Recidivist

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
TrickyNikki

Recidivist

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey All, It's good to be back :)

I am working on another class currently, another fighter rendition. This one is more about cunning and dishonorable combat, the type of person who will backstab the enemy and then move away from them if they can. Let me know what you think :)

https://basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=202
Attachments
BF-Recidivist-Supplement-r3.odt
(25.94 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
BF-Recidivist-Supplement-r3.pdf
(220.26 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Last edited by TrickyNikki on Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Seven

Re: Ronins

Post by Seven »

Ronin might not be the right word for your archetype and could be borderline offensive.

A medieval Japan, a ronin was a samurai who lost is master--through no fault of his own. Therefore, an honorable person who had fallen on hard time and become a wanderer, a journeyman.

In contemporary Japan, a ronin is an unemployed man or a student with a high school degree who has not yet been accepted to a university.

I use a thief/fighter hybrid that I call a thug. I use it for most fighters who never became part of a military, militia or guard unit and who trained on their own.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey Seven,

Ah Okay my bad, I didn’t think realise this could be offensive to someone.

I need a new name in that case, if you truly believe someone may be unhappy with the naming convention. Besides thug, which sounds very small and petty, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Here are some new name ideas: Raider, Ravager, Retributor. Last one is pretty unique sounding.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I agree with Seven, the names does not fit with the concept.

If its a character fueled by revenge, maybe Revenger could fit, but the class abilities does not seem directed at revenge.
Maybe something like Darkblade or the like would fit better.

The file header reads "Barbarian".
For some reason in this file also the bold text looks "weird" as if pasted, the same happens with the tables.

Having the Weapon Specialization as an appendix complicates things. It should be integrated with the class special abilities, and it should be modified as to let fighters be better at it. But, with all the other special abilities I don't think it needs specialization, maybe a +1 on attack and damage rolls with one weapon and that's all.

Finally "Kai", seems a weird cross between Ki and Kiai, non of those are representation of negative energies tho..
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Thug sounds small and petty? My thugs are usually beefy characters who wouldn't cut it as thieves.

Maybe reaver? That doesn't really mean anything but it kinda sound good.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I agree with Seven. I also use a Thug class. It is a Thief subclass nerfed a bit on thief abilities but beefier on fighting.
They are a little less flexible with skills, but arguably nearly as hardy as fighters, making them quite useful... definitely not "small and petty". In fact they make great Bandits and Ruffians, and perfect for a thief option for a race that is otherwise barred from standard thief (like 1/2 Ogre).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

To me "Thug" is close to Smoot's interpretation, a sub-thief relying more on muscle and intimidation than on stealth and subterfuge.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
TrickyNikki

Re: Recidivist

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey All, Thank you for all your feedback.

I settled with the name Recidivist [a convicted criminal who reoffends, especially repeatedly.] as I thought it fits the theme better and doesn't have the unfortunate connotations the previous name Ronin presented.

Kai Points have been renamed to Malice Points, to go more in theme with what the class is about.

I reworked the WS situation as I would have done after the release of the class, it was just there for ease of use when it came to editing.

If you have any other points, please let me know :)
Attachments
BF-Recidivist-Supplement-r1.pdf
(243.74 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
BF-Recidivist-Supplement-r1.odt
(27.47 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
SmootRK

Re: Recidivist

Post by SmootRK »

Not sure i can pronounce that. Lol
Never heard of that term.

I do think Malice Points sounds good.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?