Hexcrawl Procedures Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
greymark

Re: Hexcrawl procedures?

Post by greymark »

AlMan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 am

I know that the last sentence of the same paragraph is “The location of the dice indicate the location and width of the terrain feature.” Might need a little more explanation but, it is a start.
I would suggest there is a layout issue. "Generate Dungeons and Caves" does a much better job of describing the dice drop process. Maybe that section can be reworked to be broader and the "Here There Be Monsters" section can reference that section and Table 7.
Kihu

Post by Kihu »

CptClyde wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:39 pm Welcome Kihu,
Thanks Alman for the update.
I am unsure how to explain further how to "drop dice". It's such a simple concept that it is maybe over analyzed. I created the videos in hopes of clarifying any such explanation short comings.
Your right, the concept is very simple and made complete sense once I watched the video. Thank you for creating the videos, they are helping me learn BFRPG, which is also new to me.

There are probably others like me who will download Hexcrawl and be unfamiliar with the term or the mechanic and end up confused. I think greymark makes a good suggestion to consider altering the layout somehow. When I read it in this order it made more sense and flowed more naturally, to me at least. I also think Solomoria’s encouragement to provide an explanation for the mechanic would benefit new players. A “terms used in this book” type of thing, needn’t be heavy, it could be kind of fun:

Drop dice: This literally means to drop the indicated dice onto the tabletop and use the random location they come to rest as an approximation of the layout of your encounter map. The dice in your hand are terrain features such as as boulders, trees, and bushes and their number value is the size of that feature. That’s not a d4 your about to drop, it’s a tree the fighter is going to hide behind before ambushing that party of orcs!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for sharing the wonderful things you’ve created!
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Kihu wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:43 pm
Drop dice: This literally means to drop the indicated dice onto the tabletop and use the random location they come to rest as an approximation of the layout of your encounter map. The dice in your hand are terrain features such as as boulders, trees, and bushes and their number value is the size of that feature. That’s not a d4 your about to drop, it’s a tree the fighter is going to hide behind before ambushing that party of orcs!
That's a great explanation. I'd never heard the term before and that cleared it up.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Great explanation! Feel free to download the ODT version of the file, make your update, post it back here :)
I may get to it in a few days if no one else does.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Added the explanation put forward by Kihu and credited him at the top of the doc as a contributer.
Newly added explanation of dice drop has been inserted in the "Here there be monsters" section.
new revision r16 posted.

NOTE: At time of upload the previous version (r15) was downloaded 99 times.
spielemusik

Post by spielemusik »

Wow. This has me really excited to try. I read the forum posts after I stumbled on your videos while searching for "3 hex crawl rpg" on YouTube. My son is not old enough yet to play, so it's just me and my 9 year old daughter - who's really into fantasy role playing. Her and I are both learning together. I'm ready as a player to play with a group, but I'm trying to play with my daughter and there's a lot to take in to learn how to gm. I'm not quite ready to run a module with her ( I did consider Gold in the Hills ) so I started writing my own stories for her...it's a lot of work. We're just itching to play. I've read the core rulebook multiple times and am ready to just start getting lost in an adventure. I have the Mythic gm emulator on order and was hoping that could help me and my daughter to start playing without me spending so much time prepping. I already work 12 hour days. Your system seems like a way for me to get started quickly for solo and playing with my daughter. I love the idea of the adventure randomly unfolding for us! I gave the long-winded reply because I wanted to let you know I appreciate the time you put into this - and everybody else who edited. Is this going to be added to the official download section? I've purchased the core rulebook, field guide 1, and 1st anthology. I would buy your hex adventure if it was printed.
spielemusik

Post by spielemusik »

I also love the drop dice mechanic.
spielemusik

Post by spielemusik »

And I forgot to ask, what size dice are you using in your videos? The smaller size seems ideal for the drop dice mechanic.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Thank you for the kind words! Yes my motivation for creating these procedures was having small kids and work and no time to write adventures and get together with people (not to mention I live in rural Canada with no one nearby that even plays). This kind of game is perfect for playing with beginners I find. I hope this can work for you, I am delighted in my heart to hear about you playing with your kids. I love watching Brian Scalise videos of him playing with his family too. Wonderful.
So to answer your questions:
-I do not know if this will ever be officially "published" as I'm not sure it meets some criteria and standards of the BFRPG line of products. But I continue to use this for my own games and can certainly answer any questions.
-The smaller dice I use in the videos were indeed bought specifically for use as "drop dice" since they take up less space. They are called "Halfling haversack" and can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/Wiz-Dice-Halflin ... B07BWK7HVB

I wish I could find some time to run you through some hexcrawl adventures myself online sometime. In the coming months I will have more free time.
ALSO: If you wish to contribute to editing this document please feel free to post your changed version of the doc here and I can vet and upload. It is really great to get the perspective of new players on these rules so I can make the explanations easier to understand.
spielemusik

Post by spielemusik »

Thanks for the link for the dice. Please keep me in mind when you do have time eventually to play. I'm looking forward to playing with other people. Especially in person when it's safe again. I've wanted to play rpgs since I was a kid in the 80s. I'm finally getting around to it now with my kids. I've played computer rpgs for years and am excited to get busy with some books, pencils, paper and dice and get lost in a world of adventure that's only limited by my imagination. The kids and I started Hero Kids about a year ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they picked up on role-playing and sharing the story. I wanted to put the time into learning a system we could grow into and continue playing as they get older. BFRPG hooked me with it's candid rules and flexibility. I'll be printing your hex adventure supplement for this weekend to play with my daughter. Hopefully my son will wanna join in the fun too.