Hex Mapping Symbols

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
borgar

Re: Hex Mapping Symbols

Post by borgar »

Yes, I've given this a couple of attempt. I though the first one might have a bit much details so I tried to make a second slightly simpler variant (and added one with "ground" just because).
palm.png
palm.png (28.45 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
palm2.png
palm2.png (30.44 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
palm2b.png
palm2b.png (29.33 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
BTW, I have these as larger XCF files and dropped them in a new project folder (Art/Symbol) in case those would be a better starting point for resizing etc.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Here are my takes on the three symbols that would need the palm tree images. Thanks for sending the full-sized originals, it made making these easier. I'm also uploading a hex-tile image; the resizing etc. I'm doing is aimed at making the symbols fit inside the white hex without touching the sides, which is necessary for the resulting images to look right when pasted into the hex paper image I uploaded.
Attachments
palmforest-mountains.png
palmforest-mountains.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
palmforest-hills.png
palmforest-hills.png (5.1 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
palmforest.png
palmforest.png (8.86 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
hex-fill.png
hex-fill.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
borgar

Post by borgar »

Looks like there is too much details. I've tried to make another palm and merge with the last large one too make another alternative
palms.png
palms.png (28.74 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
I did use the hex template to scale the size so it should fit well in a hex (though it may still need adjustment to fit with other symbols)

Larger (10x size and multi-layered) XCF version in project folder in case need to use anything from this attempt.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Nice! I'm going to share that one as part of this set; also, I'm sharing one of these slightly reduced in size, since it may still be a bit big.

In general, the symbols need to show white space around them when the hex-fill is dropped in back; however, they also need to not overpower each other when placed side-by-side. Depending on how large the map is reproduced, that last design is either perfect or too big/bold, so offering two sizes will allow the mapper a choice.

Again, thanks! They are a lot better than anything I could do.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Yes, I pretty much thought you might need to scale things a bit. Getting the right sizes of symbols requires looking at them together (possibly in an actual map).

In any case, while I'm already focused on palms I though I should try to add an oasis symbol as well.
oasis.png
oasis.png (11.86 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
XCF in project folder so you can mess around with resizing, placement and scale of the two objects.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ooh, I like that one!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

BTW: Smoot indicated a liking for cities, towns, etc. shown as buildings rather than as dots or stars, and while I personally do not use them, I'm not averse to the idea. Anyone wanting to submit something like that should feel free!

My plan at present is to organize what I have and create a proper zipfile download of the symbols along with the hex paper page I posted originally... eventually, of course. :D
JohnnyFosso

Post by JohnnyFosso »

These look great! How are you guys using them? Copy/pasting the symbols onto a hex paper in Gimp individually or are you making brushes out of them? If you aren't making brushes I can look into it and upload them here for ease of use.
borgar

Post by borgar »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 am BTW: Smoot indicated a liking for cities, towns, etc. shown as buildings rather than as dots or stars, and while I personally do not use them, I'm not averse to the idea. Anyone wanting to submit something like that should feel free!
Funny you should ask for that. I did some experimentation here but haven't figured out what would make a good "base style". I've made one Tower symbol in 3 "styles"
tower_outline.png
tower_outline.png (5.68 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
tower_filled.png
tower_filled.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
tower_filled_heavy.png
tower_filled_heavy.png (6.49 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
I'm sort of worried that the first (outline) version will not "pop" in a map so the filled tower may work better for that reason. The last version is matching the very heavy style used in the Mystara maps.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

All three are acceptable to me.