Terror in Tosasth

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Terror in Tosasth

Post by chiisu81 »

I'd just write it as "roll an INT check (1 in 6, +1 for INT 15+ and +1 for Elves), as if the characters were searching for secret doors."
leon

Post by leon »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:44 am Okay, so... Leon, I want to say I'm well aware you've been ignored up to now, and I'm sorry about that.
No worries at all.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:44 am I will of course be redoing it as a CC BY-SA release (and I'm assuming you expect and do agree to that... tell me if I'm wrong). That, and a flow pass, and I'll get an R16 on the Downloads page.
Release 18 is already CC BY-SA. You probably noticed this by now.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:49 am -- I cringe at the term "passive perception check" but on the other hand the mechanic given is pretty much what I'd do. I don't know what that says about me.

-- I'm not sure what the note about "risking a wandering monsters roll" means. The mechanic described isn't specific about that; how does the risk arise?
Yes, "passive perception check" might be confused with mechanics from other games. Maybe these are better described as extra details. Sometimes I roll as described to provide bonus info. Sometimes I will offer them up for free if it might push things forward. And if players look directly at an item ("I look at the urns"), I will immediately give up the detail ("The urns are painted with the horned face of Molok.")

My point about encouraging questions is that if the players are going back and forth, asking me questions, that's fun and I reward them with immediate answers. If they do a standard, "we search the room," then it's going to take 10 minutes and I'm going to check for wandering monsters.

I can edit this for clarity.
Solomoriah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:40 am You mention two adventures by other authors. I'd like to add a short paragraph just above that bit that mentions the source book by name. Unless you tell me otherwise, I'm just going to go ahead and do it.
Maybe I should just add (available in Adventure Anthology One) after the title of the adventure. What else were you planning to say?

If you haven't yet made a r19, I'll make edits and upload r19 tomorrow.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

EmptyZ Campaign Blog: emptyz.com/blog
Personal Blog: leonatkinson.com
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yes, do that. I lost track and did not realize there was an R18. Fortunately my changes are small.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
leon

Post by leon »

Release 19 is on the top post with the two changes discussed. I rewrote the obscure details text to be...
Many area descriptions have obscure details (non-obvious elements that may be interesting to the PCs) marked with a ►. These details may always be found by spending a turn searching a 10’ area, which probably requires a roll for wandering monsters. Obscure details may also be noticed immediately by chance. Use the probabilities presented in the core rules for detecting secret doors. One detail is found on a roll of 1 on 1d6. Extend the range by 1 for INT 15+. Additionally, extend by 1 for elves. A smart elf notices an obscure detail 3 in 6 times.

If a player poses a question that matches a given obscure detail, provide that information immediately. Players may learn that asking precise questions avoids the danger of wandering monsters. Details may also be revealed at GM discretion as a way of keeping the game flowing.
Not sure I like that period dangling after the "15+". Maybe James is right that it should just be a single, compact sentence.

Looking at that ► symbol reminds me that we could use something more flavorful. I might look for a free wingding font with a different symbol. I think I'll also look for a different font than Queen Empress for the title page. LMK if either of those are a hassle. I'll leave it to you to update the styles to the latest standard fonts in the latest templates.
I solemnly swear to fulfill the game master's oath to the best of my ability and judgment.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I never write "15+", I always write "15 or higher" or "15 or more" or the like. I have some possibly weird rules about how I write things.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

BTW I am building an R20 right now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Leon, do you have Dropbox installed? I'd like to connect you to our Artists folder so you can upload original-quality versions of your art for this book. For publication purposes it may need some adjustment; black and white book printing isn't as nice as color, and I've kind of worked out how to get along with it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

By the way... checkboxes for breath weapons. GENIUS! No idea why I never thought of that...
leon

Post by leon »

"15 or higher" makes sense.

I have access to your Projects folder on Dropbox. I previously shared the 300dpi versions of the art. I just shared the 600dpi versions with you in the "Art Source" folder in my Dropbox--about 188mb. The artwork is all grayscale.

Nah, the checkboxes for breath weapons is obvious. I have some vague memory of seeing it used elsewhere.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-02-09 08-07-49.png
Screenshot from 2023-02-09 08-07-49.png (48.98 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Screenshot from 2023-02-09 08-06-41.png
Screenshot from 2023-02-09 08-06-41.png (51.02 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks!

I'm a bit buried under other stuff tonight but hope to work on this more tomorrow.