Milestone Advancement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Milestone Advancement

Post by Solomoriah »

Every few days someone asks on Facebook or the Discord server about doing Milestone Advancement with BFRPG. Short answer is, it won't work very well due to the variable advancement rates given in the game. But using "block" XP awards, you can get a similar result. I've written a supplement that I've put on the Showcase giving a method for doing this, and I'd like everyone's opinion on it.

It's "R2" because I wrote a long explanation of my first cut, and then realized it was off the rails. I didn't want to throw the explanation away since I might want to mine it for prose, so I made a new release number.

It's here:
https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=200
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Re: Milestone Advancement

Post by Dimirag »

I like it, its a good solution.

I have an unfinished supplement (one of many) that tried to do this, but I kinda went the complicated way :lol:
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded R3 with a minor correction and a little extra explanation about XP bonuses.

... now I wonder, have I made this unnecessarily complicated?

... watch this space for a different, simpler take on the issue ...
Artanisace

Post by Artanisace »

I was also looking for something like this... Thanks Chris!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. No simpler version.

I had thought that using just the second level numbers for all levels would be a good solution that would simplify the math, but if you do that you end up with two tables instead of one and you lose the exponential effect that quickly brings lower-level replacement characters up close to the higher-level guys. So I'm posting an R4 today with rules limiting how many levels you can advance a replacement character (one) and an example of same.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:44 pm ... now I wonder, have I made this unnecessarily complicated?
I think not, it may be the easiest way of doing it.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:06 am I had thought that using just the second level numbers for all levels would be a good solution that would simplify the math, but if you do that you end up with two tables instead of one and you lose the exponential effect that quickly brings lower-level replacement characters up close to the higher-level guys. So I'm posting an R4 today with rules limiting how many levels you can advance a replacement character (one) and an example of same.
I think the more one simplifies this system, the more complicated it gets in regards to other variants.
I tried changing the XP values into "XP boxes" so a GM simply makes character tick boxes as he sees fit. But the human bonus screw the mechanism, then I tried a "Group Level" format, where the GM levels the group and that in return gives each character their own level, but I gave up...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/