Hexcrafter: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Thomas Nox

Hexcrafter: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Thomas Nox »

Hi everyone, I am an Italian guy who discovered BFRPG a year ago and I am delighting to create custom classes for myplayers in future sessions.

I would like to share my ideas with you as I am new to the OSR world and I would like my projects to be in line with the game.

Update : The class i created the Hexcrafter, a magic user that obtain particular power called Hexes thanks a contact with stange words or entities. is a defuffer but with some limitation in spells. also cast a curse and evil darts, create poison apples and use hair to block enemies. It will not a efficiet caster but a sort of secondary caster for the party.
it is a quick and superficial explanation, I ask you to take a look at the project

inspirations: this class should allow you to create characters like the evil wizard Yara, a character defeated by Conan in the story "The Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard. . After years of service as a servant the wizard imprisons him for unlimited spells (without he would be weak) .yaga could cast "curses" or "Hexes".
Also in my Country in a city near my town called "Benevento" (sound like GoodWind in english) there is a story of a kind of a sorceress or witch ( in italian "Fattuchiera" which means hex crafter or curse maker) called Janara. I found it nice to follow this folkloric character for the concept of the class.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BF-Hexcrafter -Supplement-en-r6.odt
(788.95 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
BF-Hexcrafter -Supplement-en-r6.pdf
(571.59 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS. I'm doing my best, but although I can read English, I'm not very good at writing. if you find any errors (of any kind, please notify and I will correct the error, thank you very much)
Last edited by Thomas Nox on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Dimirag

Re: A new class

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome to the forum

There is a Warlock subclass on the Showcase, so, change the filename. You might consider adding your own name or initials to it if nothing else. Helps to avoid confusion.

Also, editing the thread name will help people to find your class on a search or by a cursory look.
But just as often they are setsitions of their patrons to induce warlocks to embark on an adventure.
setsitions?

Although they are Clerics due to how they receive their spells, I think they should fight like Magic Users.

Curse: Call it "Warlock's Curse" to differentiate from the effects of a Bestow Curse spell.

The part of "wasting a spell slot" need refinement, and it does not say how long the new available curses last.

Maybe something like:
"By sacrificing a prepared spell a Warlock can cast its Curse more times than normally allowed. Each level of the sacrificed spell bestows 1 extra available Curse. These extra curses must be cast within the hour or be lost."

You can expand this ability with something like:
"The Warlock can use these extra available curses to affect several targets with the same action."

Eldritch Blast: Check the Arcane Blast #1 from the Magic-User Options Supplement
Arcane Bolt #1. In this version, the Arcane Bolt is treated as a normal missile weapon. The player makes a normal combat roll against the target's AC, adding any Intelligence bonus and taking into account the range (10/20/30). The damage is d3. The origin is magic, but
the effect is a form of mundane concussion, so it will not affect creatures who are only affected by magic. However, it will affect inanimate objects
To cast an Eldritch Blast, the Warlock must forfeit his movement during his round.
I guess the attack uses both the movement and attack action, it may be better to clarify that, if that is the case using a higher damage die is not bad but a d6 up to d12 seems to much.
The shortcomings of the list can to be filled thanks to the intervention of the patron who will be able to to offer one or more spell from The Magic User list.
- Remember, it’s always the Game Master decides from which one the list And draw to increase the Warlock's known spells -
When the warlock gain a spell not included in the Warlock's list, he will have to pay the Patron with a special service or with a tribute. Once the spell is added to the list it can no longer change.
"The shortcomings of the list can't be filled thanks to the intervention of the patron who will be able to offer one or more spells from The Magic User list.
- Remember, it’s always the Game Master decides from which one the list And draw to increase the Warlock's known spells -
When the warlock gains a spell not included in the Warlock's list, he will have to pay the Patron with a special service or with a tribute. Once the spell is added to the list it can no longer be changed."

The last part of the OGL should be updated.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Welcome!

I really like that first graphic, but I don't think you can use it, even in Workshop, unless you know it's not copyrighted or the artist has given you permission. At the very least we should be crediting the artist.

If I'm mistaken please someone correct me. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, I'm with bumble here... I don't see any art credits. I need to know it's okay for us to share it on the forum/website, or I'll have to remove it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Thomas Nox

Post by Thomas Nox »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:14 pm Yeah, I'm with bumble here... I don't see any art credits. I need to know it's okay for us to share it on the forum/website, or I'll have to remove it.
I searched google for free use images ... but in fact I am not sure that these specifically are.
for safety I remove (I want to fix some things) and I will go to trusted sites where I know for sure they offer me images for free use without attribution.
thanks for the tip :)

edit: I changed the images not being able to verify the license, now there are new images with cited the source and the license which is free and without attribution ( link in the document)
Last edited by Thomas Nox on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Nox

Post by Thomas Nox »

Dimirag wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:48 pm Welcome to the forum

There is a Warlock subclass on the Showcase, so, change the filename. You might consider adding your own name or initials to it if nothing else. Helps to avoid confusion.

Curse: Call it "Warlock's Curse" to differentiate from the effects of a Bestow Curse spell.

Eldritch Blast: Check the Arcane Blast #1 from the Magic-User Options Supplement
Arcane Bolt #1. In this version, the Arcane Bolt is treated as a normal missile weapon. The player makes a normal combat roll against the target's AC, adding any Intelligence bonus and taking into account the range (10/20/30). The damage is d3. The origin is magic, but
the effect is a form of mundane concussion, so it will not affect creatures who are only affected by magic. However, it will affect inanimate objects
To cast an Eldritch Blast, the Warlock must forfeit his movement during his round.
I guess the attack uses both the movement and attack action, it may be better to clarify that, if that is the case using a higher damage die is not bad but a d6 up to d12 seems to much.
Thanks for the corrections and suggestions,I didn't notice that there was already a subclass warlock in the workshop.
Nevermind.. my idea is to create a Magic user who cursed the targets... as a concept class it is a clutist, a "Hexcrafter" (would that be a name that works?)specifically, this class should allow you to create characters like the evil wizard Yara, a character defeated by Conan in the story "The Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard. in the story Yara had entered into a contract with an Elephant-Man like"alien" called Yag-Hosha ( a Patron). After years of service as a servant the wizard imprisons him for unlimited spells (without he would be weak) .yaga could cast "curses" or "Hexes".

Also in my Country in a city near my town called "Benevento" (sound like GoodWind in english) there is a story of a kind of a sorceress or witch ( in italian "Fattuchiera" which means hex crafter or curse maker) called Janara. I found it nice to follow this folkloric character.

in my language unfortunately the term wizard, sorcerer, and warlock are very little distinguishable, a name would be needed that makes it clear that he is a magic user who casts his personal curses (hexes) on enemies.... so the name Hexcrafter is good?

For the ability "eldritch blast" ( i changed name in shadow bolt ) my idea is that the ability must be an exclusive of the class and must not force the GM to use external rules if it does not want to.
I nerfed it as suggested but it needs to be slightly stronger because the class has a ridiculous number of spell slots, only 5 spell list per Lv and and is also incomplete, to be filled by paying tributes to its Evil master ... I made sure that it is not so different from the 'use a bow and I removed the movement restriction.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Common procedure is to replace the file with its release number up by one, for example: "Warlock-r3" would be replaced by "Warlock-r4"
It seems the pdf file is lacking the corresponding fonts.
Thomas Nox wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 am Thanks for the corrections and suggestions,I didn't notice that there was already a subclass warlock in the workshop.
Its ok if you want it to be called "Warlock", just tinker with the file name to avoid overlapping, the forum has more than one subclass sharing the name.

Hexcrafter is a good name, but I would more "hex options" for the character, maybe a couple of different basic hexes and some more powerful ones requiring sacrificing spells.
Thomas Nox wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 am For the ability "eldritch blast" ( i changed name in shadow bolt ) my idea is that the ability must be an exclusive of the class and must not force the GM to use external rules if it does not want to.
I agree with not having to direct the GM to other rules, just copy what needs to be copied from the other supplement.
The arcane bolt was mostly as a starting point so you can compare it with your take.
Thomas Nox wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 am I nerfed it as suggested but it needs to be slightly stronger because the class has a ridiculous number of spell slots, only 5 spell list per Lv and and is also incomplete, to be filled by paying tributes to its Evil master
Even if the character lacks in some areas, try to not make one special ability too powerful compared with other classes, I still think than doing unlimited 1d6 damage is too high, specially when doing up to 10 points with the special ability.
Furthermore, the number of spells per level are 5 instead of the canonical 8.
Does this and the "???" on the spell list means that the Warlock is limited to 5 spells per level?
As it stands now the "???" seems more spell missing from the writing side.
Magic Users are not limited on the amount of spells they can copy, nor Clerics are limited on how many spells are available to them.
If the idea is to limit the "spell list" then the text needs rephrasing, but I think the class would benefit by simply leaving the 3 spells on each level and letting "acquire" all the spell it can, after all each spell will have a cost.

Finally, on the OGL "Title Here Copyright © 2021 Name Here" needs correction.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Thomas Nox

Post by Thomas Nox »

Dimirag wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:25 am Common procedure is to replace the file with its release number up by one, for example: "Warlock-r3" would be replaced by "Warlock-r4"
It seems the pdf file is lacking the corresponding fonts.
Thomas Nox wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 am Thanks for the corrections and suggestions,I didn't notice that there was already a subclass warlock in the workshop.
Its ok if you want it to be called "Warlock", just tinker with the file name to avoid overlapping, the forum has more than one subclass sharing the name.

Hexcrafter is a good name, but I would more "hex options" for the character, maybe a couple of different basic hexes and some more powerful ones requiring sacrificing spells.
Thomas Nox wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 am For the ability "eldritch blast" ( i changed name in shadow bolt ) my idea is that the ability must be an exclusive of the class and must not force the GM to use external rules if it does not want to.
I agree with not having to direct the GM to other rules, just copy what needs to be copied from the other supplement.
The arcane bolt was mostly as a starting point so you can compare it with your take.
Thomas Nox wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:59 am I nerfed it as suggested but it needs to be slightly stronger because the class has a ridiculous number of spell slots, only 5 spell list per Lv and and is also incomplete, to be filled by paying tributes to its Evil master
Even if the character lacks in some areas, try to not make one special ability too powerful compared with other classes, I still think than doing unlimited 1d6 damage is too high, specially when doing up to 10 points with the special ability.
Furthermore, the number of spells per level are 5 instead of the canonical 8.
Does this and the "???" on the spell list means that the Warlock is limited to 5 spells per level?
As it stands now the "???" seems more spell missing from the writing side.
Magic Users are not limited on the amount of spells they can copy, nor Clerics are limited on how many spells are available to them.
If the idea is to limit the "spell list" then the text needs rephrasing, but I think the class would benefit by simply leaving the 3 spells on each level and letting "acquire" all the spell it can, after all each spell will have a cost.

Finally, on the OGL "Title Here Copyright © 2021 Name Here" needs correction.
OK ok I like the idea of ​​focusing on Hexes, I thought that in an Osr I didn't have to focus much on creating many class abilities but I like the idea and I try to make everything with a sense.
I nerfed the shadow bolt further, it should be fine now.

For the spells slot with"???" the idea was that the caster had to offer tributes (magic items etc) to the patron but now that the class is having another identity I have decided to eliminate this option.

now the Hexcrafter has a list of 4 spells per "Level Hexcrafter Spells" (1 to 5) that casts like a cleric (note the spell slot comes in from the second level and the slots are very few). he will fill the few spells with Hex, his special abilities.

now I will load the updated version of the class.

thank you very much because thanks to your advice I'm having fun creating this class :)
TrickyNikki

Re: Hexcrafter: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey Thomas, cool class!

Could you upload a pdf version too? I can’t seem to open Odt on my IPad, and I wanted to review it over a train ride haha.
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Thomas Nox

Re: Hexcrafter: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Thomas Nox »

TrickyNikki wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:36 pm Hey Thomas, cool class!

Could you upload a pdf version too? I can’t seem to open Odt on my IPad, and I wanted to review it over a train ride haha.
thx a lot!
pdf uploaded :mrgreen: