Character Sheet with Automation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
sean8223

Character Sheet with Automation

Post by sean8223 »

Hi everyone. Attached for your enjoyment is a link to a Google Sheet that automates many aspects of managing a Basic Fantasy character. The sheet supports:

1. All classes and races from the Core Rules, with automatic calculation of ability bonus, saving throws, XP and AC
2. All armor/weapons/equipment from the Core Rules
3. Automatic calculation of encumbrance and movement
4. Automatic calculation of attack bonus, "to hit" and damage rolls for equipped weapons
5. Automatic calculation of Thief skills and Cleric vs. undead rolls
6. All Cleric and Magic User spell lists from the Core Rules

You can access the file at this URL: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Once you're there, select "Make a Copy" from the File menu to save it to your account. The sheet is available to anyone with the link and can be downloaded in .xlsx or .ods format if you don't care to use Google Sheets. I have attached a copy of the latter format to this post for reference.

Usage of the sheet should hopefully be self-explanatory -- blue cells are for values entered by the player; green/black are automatically calculated and should not be modified. If your character is a Magic User, Thief or Cleric (or a Combination Class), expand columns AR, BC and/or BN to see additional features for that class.

Note that the sheet is primarily intended to be assistive. It is entirely possible to create invalid combinations of race/class/ability/equipment, so double check against against the descriptions if you have any doubts.

If you would like to extend the sheet (perhaps by adding additional items, spells, etc.), you can add additional rows to the "Lookups" tab of your copy as desired. There are various named ranges for the different data elements, so be sure to extend these to accommodate any new rows you might enter. You can check the data validation rules for the cells in question to see how the selections are generated.

Enjoy!
Attachments
BFRPG_v1.2.ods
(48.8 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
MrDave

Re: Character Sheet with Automation

Post by MrDave »

This is great! Not sure if my players or I myself would use it, but I like the idea of having an automated character sheet.

By the way, does it support any optional rules? Like racial thief skills modifiers
sean8223

Post by sean8223 »

I only implemented tables from the core rules (since that's what I use for the most part). However, it should be straightforward to extend the sheet.

The "Lookups" tab contains the brains of the whole thing. If the racial thief modifiers are static, adding new columns to the "Races" range and referencing them in a way similar to saving throw modifiers should suffice. If the bonuses are a function of the character's level, a new lookup patterned after "Classes" would with a Race|Level type key would be the way to go.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

sean8223 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:55 pm I only implemented tables from the core rules (since that's what I use for the most part). However, it should be straightforward to extend the sheet.

The "Lookups" tab contains the brains of the whole thing. If the racial thief modifiers are static, adding new columns to the "Races" range and referencing them in a way similar to saving throw modifiers should suffice. If the bonuses are a function of the character's level, a new lookup patterned after "Classes" would with a Race|Level type key would be the way to go.
Okay, cool, thanks!
I'll try doing that if my players say they'll use this sheet