Kingdom of Sussary

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Kingdom of Sussary

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks Bumble. I actually agree about the deceased NPCs, but this is an early draft and I was just writing things down as I came to them...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:20 am Thanks Bumble. I actually agree about the deceased NPCs, but this is an early draft and I was just writing things down as I came to them...
Got it.
I'm interested to see how it will turn out.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:54 am Here's a floor plan for the upper level of Uzenhold.
Two of the tower arrow slits seem to be facing the cliff walls.
It seems like you should limit them to 2 overlooking each road.
There's always the option of having one overlooking the fortress itself.
Sounds dumb, but they could be used to monitor the walls.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:50 am
Seven wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:49 amIf it's all stone, the quarry might not be too far.
Roman made mortar from a mixture of lime and volcanic ashes.
You just need combustible for the oven. Maybe coal?
Not sure what you're getting at here. "Roman-quality" just means "very good."
I was mostly suggesting that having an old quarry near by might be convenient as a lair for something. I have an old quarry near my house that was used to build similar buildings a long time ago. People travel far and wide to come drown in it as it's now filled with water and somewhat isolated.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Seven wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 am
Solomoriah wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:54 am Here's a floor plan for the upper level of Uzenhold.
Two of the tower arrow slits seem to be facing the cliff walls.
It seems like you should limit them to 2 overlooking each road.
There's always the option of having one overlooking the fortress itself.
Sounds dumb, but they could be used to monitor the walls.
I'm not sure what you mean by "overlooking the fortress itself" in this situation. The map I shared is the highest floor of the keep proper, but there is another floor to each tower that is above the keep rooftop; I could put arrow slits there to guard against flying opponents, I suppose, but doors seem more logical since I'm planning the flat roof of the main keep to be fortified with ballistae. Atop the towers themselves there will be more rooftop firing positions.
Seven wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 amI was mostly suggesting that having an old quarry near by might be convenient as a lair for something. I have an old quarry near my house that was used to build similar buildings a long time ago. People travel far and wide to come drown in it as it's now filled with water and somewhat isolated.
I haven't written it down yet, but the original pass was a narrow, dangerous way composed of natural ledges, rickety man-made bridges and walkways, and so on. Two centuries ago, as trade with the Odellians became significant, Sussary and Odellia entered into an agreement to improve the pass. From Sussary territory moving northward a crew of workers advanced, cutting the roadway back into the rock walls where it was precarious before. The engineer in charge was in fact a wizard and used rock to mud strategically in the most dangerous or tricky places to assist with removing material. The entire pass was not just one continuous mess of narrow ledges though... there would be valleys, as well as relatively flat-topped rocky areas, and these places were used to pile up material from the road-building. When Uzenhold, then a much smaller structure, was reached, it was torn down and rebuilt to the specifications of the engineer using the stockpiled stone. Sussary's engineer was very proud that he and his workmen arrived at Uzenhold over two weeks before the Odellian crew arrived from the north. As I previously mentioned (I think, anyway), necessary bridges were also built from the stone removed by the roadbuilders.
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

I’ve not come across this one till now. I’ll have a read but I like it based on what I’ve skimmed so far. I also like that it’s in the same universe as Morgansfort (if I understood that correctly).

As an aside, I really love the text font for this. It’s so comfortable to read. Do you have plans to switch to this sans-serif font for all the BFRPG books that use sans-serif? Crossing my fingers that the answer is yes. 😀
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The font is called Adventure BF. Does that answer the question?

:D

We've always had an issue with whether or not we could distribute fonts. I finally decided we needed a sans font under SIL Open Font License, so I found one that was close and I've been hammering on it for days to fix its flaws. Needed a good checkbox, for example, and the numbers in the original font weren't monospace. It's not perfect but I'm still working on it. You can pull the new fonts out of the New Fonts subfolder of Projects; I'm not ready to hand it out to the public yet but feel free to try it out.

Also built a very slightly custom Soutane version. We can't make "derivatives" of it but it was a version 0 font and needed to be version 4; for some reason, the name seemed to cause a problem at that point, so I changed it slightly to indicate that it's the version we're using. Letterforms haven't changed. Soutane is "abandonware" from a company that probably doesn't dare to resume business but has never quite completely gone out of business (just hasn't had a revenue stream in 1.5 to 2.0 decades).

And, I've documented the license status for Aunt Judy and Queen Empress in text files in that folder. Neither of them is customized at all.
gabeprime

Post by gabeprime »

I’m reading that to mean we are changing the sans-serif font to Adventure BF! Yay! 😀

You may or may not know this that I do most of my internet-ing on my phone. The new font is so much more readable on my phone’s smaller screen. This also makes it more readable if I ever print the adventure books as booklets (reducing the page to A5 size). Thanks!
Hi! I’m Gabe.
Forever GM, cleric fan and part-time artist.
My art is on Instagram: @gabefuadraws.
I’m also on Mastodon: @gabrion.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Proposed r5 attached.
Fonts fixed
Corrected monster stat-lines; chimerae XP way off compared to Core Rules
Corrected treasure item naming
Adjusted names on maps (I couldn't read faded out names very well)
Edit: r5 now in first post
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks Chi!

I really need to redo that hex map. It's hard to read. But that will come later.