Dimirag's Fighter Options

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Fighter Options

Post by Dimirag »

TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Increased Hit Points - one other valid option would be a d8+2, I think it’s the only one missing there that’s obvious. Another method for increased Hit Points would be doubling the bonus of Constitution for the fighter’s health, this would allow them to have these benefits without changing the dice. I know that may be too much if you have an 18… but then again, when do you ever have 18?)
That why the box with "other" exist, as there are many different rolls that can be added, I choose just a few. d8+2 seemed to high compared to the standard rules to me.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Fast Healing - need clarification, so do they double the amount Of HP they heal as in 2 instead of 1 the others normally get during rest or does this also apply to magical healing and stuff?
I would double any type of healing, but its left up to a GM choice.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Damage Die Increase - Not much to add except for maybe 2d6 instead of a d12 as that die is almost never used in BF.
2d6 makes a bell roll, I prefer to keep it straight, plus I like the d12 and this gives a place for roll it.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Damage Bonus - At later levels I would maybe make the damage bonus have a die in there too? A d2+3 for levels 10-14 and a d4+3 for levels 15-20? keeps it random and players love throwing dice!
Same as above, I prefer to keep it simple and straight.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Armor Class Bonus - +5 AC is super strong to be honest, that would make some fighters with the right dex and armor impossible to hit. I’d advise maybe this Armor class bonus be more conditional, like the fighter has certain amount of times they can increase their AC in response to a hit and they can only do so a number of times before having to rest and get this ability back. Flat AC bonus is a pretty strong option.
Its not a constant bonus as it depends on the fighter being able to defend and the type of attack and equipment.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Weapon Focus - I’d make it more general, like type of weapon. This way the fighter actually feels like a professional instead of a hobbyist. Add an option for the DM to check mark: Instead of choosing a single weapon, the fighter uses a “type” for their weapon focus, be it all swords, all bows, all polearm and etc.
The character can chose to focus on several different weapons, making it able to focus on more than one group may make the fighter too strong.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Level Based - 12th level is soooo far away, I’d give it to them on the 6th or 7th, otherwise the impact in the game will not be felt at all.
It should be 10th level, sames as 4 ranks with Weapon Specialization and the option of no 3/2 attacks.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Penalty Based - again, I’d lower it to 3 points, not 4.
4 points makes that a 5-6 level fighter can attack with a +0AB, similar to a 6th level fighter on the d20 system.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Attack Roll Based - awesome option as well, I’d make it 5 or higher and give it an ability if it’s something crazy like a +15, they get another attack.
A +4 AC is the same as a -4AB ;)
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Hit Die Based - cool mechanic, not sure why it works this way though.
Its a throwback mechanic, in some iterations of the original game a 4th level fighter gets extra attack against 1hd or lower creatures, I reduced the amount of attacks but increased the target's HD.
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Combat Points - like the idea, I think this can be developed into its own class actually. If you are interested in that, I can throw around ideas.
Other uses of Combat Points are possible and up to the GM, It can be used as a mechanic for a sub-class, but it should be "worst" in some aspects than this "core option".
TrickyNikki wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:49 am Openings - another clever way to make a fighter viable in a given situation, though I think imitative is a bit nonsensical here as an option.
"The opening selected last until the next round or next roll, whatever comes first."
The initiative bonus is helpful as it affects your initiative on the next round.

I've uploaded r4 with tiny changes.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

This is a rad supplement. It feels like Fighters could use a little something something. What do you think about adding a “cleave” option to to your doc? And perhaps the ability for Fighters to crit on a 20?

I was racking my brain this week over how I’d like to boost Fighters in my game, and decided to veer away from weapon specialty so as not to box the player in. I even had a whole elaborate 10 part weapon ranking system set up that would involve diminishing returns but scrapped it.

What I settled on instead is the “double attacks at level 10” from this, bonus damage equal to half the Fighter’s AB (rounded down), and 1 cleave per round (extra attack if the Fighter kills something). Toying with the idea of giving them crits on a 20, but don’t wanna add too much either.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Blorpy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:52 pm What do you think about adding a “cleave” option to to your doc?
Cleave was suggested to be on the Combat Option Supplement, but it seems it was discarded or overlooked. I didn't choose it because it deals with available movement and I feel that as the opponents become tougher it would appear less and less.
Blorpy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:52 pm And perhaps the ability for Fighters to crit on a 20?
This option already exist on the Combat Options Supplement which applies to every character, I didn't wanted to repeat it on this supplement and make it focused on fighters, nor I wanted to add either a rule for non-fighters or have to refer to other supplement.
I prefer criticals to be something that can happen to all characters and that each GM use their own critical system.
You can use it if you want, I would use it for any character but Fighters would get a better range, something like:
19-20 At level 1
18-20 At level 9
17-20 At level 15
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Dimirag wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:25 am This option already exist on the Combat Options Supplement which applies to every character, I didn't wanted to repeat it on this supplement and make it focused on fighters, nor I wanted to add either a rule for non-fighters or have to refer to other supplement.
I prefer criticals to be something that can happen to all characters and that each GM use their own critical system.
You can use it if you want, I would use it for any character but Fighters would get a better range, something like:
19-20 At level 1
18-20 At level 9
17-20 At level 15
I do currently employ something similar to the critical hits system from the Combat Options supplement, which is as you say ‘available to all characters’; however, one important distinction between that and what I’m proposing is that, while that system uses “critical threat” (meaning that a crit on a 20 is not always a sure thing), I’m proposing that the Fighter could crit on a straight 20, no critical threat involved.

This would be make for a powerful ability indeed, though I understand your reticence about muddying the water between the two.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cleave was not overlooked. I don't want it in the supplement. Combat Options contains features meant to advance the game to about the late 1E era at most; cleave is a 3E-era feature. I always try to maintain both limited scope and minimum complexity, and unfortunately almost no 3E-era features meet those requirements (nor do most 2E-era additions).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

R5 is up, minor changes:
- Correction on some proofreading.
- Reordered the options for better layout.
- Added an option for non-fighters.
- Removed the "he or she" formatting.
- Changed into the CC licensing.
- Changed file name to actual supplement name :D
Boggo

Re: Dimirag's Fighter Options

Post by Boggo »

You may want to give an example of how Openings are supposed to be triggered, because I can't figure it out from that description.

does that mean a 6th level fighter gets an opening if they roll a 19 and their opponent rolls a 2? or do they get one on a 19 or 20 and if the opponent rolls a 1 or 2? it also only sounds like it matters what the fighter rolls, I'm extrapolating the opponents roll mattering from the table and the fact it's called Openings
No matter where you go...there you are
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Uploaded a new r5, have to delete the old showcase as it seems that using "Dimirag's" on the title brake it hard.

Forgot to put the die range on the table, higher level means more chances on the die, and clarified that an opening can happen both on the fighter attack or on attacks made by an opponent.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

thats much clearer, though I think it would be a more accurate representation if the fighters AND the opponents roll needed to meet the criteria, depends on how frequent you want it to be I suppose, also the results, I think you have a typo in retreat, I'm assuming thats a +4 to AC?

Something that might make another option for attack bonus, what if fighter AB increased at the same rate as Monsters? that will get them powering up faster without the big jump at level 1 (thinking more as having that as an additional option for AB rather than changing the one you have already)
No matter where you go...there you are
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Boggo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:27 pm thats much clearer, though I think it would be a more accurate representation if the fighters AND the opponents roll needed to meet the criteria, depends on how frequent you want it to be I suppose,
The way I made it is so a "good" roll on the fighter side or a "bad" roll on the opposing side work similar to a critical and fumble result.
You can certainly combine both rolls, but will require either opposing rolls or carrying over a roll to the next round, the chances of openings would be much lower, so the benefit should be much stronger than the ones on the supplement.
Boggo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:27 pm I think you have a typo in retreat, I'm assuming thats a +4 to AC?
Aaagh, yes, its supposed to be "AC", I'll correct it, thanks.
Boggo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:27 pm Something that might make another option for attack bonus, what if fighter AB increased at the same rate as Monsters? that will get them powering up faster without the big jump at level 1 (thinking more as having that as an additional option for AB rather than changing the one you have already)
I thought about using a faster AB progression, I discarded the one from the monster so monsters are still more dangerous than fighters. The current option starts with an extra +1 and ends with an extra +2 compared to core rules AB using the monster's AB is faster but ends with the same AB so it falls in line.
I've added it as an sub-option, with another one for fast progression but with a +10AB bonus limit.
Had to, again, delete the showcase and create a new one...