Boosted Classes

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
toddlyons

Re: Boosted Classes

Post by toddlyons »

This is like the series CptClyde is doing on YouTube. There was a clockmaker, a gutter cleaner, etc. It was really intriguing to watch that process, and see who managed to survive the initial adventuring in order to graduate up from commoner to an actual adventurer class.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

There is indeed something magical about watching fictional characters start from nothing and watch the progress as they grow into mighty heroes. Also makes it more heartbreaking when if they die lol. No other game has caused me to have to call a break in the middle of a session to just sit quietly and process through the loss.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... xPXOrFlSQk
Brimstone

Post by Brimstone »

PendragonTX wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 pm What I've been doing for years, both for starter-levels, and for inserting PCs into existing higher level games, is this: pick an appropriate level, give them all they should have at that level including appropriate magic and unspent loot. Do NOT give them any xps. They are, so to speak, "buying on credit". They earn xps normally, eventually catch up, and take a pass on magic until they are caught up.
It reduces the "massacre rating", while making sure the players feel they have *earned* everything.
Quick question? How does Multi-Classing work doing this? Or do you allow players to Multi-Class?
Hexamer47

Post by Hexamer47 »

I like this concept, but the difference in xp cost to level up makes no sense to me. I don't understand why the Cleric gets such lower xp costs to level up compared to the other classes. Or am I missing something?
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Hexamer47 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 am I like this concept, but the difference in xp cost to level up makes no sense to me. I don't understand why the Cleric gets such lower xp costs to level up compared to the other classes. Or am I missing something?

The fact that clerics don't get spells until 2nd level is a sore spot for some players. The poor level 1 cleric has to hunt around for skeletons to turn just to feel useful. 😉 But in this supplement they do get a couple spells at 1st level in addition to an even lower xp requirement. I'd have to test it out, but it seems like the cleric gets a real turbo boost here!

This is an interesting supplement... I had missed it. I've tinkered with other ways of helping those level 1 clerics out, but this is a more comprehensive approach.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Hexamer47 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 am I like this concept, but the difference in xp cost to level up makes no sense to me. I don't understand why the Cleric gets such lower xp costs to level up compared to the other classes. Or am I missing something?
Every level 1 starts with the equivalent of a 5000XP character, level 2 is the equivalent to the next level but minus those free 5K:

Fighter + 5000XP = 3rd level, next level = 8000XP - 5000XP = 3000XP to level 2.
Magic User + 5000XP = 2nd level, next level = 10000XP - 5000XP = 5000XP to level 2.
Cleric + 5000XP = 3rd level, next level = 6000XP - 5000XP = 1000XP to level 2.
Thief + 5000XP = 4th level, next level = 10000XP - 5000XP = 5000XP to level 2.

After level 2 instead of just using the standard values with the 5k reduction I choose to use the standard progression (double XP until level 9, fixed value after).
If XP progress gives problems you can use the following one:
Fighter, Cleric = Current Level + 2 Levels - 5000XP.
Magic-User = Current Level + 1 Levels - 5000XP.
Thief = Current Level + 3 Levels - 5000XP.
Bumblepig wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:08 am But in this supplement they do get a couple spells at 1st level in addition to an even lower xp requirement. I'd have to test it out, but it seems like the cleric gets a real turbo boost here!
They get a couple of extra benefits to ;)

BTW, I caught some errors (none mechanical) so I've uploaded r2 with some extra edits on the format .
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hexamer47

Post by Hexamer47 »

Thanks for the clarification, Dimirag!