Ruined Gates of Varos

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: Ruined Gates of Varos

Post by AlMan »

Why not go to places that are similar level in the books we have out already? Basic Fantasy Adventure Anthology 1 has Merilla”s Magic Tower, The Zombraire’s Estate, Deathcrypt of Khaldhun, The Vault of Thaire, The Slaver’s Fortress, The Lost Tome. Basic Fantasy Adventure Anthology2 has The Dungeon of Kyros, The Tomb of Threy, Beneath the Temple of the Moon, Tomb of the Mummy Priest, The Temple of Bones, The Temple at Hillman Point, The Raid on Aquila Tower, The Tomb of Thorin Zuse, Wulfric’s Tomb and of course any of the Adventures in Fortress, Tomb and Tower or Strongholds of Sorcery or the Temple Complexes in Monkey Island. Also look at Castle by the Sea.

And of course there are the unpublished works like Adventure Anthology 3 and The Dark Temple or even The Lost Pyramid that could provide even more locations to be transported to.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah... okay, I see it now. What we need is two different versions of the book. One would be described as Al does above, namely that it connects to several of our preexisting adventures of an appropriate level. The other would be something more ordinary, a spellbook perhaps, or even a "book of scrolls" where each page would cast some spell once. The main thing is not to tie the GM's hands.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

I like that idea. I like that idea A LOT. If you use a lot of the BFRPG material, here is option 1. If you are only using this, here is option 2. That sounds great.
Seven

Post by Seven »

There's some sort of dragon variant in the library and we could use some of the skeleton variants in the 4 tombstone room.
There's definitively some sort of spider.
And maybe a few trolls if that's part of the back story.
Sometimes, all you need if a piece of one troll.
Maybe a jar of troll parts on a shaky library shelf?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ooh... a troll, chopped up and put into a bunch of large glass jars full of formaldehyde. If the jars are broken (say, by a weak shelf as you say), the troll can reform in a few rounds.

Need a second distraction for that one to give the troll time to get upright.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I uploaded R2 to the first post, with many of the things we've talked about including a start on the book (at the end of the module). Lots of descriptions left to write there, and I need to look over BF3 and JN2 and break up the entries for them.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:43 pm Need a second distraction for that one to give the troll time to get upright.
Make the jars to fall into a batch of liquid that starts to boil and create a dense mist, characters won't be able to see the troll reforming inside the batch until its to late.

Room 4 may contain a gellybone or a crimson bones skeleton or other "non-standard" undead.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:46 pm I uploaded R2 to the first post, with many of the things we've talked about including a start on the book (at the end of the module). Lots of descriptions left to write there, and I need to look over BF3 and JN2 and break up the entries for them.
For JN2 the adventures marked with an 'R' are what I was thinking see page 18 to 32.

As for undead, don't forget the Bone Horrors, Blade Spirits, Cadavers, Crypt Dwellers, Draugr, Gibbering Mouther, Headless Horseman, Heucova, Mohrg, Haunted Bones, Lich, Leaded Skeletons, Pitch Skeletons, Flesh Eater Zombies and Leper Zombies in Field Guide 1. Black Knight, Bloodshroud, Deadringer/Resonateds, Grave Dancers, Grave Sentinel, Dread Horseman/Hell Steed in Field Guide 2; and Diseased Skeletons in Field Guide 3.

As well as the Gellybones and Crimson Bones that have already been mentioned.
Francisco-art

Post by Francisco-art »

There is some great and wonderfully entertaining writing happening here! I really love that everybody is pitching in and bouncing ideas! You guys rock!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Dimirag wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:52 pm
Make the jars to fall into a batch of liquid that starts to boil and create a dense mist, characters won't be able to see the troll reforming inside the batch until its to late.
Of some of the other jars have chemicals that will produce a choking mist.