Ruined Gates of Varos

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Ruined Gates of Varos

Post by Solomoriah »

Over in his thread in Artwork, Francisco-art shared this excellent map:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3611&start=100#p75544

It was suggested by rredmond that we stock this dungeon as a collaborative project, and I'm absolutely cool with that. To start with, let's post room ideas in this thread; if enough material, um, materializes, Chi or I will put it in standard format and upload it here for the usual submission and revision process.

In other words... jump in!
Attachments
Ruined-Gates-of-Varos-r5.pdf
(4.36 MiB) Downloaded 134 times
Ruined-Gates-of-Varos-r5.odt
(4.45 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Re: Francisco's Dungeon Project

Post by daryen »

Well, lessee. What level should this be for? Around fifth would be cool, but it could be as high as you want. However, with the amount of traps involved, and with several dangers before a party would be able to retreat, I can't see it being any lower.

While a lich is probably too powerful, I think the Big Bad should be some kind of intelligent skeleton based on that big guy in the top center.

Also, the various rooms seem a bit disjoint. Is there a "theme" to this, or is an old temple ruins (or whatever) that has individual pieces taken over by different elements that mostly ignore each other? Doing that would help with the distributed work.

That mushroom forest (18) looks like it could be pretty cool!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Levels 4 to 6 would be good, and 4 to 6 player characters would be ideal I'd think.

"Some kind of intelligent skeleton" would generally be a skeletaire in BFRPG.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

This map is beautiful. Loving the idea of a collaborative project.
daryen wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:41 pm . . .
While a lich is probably too powerful, I think the Big Bad should be some kind of intelligent skeleton based on that big guy in the top center.

. . .

That mushroom forest (18) looks like it could be pretty cool!
I second the intelligent skeleton or similar undead and the mushroom forest.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

I could think of Number 15 as more of a room in which there is a vision of some humanoid individual. Possibly this secret door is magically fixated to look like apart of the wall, but further investigation you see the room within. Perhaps the place was a resting spot of the vision on the water and much of the individual's intention is help anyone of good intention? Possibly someone that has been here with the big bad guy being an old enemy from that time.
Seven

Post by Seven »

A magic sword, a magic spiked mace, a magic helmet and a magic book.
Could be part of something special or could be loot for everyone.

I see the treasure room being in 14 where the skeletal king sits on his throne.
He might not be the only thing to fight there since there are a couple of coffins there as well. So maybe it's more a tomb than a temple.

The entrance to 14 is some sort of giant head. So maybe a puzzle needs to be solved to enter or some items need to be collected. That would provide a reason for venturing inside the mushroom forest and climbing into the giant spider lair.

1. Entrance. Double doors. Enough wall space for a mural depicting the wealth of the deceased and some clues. Doors are probably locked. Breaking them down might bring out something nasty, something from the outside, not otherwise encountered. The spear trap is a pressure trap. It can be detect but not disarmed, unless someone covers the floor with something thick enough to jam or entangle the spears.

2. A room with 4 statues. Clues? Obstacles? Monsters?
Maybe those 4 statues could be the destination for the book/morningstar/sword/helm. When those items are placed on the satues the demoniac door opens wide to the throne room.

3. Corridor. The trap is difficult to detect and open when the door is touched. It could be that the door and trap are connected and open together. If only one person tries too open the door, he can't move it. If 2 people are standing on the trap the door can be opened easily. If 3 or more are standing on the trap it slams open.

4. Holding cells and torture rack. Strange things to have in a tomb. Something important could be hidden here. Maybe enemies of the diseased were tortured and left to rot in the cells. Likely no treasure from the captives and the remains are too old for Speak with Dead opportunities. Another mural could be there to taunt the captives maybe with how to open room 14. Maybe wraiths?
Last edited by Seven on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:55 pm...if enough material, um, materializes...
I dig collaborative efforts!
Ah, the torture chamber in room 4 is interesting, and room 6 is ripe for a flying creature - plus is that a green devil face as an exit from 6? :twisted:

So 4-6 PCs with 4-6 levels each. BBEG is a skeletaire?
Should we start claiming rooms and go it? Who wants to create the BBEG, and where would it be? Room 14 is an obvious spot, but it's also good for a fake BBEG lair, 13 or even 19 might also work.

ETA: Ninja'd by Seven :) - I want to be a part of this, but I'll do it however everyone would like to. Being a part of a couple collaborative projects in the past, usually we defined the BBEG and then people claimed rooms, with a project manager giving nudges (aka badgering) to remind folks to get in their entries. :D
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Seven

Post by Seven »

5. A library. The book is probably here. 2 bonfires burning mysteriously. Some kind of guardian. Looks like some sort of dragon spirit. Fire and books don't mix. Could be some scrolls here. Some historical records. Maybe religious text. Hard to bring religion in generic dungeons.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Remember that you can scale the skeletaire's power however you want. Don't feel that the printed stats are any kind of limit.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Just brainstorming. :)