Monks and Guardians

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Pirate GM13

Re: Monks and Guardians

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Dimirag wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:53 pm Ok, review time!!!
It seems that both classes uses non-orthodox XP and HD progression, something I'm not a fan of...
Monks can cast clerical spells, I assume they do this by praying the same as standard clerics.
Monks require more STR and DEX than WIS, but they are spiritualist/cleric first...
Monks are able to wear full plate armor, but they can't use their special abilities... seems weird to me.
Are they suppose to be able to combine Chi Flow with the other 2 abilities?
Earthen Guard & Light Movement take no time to start working right?
I'm not a fan of double action from Light Movement, I guess lightness = speed, but if they fall they take double damage...
Earthen guard says resistant to damage, what does that mean?

If these abilities are balanced itself and against each other it would be better to not limit them to daily uses.

Guardians are fighters but require less STR than monks... they do not require DEX but they have an ability based on speed and reflex (catch/deflect), they require CHA but they are bodyguards, not leaders or people charmers...

Catch is used as a reaction, what does that means?
I don't think the daily limit on the special abilities are needed, after all they can miss when attempted.
What happen when an opponent whose weapon is catch has its next action before the Guardian do? I guess it can drop the weapon or yank the guardian to its side the same way the guardian may try to do.
"He rolls whatever check the GM decides", do not like this, the are rules for grappling.
When Deflect/Catch is rolled? Before knowing the attack hits? After but before rolling damage?
For knock I would based the limits on weight rather than size.
I can answer some of these :
Monks would be weighed down if wearing plate armor, but they could still wear plate armor. They wouldn't be able to use their abilities because martial arts is about freedom of movement.
I made a mistake in using a Dungeons and Dragons term, reaction. I should have said it can be used when an opponent attacks an ally within 5 feet or the guardian, and not on the guardian's turn.
Daily limits are probably gonna nerd to be taken away then
Guardians require a little more Cha because they kinda strike me as loyal, and I figured that would fit with needing a good Cha score
Light Movement, I will probably change it to say the Monk can move twice its movement speed and still take an action.
Chi Flow can be used in synergy, but usually I think it'll be used on it's own.
I will check the grappling rules then
Monks are the fighter class of the clerics, like Paladin is the Cleric class of the fighter, but your point is valid
Earthen Guard, I took another term from dnd. Basically all damage is halved against it.
Guardians will probably need their requisites changed (again, cause originally they had Dex, Str, and Con)
And the rest I don't have an answer for
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Question : Do all supplements start like this or is it just this one :lol:
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Dimirag wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:25 pm
Dimirag wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:05 am Moved to GD as no material is shared at the moment.
Aaanddd now its back to the Workshop!
I've uploaded a "formatted" version to the first post, with some minor tiny changes.
Alright! Thank you :D!
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Ok, I have made some edits (thanks for the format Dimirag :D ), and I don't know wether to post the revised edition on this post or replace the old ones in the first post? I will post them here for now.
Attachments
BF-Monks and Guardians-r1.odt
Revision 1
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
BF-Monks and Guardians-r1.pdf
Revision 1
(126.49 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Always replace the files on the first post upping the r-#.
Monks would be weighed down if wearing plate armor, but they could still wear plate armor. They wouldn't be able to use their abilities because martial arts is about freedom of movement.
But despite of that, I don't see them being trained in the use of those armors, its not part of a monk's spiritual nor martial training in the same way Thieves and Magic-Users can't use some armors (or any at all).
If they are balanced yes, no need to further balance. Heck, if they are ok they could be "permanent" unless the PC deactivate them.
Guardians require a little more Cha because they kinda strike me as loyal, and I figured that would fit with needing a good Cha score
I see Cha as an aptitude for social expression more than a measure of loyalty, low CHA pcs can be loyal but shy or of rough mannerisms.
Light Movement, I will probably change it to say the Monk can move twice its movement speed and still take an action.
+Increase movement.
+Increase jump distances.
+Reduce fall damage.
+Reduce body weight.
-Falling takes double time.
-Character suffer double damage.
-Blunt damage may knock the pc back.
-Must not be carrying equipment beyond some basic weight.
Earthen Guard, I took another term from dnd. Basically all damage is halved against it.
Earthen Guard should have the higher AC bonus I think, plus:
+Halves any receive damage.
+Halves movement.
-Doubles body weight.
-Init penalty.
-Reduce DEX bonus to a penalty.

The file need your copyright name on top an on the bottom of last page, I did not put any as I do not know how you want to be credited.

HD and XP progression should follow the standard rules.
Standard HD progression is +1 or +2 HP per level starting at level 10, but not a mix of them. Monks could use a +2 per level after 9th (like fighters)
Standard XP progression is double XP at each level (at some levels it can be rounded down) up to level 8, starting at level 9 XP increases by the value of the 8th level.

1d8 for unarmed damage seems a lot for a standard fixed ability.

The rules for Catch and Deflect should be divided (with catch having a lower value or a penalty) for ease of reading.

Earthen Guard: There skin turns to stone. Should be Their skin.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Pirate GM13 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:19 am Question : Do all supplements start like this or is it just this one :lol:
What do you mean? We do have a standard format for supplements... it's maybe a little weird but at least we're consistent.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:08 am
Pirate GM13 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:19 am Question : Do all supplements start like this or is it just this one :lol:
What do you mean? We do have a standard format for supplements... it's maybe a little weird but at least we're consistent.
I meant the actual content : do they always have to be edited so much or is it just my wacky ideas?
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Dimirag wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:06 am Always replace the files on the first post upping the r-#.
But despite of that, I don't see them being trained in the use of those armors, its not part of a monk's spiritual nor martial training in the same way Thieves and Magic-Users can't use some armors (or any at all).
If they are balanced yes, no need to further balance. Heck, if they are ok they could be "permanent" unless the PC deactivate them.
I see Cha as an aptitude for social expression more than a measure of loyalty, low CHA pcs can be loyal but shy or of rough mannerisms.
+Increase movement.
+Increase jump distances.
+Reduce fall damage.
+Reduce body weight.
-Falling takes double time.
-Character suffer double damage.
-Blunt damage may knock the pc back.
-Must not be carrying equipment beyond some basic weight.
Earthen Guard should have the higher AC bonus I think, plus:
+Halves any receive damage.
+Halves movement.
-Doubles body weight.
-Init penalty.
-Reduce DEX bonus to a penalty.

The file need your copyright name on top an on the bottom of last page, I did not put any as I do not know how you want to be credited.

HD and XP progression should follow the standard rules.
Standard HD progression is +1 or +2 HP per level starting at level 10, but not a mix of them. Monks could use a +2 per level after 9th (like fighters)
Standard XP progression is double XP at each level (at some levels it can be rounded down) up to level 8, starting at level 9 XP increases by the value of the 8th level.

1d8 for unarmed damage seems a lot for a standard fixed ability.

The rules for Catch and Deflect should be divided (with catch having a lower value or a penalty) for ease of reading.

Earthen Guard: There skin turns to stone. Should be Their skin.
OK. To all of it lol. I guess I could have monks deal 1d6 damage instead. Will fix all the decllion typos, and I will fix the HD and experience. And the Light Movement. And the Earthen Guard. And divide the catch / deflect. I am OK without being credited, I just like making these kinds of things. Monk armor will probably be reduced to light. And I am still thinking about the daily limits thing, though I will probably remove the daily limits or maybe implement something else in.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Pirate GM13 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:37 am
Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:08 am
I meant the actual content : do they always have to be edited so much or is it just my wacky ideas?
Your writings are yours to do with as you wish. Consider all commentary as opinion/suggestions.
At least up until you think you might want it to go "print" one day... then it gets more scrutiny. Until then, your creation is up to you.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, what Smoot said. What you write is your decision, but if you choose to share it with us, you shouldn't be surprised that others may have dissenting opinions. This doesn't mean you need to change anything.

Showcase access is granted to anyone who (1) contributes anything that ends up on the Downloads page, and (2) asks me. This includes appearing in the Contributors or Artwork credits on anything found in the Downloads. If you have Showcase access, the only solid rule is that whatever you share there needs to be "complete" in the sense that there is nothing missing that would be necessary to use the materials; such items don't have to be perfectly finished.

Items bound for Downloads are hand-picked by me, often with input from others on the production team. They must also be "complete" and are subject to editing by us to resolve any issues I see. Authors sometimes leave it all to us, and sometimes choose to be deeply involved, and that's their choice.

But again, you don't have to make any changes to your supplement just because one of us suggested it. Here in the Workshop, it's all up to you.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org