My MERP - BFRPG Conversions

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
tkdco2

My MERP - BFRPG Conversions

Post by tkdco2 »

I admit it; I'm a diehard Tolkien fan. I have been gaming in Middle-earth both online and in tabletop RPGs for years.

During the lockdown I ran a game via Tabletop Simulator using the Middle Earth Role Playing (MERP) system. My players didn't like the system very much; most thought it was too cumbersome. So I decided to convert the system to Basic Fantasy. Here are my notes, along with those from people who helped me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MdB ... sp=sharing

One thing to note is that I am converting the game system rather than trying to get the "feel" of a Tolkien campaign. I will leave that interpretation to the Game Master. MERP has been criticized of having too much magic for a Middle-earth game, but you can say the same thing about online games like The Lord of the Rings Online, and I don't see anyone having a problem with that game.

I had done something similar with B/X, but I think BFRPG offers more options. Even if you're not too familiar with MERP, maybe you can find something interesting here. I hope you enjoy this work.
tkdco2

Re: My MERP - BFRPG Conversions

Post by tkdco2 »

As requested, here's an ODT attachment:
MERP TO BFRPG CONVERSION.odt
(27.9 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
And I may as well add a few of my personal house rules.

House Rules for BFRPG Middle-earth

1. Even when playing Basic/Expert D&D, I already adopted the "roll 4d6, drop lowest die, and assign values as desired" method. I also allowed maximum hit points at level 1. I will continue using these methods.

2. While I keep the "death at zero hit points" rule, I often use a "three strikes, you're out" rule. That is, characters who reach zero hit points are incapacitated the first two times, but they cannot cheat death a third time.
I've used this for my MERP game. The three strikes rule was used cumulatively then, but using it each adventure may help low-level characters survive longer.

3. A character who fails a saving throw vs. poison from a spider bite may not die but instead fall into a death-like coma for a day. This seems to have happened to Thorin & Company as well as Frodo.

4. Rather than drain levels, undead may drain constitution instead. Wights and wraiths drain 1-6 points, while spectres and vampires drain 2-8 points. Constitution points are restored at a rate of 1 point per day. This rule was created by a poster known as Melan.
Note that hit points gained through CON bonuses are also lost, but they are regained as the CON bonuses are restored.

5. I may change the names of the character classes to better fit a Middle-earth setting. This change is purely cosmetic; all game mechanics remain the same. I'm following the list of MERP classes, but I'm assuming BFRPG/OSR systems will be used.

Fighters are renamed Warriors. This just seems to fit better in Middle-earth.

Clerics are renamed Healers. This will avoid the "no clerics in Middle-earth" argument. I will also allow healers to heal 1-3 hit points per adventure.

Thieves are renamed Burglars. This just seems right for the campaign.

Magic-users are renamed Seers. There are only five Wizards, and they're all NPCs. Sorcerer is another possible name for the class, but the term has a negative connotation in Tolkien's works.

Bards are renamed Minstrels. Again, this just seems more in tune with Middle-earth.

Rangers are renamed Hunters. While "Ranger" fits well in Middle-earth, the term may be reserved for the Dunedain in Arthedain and Ithilien.

Paladins are renamed Champions. While the paladin class isn't in the MERP rulebook, I don't have a problem including the class.

More house rules:

I am considering using critical hits and fumbles. BFRPG has rules for that on its Downloads section, but I'm thinking of using a modified version of the Dragon article "Good Hits, Bad Misses."

I may allow fighters to specialize and dual wield weapons. I allow B/X abilities such as shield bash and set spear vs. charge.

While I have a lot of MERP material and plan to make good use of them (my whole point of doing the conversion in the first place), I know these books are long out of print and usually expensive when you find them on sale. I have been thinking of running a game using only Robert Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-earth and Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-earth. These books are still in print and reasonably priced. They're also useful to pass around to players who successfully research any information relevant to their adventure.
tkdco2

Re: My MERP - BFRPG Conversions

Post by tkdco2 »

I apologize for bumping this thread up, but I noticed over 100 views and several downloads of my Open Office document. While the Google Docs link remains active, here is a PDF version available for direct download if people prefer this method.
MERP TO BFRPG CONVERSION.pdf
(77.54 KiB) Downloaded 162 times