Runesmith Class

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Meavar

Runesmith Class

Post by Meavar »

Hi everyone,

I am new here, so I might post it in the wrong spot, or made another mistake if so, please tell me.

I am joining a BFRPG soon and wanted to play a runesmith.
The DM has graciously allowed me to make my own class and I wanted some input from the people who have a lot more experience with BFRPG then I have.
Feel free to comment on content, spelling errors and other mistakes.

Runesmith:
Runesmith.docx
(18.14 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Runesmith Class

Post by Solomoriah »

Interesting idea. I'm not sure why they are a Cleric subclass though... can you elaborate on that decision?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Maybe it comes from the viking era, where runecasters prayed to Odin, the god that learned the secret of the runes and gave to humans

Or maybe because runes and dwarves tend to go together in some fantasy depictions, and dwarves not being able to be magic users makes cleric the only possible choice

I personally would see a take on runes outside of the individual rune type, that is, the classic one rune per spell or power

As per the class, it needs more "clerical feeling", it would't be wrong to make a magic user with fighting skill and HD like a cleric, but the use of armor should really be balanced...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Meavar

Post by Meavar »

First of thank you both for replying.

Partly because I mostly played 3.5 and runecasting was a divine privilege. And because dwarves and armour to me are really are connected to runecasting both which would be going against a magic user.
Your argument about runecasters and their roots in viking culture where it is more oriented to the gods probably subconsciously also influenced me.

I do agree it loses some of the cleric aspects, as a runesmith is less god oriented then a cleric. I agree in that sense it might be better to go more like a mage. Although I think from a rules not lore perspective the cleric makes more sense. The lack of many of the magic users big spells make a cleric chassis not really overpowered. Like a cleric it mostly related to buff spells and some debuffs, but it lacks a lot of the utility, aoe, damage and crowd control aspects of the magic user.

In my mind the strength necessary for smithing also means slightly more hit points and skill with hammers leans more to the cleric. Finally to me when I envision a runesmith I think of someone either working in a forge where they would obviously not always wear armour, but as an adventurer or in a war I see runesmiths (often dwarves) in armour with a big hammer, that seems much closer to the cleric than the magic user. As the spells are also mostly buffs with some utility things like light which are often added to magic items means that in combat I think it will usually either be a buff or a normal attack like the cleric. And a Magic user in BF (with some exceptions) to me should rarely want to wade into melee, while a runesmith should have no problems with hammering (some sigil) into the enemy in melee.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

When creating classes, don't choose the base class based on the new class' equipment, HD or BAB, choose it based on its focus and idea.

I see 4 options:
1-The Runesmith is a sub-cleric, it channels divine energy to power its runes and has a clerical disposition and special abilities
2-Its a Magic User, but instead of prepare spells, it can create runes that contains them
3-Its a separated class, it focus on a combination of forging and runemaking
4-Its a quasi-class, something than anyone can learn

For options 1-3 its ok to give him a d6 hit die and cleric's BAB, even if he is a magic user, same for armor, and you can create a list of spell taking the ones that better fit from the MU's and Cleric's lists
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
dickinsonron

Post by dickinsonron »

This is due in no small part to the fact that most of my gaming experience is with version 3.5, where runecasting was seen as a holy art. In addition, I believe that dwarves and armor are intrinsically linked to runecasting, both of which would work against a mage.
You may not have realized it, but your claim that runecasters have their roots in the more religious Viking society may have affected me.

A runesmith is less god-oriented than a cleric, so I can see how it might take away from some of the cleric trappings. I can see how taking a more mage-like approach could be beneficial. Nonetheless, the cleric seems like the more reasonable choice, from a rules rather than lore point of view. Due to the lack of access to powerful spells, a cleric chassis is not overpowered. Although it shares similarities with the cleric in that it focuses on healing and protection, this class lacks the utility, area of effect (aoe), damage, and crowd management of the magic user.