Mystics

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Blorpy

Re: Mystic Guardians (formerly Spellswords)

Post by Blorpy »

Great suggestions! I’ll do another pass and upload more material when I’ve got some time. Thinking of maybe adding some kind of innate ‘magic sense’, sort of like detect magic except longer range and the Mystic Guardian doesn’t know exactly where it’s coming from.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

How about, instead of longer range, you can have the mystic be able to focus on one object for like 10 minutes and find out it’s properties?
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

TrickyNikki wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:21 pm Hey there sir,

I've looked at the spells of the Artist formerly known as Spellsword. Here's my feedback on each one:

Charge Object - 1d6+1 would sway almost nothing in battle. It's nice that you cannot save for half or whatever. I once again call to the fact that fire as a damage type here doesn't make sense to me. In this instant, I would either make it damage, just like as a magic missile or perhaps some new type, but a rock exploding is more like bludgeoning or concussive damage. When a grenade explodes, it does not fire damage, is it? It's not a Molotov cocktail. I would also suggest that the damage should be at least 2d6+2 or maybe it can grow as levels grow, akin to Magic Missile.

Cloak - Wow. What an awesome spell. I enjoy the way it works, the limitations. I perhaps would add that if the HD is high enough they would also get the save... like 8 HD or more.

Enhance Spell - Needs a lot more clarification: When can it be cast? How long can you hold on to the effect? Does it work like a double-tap, as if you cast this AND then another spell or only on the NEXT turn?

Extinguish - Should be level 1 honestly.

Jump - Should be level 2. Nice spell.

Lightning Blade - Good clarifications.

Magnetic Pull - Badass.

Nova - At first I did not like it at the time of my initial reading, but after thinking about it for a while, it's a nice balance of something that could be a fireball, but ultimately is not. Nice design.

Pyrotechnics - As I said before, temporarily does not mean much... Is this like 1 round? 1 turn? If it's the same as the duration of the spell, maybe specify that. It's a leap I can make, but some may not. I think 3 rounds of blindness at level three is SUPER strong. I would also make it maybe, save vs Paralysis? Spell dominates so much, and it makes more sense for it to be something akin to Petrifying, since you are blinded.

Shatter Stone - I like this one a lot, interesting ways to use it.

Shocking Grasp - Very strong, nice.

Smoke - Another cool spell.

Spontaneous Combustion - How long does this last? Why is the duration immediate and not instantnenous?

Telekinetic Blast - I would maybe lower the damage on this almost, like a 1d3. A d4 is quite strong with the bonus effect of knocking them around.

Telekinetic Push - This one does the correct amount of damage and gives a cool visual.

Telepathy - Cool spell.

Ward Evil - I like this spell. Maybe make it reversible? So we can have Ward Good.

Hope this is helpful :)
Alright! I finally had a moment to dive in and do an R10/R1 release. I think I pretty much agreed with all of what you said here. And hopefully the clarifications requested are now answered. Again, great comments! The Spellsword has certainly come a long way from humble beginnings!

I also finally realized what Dimirag was getting at regarding the need to include dual-wielding rules, as they're not actually in the core book! LOL. In which case, I decided to make dual-wielding optional with this class, as I wouldn't want there to be a situation where the Mystic Guardian can dual wield while the Fighter cannot.

Edit: thinking more on it, I might tweak charge object a bit more. The inspiration for it was of course the grey Wizard in the Hobbit throwing pinecones that set the goblins on fire. But here’s a thought: what if it works differently depending on the object in question? Charging a rock leads to concussive damage, whereas charging a pinecone deals lower fire damage but has the utility of setting things on fire?

Perhaps the original 1d6+1 was a little low, but I was trying to take into account that it’s area of effect and has some utility. I agree it should scale a bit in any case.
Last edited by Blorpy on Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blorpy

Re: Mystics (formerly Spellswords)

Post by Blorpy »

Uploaded a new version. A few small changes. Decided to go back to mystics just cuz it's shorter. I think it's about ready for submission now.

Edit: And it's on Showcase! Thankyou to all the contributors on this. Your feedback was very helpful!
Last edited by Blorpy on Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimirag

Re: Mystics (formerly Spellswords)

Post by Dimirag »

Some suggestions:

1: Remove the files from the thread, so people download the one from the Showcase and any updates you do, you'll do it on one place alone.
2: Remove the mention of a r11/2, as its makes things confusing.
3: Put a direct link to the showcase file on the first post.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Blorpy

Re: Mystics

Post by Blorpy »

Dimirag wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:07 pm Some suggestions:

1: Remove the files from the thread, so people download the one from the Showcase and any updates you do, you'll do it on one place alone.
2: Remove the mention of a r11/2, as its makes things confusing.
3: Put a direct link to the showcase file on the first post.
Right you are, right you are! :lol: