Prodigies: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Hackworthy

Prodigies: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Hackworthy »

I had a little idea I've been brainstorming for a bit. It has, as yet, received no real play-testing and it's my first time submitting anything to you guys so hopefully formatting and stuff is right. I wanted to make a class that was inspired to some extent by the innate caster classes of later editions of DnD (Bards, Sorcerers, Favored Souls, etc). The source of this innate magic is very vaguely defined leaving it to the GM and player to decide for themselves where it comes from. My hope for this class, once it's been properly calibrated, is to provide a class which is extremely versatile and interesting to play but which is carefully balanced with the 4 base classes. I'd like to get some feedback on this because I can't really tell if it's too powerful or not powerful enough. I intend to do some play-testing when I have the time. One of my main concerns right now is the progression, especially in terms of XP. As it stands the class uses the Magic-User XP progression, saves and AB. I'm not sure if that is appropriate but that's what I've done for now. Please, take a look.

I cut some flavor justifying their low hit die and explaining how people who manifest magical abilities as children would be dealt with in most societies. I also had an addendum about how the this class interacts with the 0-Level Spells and New Spells supplements. It caused there to be a second page with just one paragraph and that just looks bad to me. Not sure what to do about that.
Attachments
BF-Prodigy Supplement-R1.odt
(31.61 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Hackworthy

Re: Prodigies: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Hackworthy »

After some testing I found them to be a little too strong, mainly at lower levels. I'm not sure why I thought it would be a good idea for them to have two spells at level 1 but it has been reduced to one. I also took away their ability to use wands, in addition to their prior inability to use scrolls. I also replaced the anachronistic use of the word "modifier" with the appropriate "ability bonus". Here is Release 2.
Attachments
BF-Prodigy Supplement-R2.odt
(31.19 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Normally when someones uploads a new version it does by replacing the old version on the first post and making a note about such a replace.

If I'm reading the rules correctly the class can cast say at 20th level 10+Cha level 5 spells? I know a 20th level MU can cast 27 spells but only 4 of those can be of 5th level.

I would use either the existing Sorcerer supplement or the Fey Mage one as a base for this class
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hackworthy

Post by Hackworthy »

You're kidding me. I didn't see a sorcerer supplement in the showcase. That's why I was working on this. Is it actually called Sorcerer or something else?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/