Basic Fantasy RPG for FoundryVTT

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Orffen

Basic Fantasy RPG for FoundryVTT

Post by Orffen »

After an almost vertical learning curve, I'm proud to release R1 of the Basic Fantasy RPG system for the Foundry virtual tabletop, available here: https://github.com/orffen/basicfantasyrpg. This system isn't yet available on the FoundryVTT system browser - I think it needs more testing and feedback before it's released there - but it can be installed using the manifest file.

R1 is what I consider a minimum viable product. There is a complete character and monster sheet available, with what I'd consider the bare minimum rollable functions off the sheets - saves, attacks, damage, and "special abilities" (which can cover anything from thief abilities to searching for doors).

You'll be able to create items, spells, weapons, armor etc. but none are included in this release. I plan to add these as compendiums, but I'm still considering whether to add them to the base system, or as a separate module to allow for others to create their own modules as well - extra items, other languages etc. This would mean someone could install the base system and then add their chosen flavour of compendiums.

I am planning a number of improvements in the future as well, with my focus being on Game Masters. At this stage I'm thinking the character sheet should remain relatively basic to allow for flexibility in including additional content. There are quality of life features included, however (for example, automatic calculation of load).

I've paid particular attention to the licensing as well - I'd appreciate if someone could look over the LICENSE.txt and README.md files and let me know if any changes are required. The software is licensed under the MIT License, and is explicit that all other content is under the OGL (with a link to the full license text in the SRD).

Please do share your feedback, and if you find any issues please post them on the GitHub issues tracker.
Orffen

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG for FoundryVTT

Post by Orffen »

Images of the character sheet are available here: https://imgur.com/a/39pVEqX

And some of the monster sheet and an example of the chat rolls: https://imgur.com/a/EkXRjXq

AB and XP is automatically calculated for monsters, and I plan to make No. Appearing, Hit Dice, Treasure Types rollable directly from the sheet as well.

Orffen

Post by Orffen »

Release 2 is now available. I've improved the item list by showing quantity and price, and the spells "prepared" counter can now be incremented/decremented directly from the character sheet spells list.

Hit dice, morale, and number appearing are all now rollable directly from the monster sheet. I also added Special Abilities to the sheet, since I can think of a number of possible uses for rollable special abilities for monsters. :)
Orffen

Post by Orffen »

Release 3 is out a little earlier than I had planned, I found a bug in the Hit Dice roll formula which I thought warranted a release.

I was working off the character sheet rather than the core book and I found I'd named a saving throw "Paralysis or Turn to Stone", but in the 3rd Edition of the core rules the throw is named "Paralysis or Petrify", so that's been cleaned up.

Additionally, I was finding the melee attack/ranged attack/damage icons on the character sheet a bit hard to discern so these were updated as well. They're not final; I might have to create some clearer icons for these.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Foundry is open source right? I've been playing in 'The Pit' collab hexcrawl and I'm using so many different things to run my game, Owlbear for the tabletop, Unseen Servant for dice rolls and Evernote for character tracking.. might be nice to put them all in one!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Orffen

Post by Orffen »

dymondy2k wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:52 pm Foundry is open source right? I've been playing in 'The Pit' collab hexcrawl and I'm using so many different things to run my game, Owlbear for the tabletop, Unseen Servant for dice rolls and Evernote for character tracking.. might be nice to put them all in one!
Foundry itself isn't open source, but it is very developer friendly, and most of the systems and modules are open source. Compared to Roll20 for example, Foundry needs to be hosted somewhere (or run locally on your machine) - personally I run it on a server, but there are hosting providers as well.

You will also need to buy Foundry to use it - just a one-off purchase, and it's a hosting license so no purchase needed for any other players. Details here: https://foundryvtt.com/

Roll20 does have a Basic Fantasy RPG character sheet - I think Solo may have made it. And you can use Roll20 for free with the sheet, but there aren't any monster sheets. Another alternative is Fantasy Grounds, but unfortunately that VTT doesn't have the Basic Fantasy RPG system - though it does have several other fantasy systems.

I'd like to put together a video tour of Foundry VTT with my Basic Fantasy RPG system to give people a better idea of how it works, but that's a far off plan that I suspect would take more time than I imagine.
loopylobo

Post by loopylobo »

I've been playing on "The Pit" server in Discord as well, and just this week was wondering if Foundry had a BFRPG module. I guess I am going to try it out this weekend! Thanks.
aries04

Post by aries04 »

Are there any thoughts or feelings about an import module or portion of the system module for the official PDFs? I know there's one for PF2 that allows importing of the PDFs and it creates the necessary elements to either use the rulebook or play the adventure.

I'm by no means a JS pro, but I am a developer and should probably learn some JS. Could be a fun project.
Orffen

Post by Orffen »

loopylobo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:47 pm I've been playing on "The Pit" server in Discord as well, and just this week was wondering if Foundry had a BFRPG module. I guess I am going to try it out this weekend! Thanks.
Great! Please let me know how it goes and if you have any feedback!
aries04 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:44 pm Are there any thoughts or feelings about an import module or portion of the system module for the official PDFs? I know there's one for PF2 that allows importing of the PDFs and it creates the necessary elements to either use the rulebook or play the adventure.

I'm by no means a JS pro, but I am a developer and should probably learn some JS. Could be a fun project.
I wasn't planning anything like this, but I do plan to create compendiums for the core book. Would love to see it if you come up with it!
feganegg

Post by feganegg »

I've been watching out for a BFRPG foundry module for age. I tried making one myself but it was beyond me. I've been looking through it and it looks great. I love the simplicity which will really allow people to add what they want to their game.
One thing that would be fantastic for future releases is to be able to whisper the ability rolls to the gm. I played with the formula but couldn't get it to work.
That way you can ask a player to roll a move silently or remove traps and only the gm would know the results.