The Warden Tree of Tarljara

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Blorpy

The Warden Tree of Tarljara

Post by Blorpy »

Hello, fellow BFRPG fans!

I love all the great work that has come out of this community, and it has inspired me to try my hand at adventure writing. So, here is the first draft of my module. Enjoy!

-Gavin
Attachments
The-Warden-Tree-of-Tarljara-r6.pdf
(5.39 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
The-Warden-Tree-of-Tarljara-r6.odt
(28.55 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by Blorpy on Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rudgar

Re: The Warden Tree of Tarljara

Post by rudgar »

I like the maps - looking forward to reading this!
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Thanks! Very kind of you to say so. I am looking forward to your thoughts on it! Praise and criticism are equally welcome. :D
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Here's a proposed r2.
I fixed most of the monster stat-blocks and hitpoint boxes. In the latter half or last third, all of the room key headers weren't set to the style, so I fixed that. I also re-insterted the maps in larger single-column pages.
I haven't done a full read-through/edit, will do that in the near future.
- page 4, #12: hitpoint values & boxes needed
- monster names, if not part of a full/proper name (like "Ogden the Ogre"), shouldn't be capitalized
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Don't forget you can do checkboxes with this tool:

https://www.basicfantasy.org/checkboxer.html
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

chiisu81 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:17 am Here's a proposed r2.
I fixed most of the monster stat-blocks and hitpoint boxes. In the latter half or last third, all of the room key headers weren't set to the style, so I fixed that. I also re-insterted the maps in larger single-column pages.
I haven't done a full read-through/edit, will do that in the near future.
- page 4, #12: hitpoint values & boxes needed
- monster names, if not part of a full/proper name (like "Ogden the Ogre"), shouldn't be capitalized
Thank you so much for your time and consideration on this, James! I know this is a long one to get through. I did another editing pass and uploaded R2. Part of my formatting issues with this module had to do with having written it over top another module which created some anomalies that are beyond my word processor abilities. By contrast, with Heart of Darkness I simply used the prescribed template and encountered fewer problems overall.
Solomoriah wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:37 pm Don't forget you can do checkboxes with this tool:

https://www.basicfantasy.org/checkboxer.html
Thank you for this, Chris! That looks like a very useful tool which I'll be sure to utilise in the future!
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Evening, gents (and non-gents). I just completed a big update to this. New maps, reworkings and edits. Everything should be a bit more fleshed out. The Ore Mine now has a full dungeon with a bit of a horror theme going for it.

It was prompted by my players unexpectedly going to Tarljara despite having signalled the week prior that they were heading elsewhere. I hadn't really thought about this module for a while, so after that session I went through with fresh eyes and hammered down a bunch of things I wasn't happy with. One thing in particular was that they didn't really have to investigate the town much to figure out where to go, so I've added a red herring location to give the adventure some breathing room. This sort of worked out in my game anyway. They had just left Tower of the Stargazer empty-handed, as they couldn't figure out the treasure puzzle in that adventure, and they seemed in need of getting back to where the action is. Thankfully, they haven't got far in WTT's main dungeon, so I was able to go through and make it even more dungeony!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Poisonous water seems like a major feature.
I'd expect there would be a major water trade. It's not like children and nursing mothers could survive on wine and beer. Could use more details, like where can the PCs find something to drink and at what prices.

Maybe the NPC cast should be in alphabetical order?

Wondering Monsters. Should monsters from one of the field guides be identified as such? Maybe with footnotes or something?

A2. The guard dogs should have names.
Last edited by Seven on Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven

Post by Seven »

A3. "If the PCs explore the small cave behind the waterfall, they will find a Ring of Lightning Resistance."

Unless it's sitting on a velvet pillow in plain view, there should only be a small chance of finding it.

A4. Spider swarm? Those are flying spiders? Why not use an insect swarm?
Last edited by Seven on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ooh... a magic ring on a red velvet pillow with gold tassels, in the middle of a dirty cave behind a waterfall.

Do you pick it up?

Do you... put it on?

:D :D :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org