Simplified Saving Throws

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
MisterFowler

Simplified Saving Throws

Post by MisterFowler »

I have been a lurker and have decided to get my hat in the ring contributing to the Basic Fantasy game. This is my first article and it is a simple adaptation of the third edition D&D saves to Basic Fantasy. It reduces the saves down from 5 types to three, making choosing a save for something easy to decide upon.

I've never been a fan of the old saves, and I hope this hasn't been submitted before. It fits right into the way basic fantasy does saves and requires nothing more than the basic rules.

Edited to have a border on save tables that makes distinguishing between classes easier. Also, added the release version to file names.
Attachments
Simplified Saves-r3.pdf
(63.26 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Simplified Saves-r3.odt
(26.14 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by MisterFowler on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sending you much aloha.
teaman

Re: Simplified Saving Throws

Post by teaman »

MisterFowler wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:08 pm I have been a lurker and have decided to get my hat in the ring contributing to the Basic Fantasy game. This is my first article and it is a simple adaptation of the third edition D&D saves to Basic Fantasy. It reduces the saves down from 5 types to three, making choosing a save for something easy to decide upon.

I've never been a fan of the old saves, and I hope this hasn't been submitted before. It fits right into the way basic fantasy does saves and requires nothing more than the basic rules.
Very nice, always good to have options for folks who want them. That's what's great about old school.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

Good idea! Only things I’d add are the revised racial bonuses, and the standard dual column formatting, but otherwise, looks good.

I agree that the 3.5 saves probably make more sense, but I’m in the camp that prefers the idiosyncratic old school version “just ‘cause”. I don’t know, maybe it’s that it’s so old and weird that it’s acquired a life and verisimilitude of its own, but I just like it. A recent player of mine who I used to play 3.5 with over a decade ago and reconnected with said “I look forward to you describing these death rays”.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Check the Saving Throw Options for comparison and formatting.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
MisterFowler

Post by MisterFowler »

Dimirag wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:35 pm Check the Saving Throw Options for comparison and formatting.
How did I miss this?

EDIT: Ah, not on the Downloads page.
Sending you much aloha.
MisterFowler

Post by MisterFowler »

Blorpy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:25 pm Good idea! Only things I’d add are the revised racial bonuses, and the standard dual column formatting, but otherwise, looks good.

I agree that the 3.5 saves probably make more sense, but I’m in the camp that prefers the idiosyncratic old school version “just ‘cause”. I don’t know, maybe it’s that it’s so old and weird that it’s acquired a life and verisimilitude of its own, but I just like it. A recent player of mine who I used to play 3.5 with over a decade ago and reconnected with said “I look forward to you describing these death rays”.
Updated to formatting and adding the racial modifiers.
Sending you much aloha.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

MisterFowler wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 pm How did I miss this?

EDIT: Ah, not on the Downloads page.
If you miss the Showcase, you miss most of the cool stuff....
MisterFowler wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:59 pm Updated to formatting and adding the racial modifiers.
Proper procedure for new updates is to increase the release number by one, in this case your files should be named "Simplified Saves-R2"
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, there should never be publicly-available documents with the same R-number and different contents. If you release a new version, you should bump the R-number.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
MisterFowler

Post by MisterFowler »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:01 pm Yes, there should never be publicly-available documents with the same R-number and different contents. If you release a new version, you should bump the R-number.
Re-uploaded the revised version to say version 2. I'm learning!
Sending you much aloha.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

File names still needs editing...

Wrong
Simplified Saves.pdf
Simplified Saves.odt

Right
Simplified Saves-r2.pdf
Simplified Saves-r2.odt