Basic Fantasy RPG for FoundryVTT

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
RamsHornStudios

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG for FoundryVTT

Post by RamsHornStudios »

This is my VTT of choice and I would love to help make this System more useful for players and GM's as well.
sirkerry

Post by sirkerry »

Is there a list of recommended/suggested additional FoundryVTT modules to use with the Basic Fantasy RPG ruleset somewhere?
miqued

Post by miqued »

Hamish The PolarBear wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:11 pm Has anyone put the existing adventure modules into FVTT yet? What are the rules about doing that[?]
To my knowledge, nobody has done that yet. As far as I'm aware, the only thing you possibly could not use without permission is any artwork. I'm not sure exactly, since, on the one hand, it's a 1:1 adaptation from the analog format to the VTT, but, on the other hand, it's also technically a new thing. I don't have a clue there, sorry. It's why I didn't include any tokens in the module I made for the Field Guide Volume 1. If that gets cleared up though, I have the tokens already made and ready to be implemented, at least for the monsters that have artwork in the book.
Hamish The PolarBear wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:11 pm ... would I be able to share them if I set them up for my group to play or would I need to submit the FVTT version here?
I did both with the Field Guide module, submitted to Foundry (so it can be installed from the program) and it also has a page in these forums with the original pre-github files as well as links to the github page and manifest. I believe the Core Rules module is done the same way, as is of course the system itself here. So, I would say it'd be good to do both.
sirkerry wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:41 pm Is there a list of recommended/suggested additional FoundryVTT modules to use with the Basic Fantasy RPG ruleset somewhere?
Besides the Core Rules module and the Field Guide Volume 1 module, and any others specifically for Basic Fantasy that may come in the future, I think BaileyWiki did a video for more or less "universal modules everyone should use", or something like that, on YouTube. I only saw it in passing, though, so I haven't watched it to see if any of it is good or helpful for Basic Fantasy.

As an aside that's related to my first bit, I'm personally waiting until these SRD flags + changes are complete for a given work before continuing anything. I did the Field Guide Volume 1, and was working through the Equipment Emporium when this all started. I am lazy, or at least lazy enough that I don't want to do any more in case something gets changed. Unless there's a far faster way that I'm unaware of, it's tedious as it is putting the data in the first time by hand, and I'd rather avoid having to backtrack, edit, remove, and add stuff again.

My personal plan, unless I see someone else is working on something, is first redo FG1 with any 4th edition changes, then complete EE to its 4E spec. For me then, it'll just be a wait-and-see for things that get cleared for a 4E release. Ideally I'd want to do additional race and class modules first and then the New Spells module. That, along with maybe a module adding a field on character sheets to add a background (from the background skills module), would cover just about anything I can think someone might need, besides adventures and maybe a handful of other supplements.

I don't know what anyone else might be working on or planning to work on. So, regarding my second response to Hamish, I'd say it'd be a good idea to post on these forums when you have a working draft module, to avoid multiple people trying to make the same exact Foundry module. It's also a good idea to keep Foundry modules 1:1 with Basic Fantasy modules. For example, although the gnome supplement is literally just the gnome, it should also be its own Foundry module and not simply put into a FVTT module with a bunch of other races. Well, that's my opinion at least and the example I'm going to follow...
Mique D.
https://liquidmiqued.substack.com
MeWe: Mique D
RamsHornStudios

I agree with keeping the Foundry modules 1:1 with the BFRPG supplements, that way folks can tailor their Foundry setup to match their tabletop setup.
Hamish The PolarBear

Post by Hamish The PolarBear »

It is my initial intention to get BF1 into FVTT so that I can start playing with our new group.

Would maps count as part of the artwork or do they count as main content? Narrative and maps would be the primary content that I would need to enter. I think almost everything else is either cosmetic or from the main rules anyway.

I think the best thing to do is get on with the setup and then I can post something back here with a link to what I have done for us. Then I could take more specific advice before I submit anything public for FVTT.

In the long term, if I get permissions and stuff sorted out then I would proceed with the other BFx series modules and I would also stick to the 1:1 relationship as suggested for any other modules / compilations. It would mean some of the anthology ones would take longer to do but that is OK.
miqued

Post by miqued »

Hamish The PolarBear wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:50 pm Would maps count as part of the artwork or do they count as main content?
I have no idea. I figured Solo or someone else who knows might be able to answer that, but they're probably busy with the rewrites and proofreading for now.
Hamish The PolarBear wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:50 pm I think the best thing to do is get on with the setup and then I can post something back here with a link to what I have done for us.
You could do that, but I'd say it merits its own post. Speaking for myself at least, when I go to a Workshop page to download something, I don't necessarily go through every page to make sure I get everything. I usually just look at the first post unless I have a question or issue with that specific thing to see if it's already been answered or fixed.
Mique D.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Where maps are part of an adventure, they must be under the same license as the text of the adventure. Required art is distinct from decorative art.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
miqued

Post by miqued »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:01 pm Where maps are part of an adventure, they must be under the same license as the text of the adventure. Required art is distinct from decorative art.
My question then is: is it OK to use decorative art (e.g. those for monsters) in these VTT modules, say, as tokens? Is there any restriction for sharing those projects with those artworks via the VTT's own channels, provided everything also links back here and credits contributors properly?

For example, Foundry has its own publishing pipeline that allows its modules to be downloaded from within the program, like how Roll20 has its marketplace. The source code for the modules is generally hosted in git repositories. It wouldn't be difficult at all to include a credits file with the module, though it is something I didn't think of until just now. I don't believe anyone so far has given credit to Basic Fantasy contributors for the works with modules so far, being the Core Rulebook and FG1 for now.
Mique D.
RamsHornStudios

Yeah, we should definitely have a credits file included.

I'm fine giving permission for my own (admittedly few) contributions to be used with VTT modules.
miqued

Post by miqued »

RamsHornStudios wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:44 pm Yeah, we should definitely have a credits file included.

I'm fine giving permission for my own (admittedly few) contributions to be used with VTT modules.
I just added one for the Field Guide. Just a copy/paste of the credits inside the front cover. I don't know why it didn't occur to me until just now.
Mique D.