim takes the 1d8 from the hit (but no damage from entanglement), and on subsequent rounds the 1d8 from entanglement, right?

Page 62: "In order to remain silent, they must wear only leather or hide armor, as indicated in the Armor Class scores above." Does "as indicated" here mean that any bugbear who wants to remain silent must accept the secondary (parenthetical) AC of 13?

Page 114: "Sea serpents are, obviously, serpentine monsters which live in the sea. They range from 20' to 40' long. A sea serpent can choose to wrap around a ship and constrict; in this case, roll 2d10 for damage." 2d10 per round or 2d10 as a one-off?

Page 131: The difference between a "buckle" and a "clasp" (in the jewelry table) is a tough one for a translator. Would you say that a buckle looks something like this

https://www.finna.fi/Record/musketti.M0 ... :23?lng=sv

whereas a clasp looks something like this (the lower photo)?

http://kalevalakoru.nemein.net/korut/im ... solki-135/

Page 132: What exactly does "Enchanted" (in the Special Enemies table) encompass? Creatures that are magical in nature and cannot be hit with a non-magical weapon?

Page 142: "If detected by onlookers, the wearer can be attacked without significant penalty." I.e. without any penalty at all?

Edit: One more thing – does the "ur" in urgoblin imply 'original, primeval', or is it a vague reference to Uruk-hai? Or is it just meant to be anyone's guess?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Seppo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 am Hi again! I now have a semi-decent draft of the whole text ready, but I have a few more questions:

Page 56: "A successful hit inflicts 1d8 points of damage, and the victim becomes entangled, suffering an additional 1d8 points of damage thereafter." Just to be sure: on the first round, the victim takes the 1d8 from the hit (but no damage from entanglement), and on subsequent rounds the 1d8 from entanglement, right?
Correct.
Seppo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 amPage 62: "In order to remain silent, they must wear only leather or hide armor, as indicated in the Armor Class scores above." Does "as indicated" here mean that any bugbear who wants to remain silent must accept the secondary (parenthetical) AC of 13?
No. The armor class given as primary is with "light" armor, the secondary without armor. It's possible to armor bugbears more heavily but they lose their silence.
Seppo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 am Page 114: "Sea serpents are, obviously, serpentine monsters which live in the sea. They range from 20' to 40' long. A sea serpent can choose to wrap around a ship and constrict; in this case, roll 2d10 for damage." 2d10 per round or 2d10 as a one-off?
Left to the GM to decide; your text should not indicate either way wherever my text does not.
Seppo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 am Page 131: The difference between a "buckle" and a "clasp" (in the jewelry table) is a tough one for a translator. Would you say that a buckle looks something like this

https://www.finna.fi/Record/musketti.M0 ... :23?lng=sv

whereas a clasp looks something like this (the lower photo)?

http://kalevalakoru.nemein.net/korut/im ... solki-135/
Yes, more or less. A buckle engages with the belt/strap material, a clasp engages with itself (metal on leather vs. metal on metal). However, do whatever seems most natural in the target language.
Seppo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 amPage 132: What exactly does "Enchanted" (in the Special Enemies table) encompass? Creatures that are magical in nature and cannot be hit with a non-magical weapon?
Generally, monsters that are summoned, as well as various automatons or golems. However, it's left vague specifically to allow the GM to decide.
Seppo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 amPage 142: "If detected by onlookers, the wearer can be attacked without significant penalty." I.e. without any penalty at all?
Yeah.
Seppo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 am Edit: One more thing – does the "ur" in urgoblin imply 'original, primeval', or is it a vague reference to Uruk-hai? Or is it just meant to be anyone's guess?
It sounded cool.

:D

I was thinking of the ur-viles from the Thomas Covenant books when I named them. There, the prefix seems to indicate "superior" and that's what I was going for.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

Great, thanks again!

I need to do one more pass on the text (God knows when I'll have the time, though) and take a look at the index, but I can PM you the current draft if you want to see what I've done with it (I managed to stick to the original layout apart from, obviously, spells and monsters; those two parts spilled over to the next page).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Definitely send me what you have now. If you'll send me an email at solomoriah@basicfantasy.org, I'll give you access to a Dropbox folder where you can upload it.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

There should be stuff in the Dropbox folder.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks. I'll sweep them into my working tree, out of the Dropbox. I saw your notes, and will hopefully be able to get back to you about your questions in detail, but here are some notes:

Regarding units conversions, go ahead as you indicate. I'll deal with art issues in final layout, someday... I'm really slow at this, I'm afraid. The alphabetical index is not required, and would not exist if someone else hadn't done it... handle it however you wish.
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

OK! Take your time, as will I.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Seppo, thank you for continuing to work on this. Still always amazes me to see the continued translation efforts for this game. 8-)
Seppo

Post by Seppo »

No problem! And it still amazes me that probably the best retroclone out there is freely available for anyone to use in all kinds of ways.