Ebonbenter Tor

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Title Pending - Dungeon by Bob Benton

Post by Solomoriah »

chiisu81 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:22 am
Solomoriah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:49 pm It's my hope that this adventure can be fitted into AA4 when it is collected.
Absolutely 8-) Like Alan's adventure in AA2, I'd like Bob's to be the first entry in AA4.
One could wish this didn't become a "thing."

But it probably will.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: [AA4] Title Pending - Dungeon by Bob Benton

Post by Solomoriah »

Uploaded R3. All rooms that Bob detailed in his text have been detailed in the new document. I've made just one change of substance... I altered the friendly otter-like creature in N, changing her gender and giving her a name, Florai. It seems likely, if she is discovered, that she might join the party at least briefly, so even given that she speaks an unknown language she still needed a name.

Bob left S unfinished, but had written down T, which indirectly (well really, directly) defines the contents of U as well. I broke T down to T, TU, and U, as mentioned previously. Bob didn't explain several things, which he either had in his head or planned to deal with at game time, and I did have to fill them in. The statues at H (I think) are not yet detailed, and I'm not sure how to handle them exactly, but I'll figure something out.

This leaves rooms V, W, X, Y, and Z. I mentioned Z above... it appears to contain a big treasure, but it seems unlikely that it's all real.

So I rolled on Moldvay's table and got two empty rooms, a monster, a trap, and a special. Z is either the trap or the special. For the monster I rolled on Moldvay's level 1 table twice, in keeping with Bob's mixed monster groups, and got Skeleton and Snake, Cobra. I have a wonderful idea for that pairing that I think he would have appreciated, and I'll stick them in one of the rooms from V to W.

Finally, I selected six monster types for the random encounters table. I pulled them from a longer table Bob had prepared, which was not with this adventure but just in the same pile. I haven't done stats yet but I'll get that done for R4.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Oh, one more thing... the Uncanny Sorcerer had a wand of polymorph at one time, but it's empty and discarded now. (Might want to drop it into a room...) The "demon" could be his loyal guard dog, which he polymorphed into something more threatening. This would be great actually, as it could be a bigger monster but would have only the hit points of a guard dog.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:17 am Oh, one more thing... the Uncanny Sorcerer had a wand of polymorph at one time, but it's empty and discarded now. (Might want to drop it into a room...) The "demon" could be his loyal guard dog, which he polymorphed into something more threatening. This would be great actually, as it could be a bigger monster but would have only the hit points of a guard dog.
This is something I did in my campaign.

In this case, maybe something like an owlbear.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I was actually thinking about an owlbear...
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here is an idea for Hall QA and Room Z. The doorway from QA to Z could be a permanent illusion. When a party actually makes it to Z the room has just a few hundred CP that are stepped into the clay floor and are rather difficult to get out. I think also that the Uncanny Sorcerer has used the treasure to bribe the Orcs, Goblins and Kobolds that are found in the dungeon and the treasures found with them are from the main treasure from Room Z.

If you don't want to use it that's OK, it's just a thought.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That sounds good... I particularly like that there was a treasure, but it's been spent. I'm going to assume that the treasure the sorcerer found was actually already pretty well depleted, and he scraped up everything that wasn't stuck to the floor.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I would love to playtest this.. looking at the encounters it feels maybe levels 1-3?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That's what I'm thinking. 3 to 6 characters of levels 1 to 3.
rredmond

Re: Title Pending - Dungeon by Bob Benton

Post by rredmond »

Seven wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:08 am It does reminds me a lot of the Holmes sample dungeon, The Tower of Zenopus.
It has that nice feel to it, I agree.
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.