New Class: Wanderer

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: New Class: Wanderer

Post by Dimirag »

Intelligence as an Ability requirement sounds good, either INT or WIS should work depending on how the class acquires its spell abilities, WIS also works for characters that travels a lot.

Leather armor and shield works ok to me.

As for read magic and the spells, I would directly use a slower MU progression to keep it simple, concise and in line with the standard arcane casting method.

Depending on how many spells it can cast, an armored arcane caster should have a high XP progression value.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

The outfit should be something that's comfortable to travel in.
Thus leather is great most of the time--some GM let their players walk in heavy armors during hot summer days. That's where the magical stuff comes in.
However, items or spells that boost armour/evasion/soak damage/etc would probably fit well with the class.
For a loner, focus on summoning and evasion is also better than raw damage.

In a medieval setting, a wanderer could be a beggar, who travels unmolested because he has nothing of value or a wandering knight who has a horse and equipment, along with a squire but who is landless. Then you have the religious pilgrims who don't quite wander but travels to prescribed holy places as dictated by their fate. The wandering mage is less natural. Mage tends to acquire magic items which they prize and leave in safe places.
Olupo

Post by Olupo »

After rethinking your feedback about armor, leather and shield will be the only ones the class can wear. While I like the idea about failing at casting magic spells, I want to keep the class simple. Maybe this an idea for an additional rules supplement "Casting magic spells in armor the class usually cannot wear"[it definitely needs a better name].

Dimirag wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 pm As for read magic and the spells, I would directly use a slower MU progression to keep it simple, concise and in line with the standard arcane casting method.
This might be simpler and better than the my initial take. I will it change it that the class gets at 2nd Level one 1st Level Spellslot. Thereafter every 3 Level new slots will be available. So the Wanderer from 2nd-4th Lvl will have the same spellslots available as a Magic-User of 1st Lvl. From 5th-7th Lvl the Wanderer has as many spellslots as a Magic-User of 2nd Lvl. And so on ...
And "read magic" will be a spell again, and no ability any more.

Dimirag wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 pm Intelligence as an Ability requirement sounds good, either INT or WIS should work depending on how the class acquires its spell abilities, WIS also works for characters that travels a lot.
I will go with WIS, since the Becoming Lost roll is made with WIS-modifier. It will better fit this class.

I'm thinking about creating a spell list for the class. Maybe with cleric and magic-user spells and perhaps some new ones. First I just wanted to use the magic-user spell list, but now I think this not really appropriate. What do you think?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

If you think it will fit and benefit the class, go ahead, other sub-classes have their own spell list including new spells.

If you grant the Wanderer access to both MU & Cleric spells make sure to note how they can learn them as to avoid those other classes to learned cross-class spells.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/